Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
It took the Whermacht six weeks to conquer Greece in 1940 but the bankers will get it without a fight? If I were Greece I would tell the bankers to be patient or to just shove their demands. The rest of the world should do this to the World Bank and the IMF.

These bankers all need to be told to be patient and you will get some money. Countries should never surrender their economy and our society to the avaricious lenders need for profit.
Greece agreed to the demands. You can't change your mind after you take their money.

Greece made their deal with the devil and now they have to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
These countries do not need to leave the EU. They just have to insist that they will not change their internal finances to make full payments on their loans. They just need to spend their money on themselves and tell the Loan Sharks to bug out until Greece and the others can afford to pay the debt without impoverishing themselves or their people.

Greece and the others do have to pay but on their terms and not the terms of the bankers.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:53 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
So? Portugal has been an emigration country most of the time, similar to Ireland. And people always left in order to find a better life elsewhere.

Interestingly, Germany is trying to attract Portuguese and Spanish immigrants, but only very few of them want to go there. Same thing with the Indians they tried to attract, hardly anyone came. The Portuguese prefer to go to Africa instead, which says a lot. But their lives there will not be easy, either. A former neighbor of mine has moved to Mozambique and while people are great, life is very expensive, Internet access for instance is horrendously expensive and at the same time very slow, 256kbps. Adios Youtube etc. Rents are also increasing because of all the immigrants, not just from Portugal.
That's another reason why the euro is failing, limited mobility. The thought was people would be more apt to move to where the jobs from where they aren't. As you point out that is not happening. My guess is language is a big barrier. It would be hard for a Portuguese or Greek citizen to move to a country like Germany or the Netherlands.

They are better off going to former colonies or Anglo countries.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:03 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,305 times
Quote:
No, there is a ranking, in many countries people simply like their jobs a lot more than they do in Germany. When you do some research on that topic you will find various reasons for that.

As I said, I like myself a lot. But my persona is independent of Germany. Whether you understand it or not, there are people in this world who do not identify at all with the piece of land they happen to be from. Luckily in Germany there is no patriotic brainwashing like there is in the US. That is a good thing about it, there are other good aspects. I do not hate Germany, by and large it is just not my cup of tea. Germany might be a successful country, at least currently, but it is not an overly attractive country to most people.

And reading from you and your German friend, I guess any progressive and intelligent person gets an idea why I do not identify with Germany and Germans.
No, people in other countries don't like their jobs more. This is just a bunch of BS. Plus, Germany is one of the most popular countries in the World.
Britain beaten by Germany in popularity contest - Telegraph
Stop spewing anti-german sentiments in this thread. As far as Merkel wanting more controll over Greeces household...The heck she should, Germany and France are the ones giving Greece the most money. Its funny how people like you think that Germany should just give failing nations money without conditions. And by the way the nazi time is over, and Germans have developed a certain pride for their country the last few years. From an american perspective, that's very refreshing to see. But people like you just hate Germany no matter what. I'm glad your generation of Germans (the RAF Generation) will finally die away and Germany will be a better place for it.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:16 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
These countries do not need to leave the EU. They just have to insist that they will not change their internal finances to make full payments on their loans. They just need to spend their money on themselves and tell the Loan Sharks to bug out until Greece and the others can afford to pay the debt without impoverishing themselves or their people.

Greece and the others do have to pay but on their terms and not the terms of the bankers.
It doesn't work that way.

Greece doesn't have to leave the EU, but they could drop the Euro.

However, it doesn't really matter what Greece does, because the bottom line is that the Greek governments spends far more money than the collect in revenues.

And if Greece wants to do that, they'll have to get the money from foreign investors.

So, sure, Greece can choose not to pay it loans, and investors can choose not to invest in Greece, since the risks are far too great.

Which means Greece is then in a position where it cannot spend more money than it collects.

And if Greece cannot spend more money than it collects, then it's back to austerity measures.

The Greeks lose no matter what course of action they take.

Greece is not Iceland with 497,000 people. If the Greek government doesn't want to declare martial law and start shooting those citizens who are rioting in the streets, or attempting to overthrow the government, then Greece is going to have to do whatever the bankers tell them to do.

Defaulting...

Mircea

Old 01-31-2012, 06:57 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
No, people in other countries don't like their jobs more. This is just a bunch of BS. Plus, Germany is one of the most popular countries in the World.
Britain beaten by Germany in popularity contest - Telegraph
Stop spewing anti-german sentiments in this thread. As far as Merkel wanting more controll over Greeces household...The heck she should, Germany and France are the ones giving Greece the most money. Its funny how people like you think that Germany should just give failing nations money without conditions. And by the way the nazi time is over, and Germans have developed a certain pride for their country the last few years. From an american perspective, that's very refreshing to see. But people like you just hate Germany no matter what. I'm glad your generation of Germans (the RAF Generation) will finally die away and Germany will be a better place for it.
Doesn't seem that way:
Innere Kündigung - Statisten am Schreibtisch - Karriere - sueddeutsche.de

Your link doesn't say much. As the Oktoberfest photo already indicates, it is based on what people, not least tourists, think a country is like, based on short visits or mere rumors. It is as reliable as threads on the CD world forum where they ask which is the best city ever and people keep voting for the same old cities over and over again, although many of them have never been to those cities, nor do they have to live there