Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 04:20 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,734,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I will admit, that smoking is certainly not good for anyone...however, as in every issue...people take it to the entire other end of the spectrum...

there are less people smoking now then ever before...

and it's no one's business who is smoking where or when, that is there choice...

has anyone walked into cancer centers of late, and seen all the little kids who have cancer? It's not from second hand smoke, or from smoking, cancer is an epedemic...why?

well, for one, all the chemical spills and accidents...all the crapola being washed into our streams and water tables...all the arsenic they put in water...all the chemicals in the foods we digest...fumes from trucks and cars...not to mention all the bomb testing back in the what, early 40's? And lets not forget about the radon in the ground...how many homes are filled with radon...how many cabinets are build with formaltihide? Oh, and lets not forget those scents we burn in the home which are toxic...

My Gosh people, wake up...they've brainwashed you into believing that smoking is much worse then it is. I'm not saying smoking isn't bad for you, but I've lost several close friends from cancer who never smoked a day in they're lives...

I cannot believe how small some of our worlds are, that we actually dismiss all this other stuff...? And I cannot believe the amount of control freaks who harp on this constantly, but don't give a darn about all the above...

If you'd do some research and check out land fills and what is draining into our water tables, geeze louise...?????

Why don't you energize your hostility towards those issues. Look at all those girls in up state NY who developed those tics...and now they think it was from a chemical spill years ago.

No one knows how long chemcials stay in the ground...that is proven. And we're breathing all those toxins into our bodies.

My cousin's daughter worked down in Delaware for two years...there were 3 chemical accidents from plants down there, which never made the news or the papers.
The next generation of kids are going to glow.
Many excellent points. Some people need to get a life and try to live it. Great post!

Last edited by PurpleRain_1; 02-04-2012 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 04:30 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,888,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I'd say that's what non-smokers are doing (though some do go too far). And I don't know how else to word it, stillkit, the reason Wayneb and I are saying "Don't smoke near the door, but smoke in an adjacent area" is because we can go AROUND your smoke if you smoke out in the open easier than we can tear a hole in the wall of a building to get inside.

Can't speak for those who don't want you to smoke out in the open or the laws they support. I agree with you that it's overboard though.
Vic, I can tell your a reasonable guy when it comes to this subject. Unfortunantly, you are a rare breed. For most non-smokers who have such hatred for the habbit and those who do it, it wouldn't matter where we as smokers stand, because they may want to go into that air space. If they choose to go into that air space, we had damn well better not be smoking there. I heard someone put it best on a forum when they said, "smokers just want a slice of the pie, but anti-smokers want the entire thing" if that makes any sense to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Is this inadvertently saying that SHS isn't dangerous to people older than 6?
Apparently children over the age of six aren't quite as important

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Classic "google" response.

Quote:
Take a look at some of the oral cancers developed by pipe smokers. At any rate, it is remiss of a doctor not to warn of the dangers of nicotine in any form.

Here is link for you.

TOBACCO ROLE IN THE ETIOLOGY OF ORAL CANCER, PERIODONTAL DISEASE AND OTHER ORAL LESIONS
Quote:
It's "bear" and "dessert". Obese people and people with bad hygiene don't put you at risk by their behavior. That's the bottom line.
Folks this is a classic example of someone who has just bought what they have been fed,like a sheep. I'll bet this person has not read any links or info that could provide an opinion to the contrary of their own, let alone the links they themselves have posted. I am not dismissing the credibility of the links or the info therein, t could be 100% legit, but the point is that some people just follow it blindly, without ever investigating for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Then you misquoted us. Nobody said it doesn't contain harmful substances. It does. What most of us have said (if I may) is that it's not DANGEROUS in normal, every day concentrations. Ask him that the next time you see him.

By the way, just to show how things have changed, I had a doc several years ago who told me smoking is bad for you when you get over a pack a day.
It wouldn't matter. Doctors have been programmed to think the way they do about smoking. You have a cold huh? Quit smoking! You have a cough do you? Quit smoking! You have a butcher knife sticking out the side of your head do you? QUIT SMOKING!

Old 02-04-2012, 04:35 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,244,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Many excellent points. Some people need to get a life and try to live it. Great post!
Thank you, but people will never admit that they are wrong...or try to learn anything about what I posted...they have no clue...

Old 02-04-2012, 04:45 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,407,797 times
Some people will continue to deny the dangers of tobacco use and the dangers posed to others from second hand smoke. There is nothing I can do about that. I am on record saying that tobacco use is dangerous to the users and, in the instance where tobacco use results in smoke, dangerous to others.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Thank you, but people will never admit that they are wrong...or try to learn anything about what I posted...they have no clue...
Truer words my friend. But then that is their problem isn't it?

Old 02-04-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Vic, I can tell your a reasonable guy when it comes to this subject. Unfortunantly, you are a rare breed. For most non-smokers who have such hatred for the habbit and those who do it, it wouldn't matter where we as smokers stand, because they may want to go into that air space. If they choose to go into that air space, we had damn well better not be smoking there. I heard someone put it best on a forum when they said, "smokers just want a slice of the pie, but anti-smokers want the entire thing" if that makes any sense to you.

Apparently children over the age of six aren't quite as important

Classic "google" response.

Folks this is a classic example of someone who has just bought what they have been fed,like a sheep. I'll bet this person has not read any links or info that could provide an opinion to the contrary of their own, let alone the links they themselves have posted. I am not dismissing the credibility of the links or the info therein, t could be 100% legit, but the point is that some people just follow it blindly, without ever investigating for themselves.

It wouldn't matter. Doctors have been programmed to think the way they do about smoking. You have a cold huh? Quit smoking! You have a cough do you? Quit smoking! You have a butcher knife sticking out the side of your head do you? QUIT SMOKING!
I totally agree. Your post is rational, logical and you make very legitimate points. Well stated

Old 02-04-2012, 04:56 PM

t wouldn't matter. Doctors have been programmed to think the way they do about smoking. You have a cold huh? Quit smoking! You have a cough do you? Quit smoking! You have a butcher knife sticking out the side of your head do you? QUIT SMOKING!

Your opinion. I doubt most doctors would agree with your opinion.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:56 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,888,423 times
Quote:
Some people will continue to deny the dangers of tobacco use and the dangers posed to others from second hand smoke. There is nothing I can do about that. I am on record saying that tobacco use is dangerous to the users and, in the instance where tobacco use results in smoke, dangerous to others.
And who are you that we should accept your "on record statement"???? What goves you the authoruty to make such a claim? What research have you done to make this determination? How much can you tell me about the chemical compounds found in SHS? How many experiments have you run? How many studies have you conducted? What are your credentials? THAT is all I really want to know.

Nowhere in this thread have I disagreed that SHS is unhealthy. Nowhere. I am just tired of uninformed people talking about a subject as if they are an expert or know what thery are talking about. What your doctor told you doesn't coun't becauseyou are taking his word. What you have seen in the graphic commercials on mtv doesn't count because you are taking there word. Get out there, read the studies, do the research, and get informed.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
And who are you that we should accept your "on record statement"???? What goves you the authoruty to make such a claim? What research have you done to make this determination? How much can you tell me about the chemical compounds found in SHS? How many experiments have you run? How many studies have you conducted? What are your credentials? THAT is all I really want to know.

Nowhere in this thread have I disagreed that SHS is unhealthy. Nowhere. I am just tired of uninformed people talking about a subject as if they are an expert or know what thery are talking about. What your doctor told you doesn't coun't becauseyou are taking his word. What you have seen in the graphic commercials on mtv doesn't count because you are taking there word. Get out there, read the studies, do the research, and get informed.
I am a person who lives with chronic bronchitis due to exposure from second hand smoke. I have never smoked and I have never been exposed to any other chemicals that could have caused the damage I have to my lungs. There are links on this thread about the dangers of second hand smoke if you take the time to read back.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:03 PM

Just one link from the EPA.

Health Effects | Smoke-free Homes | US Environmental Protection Agency
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies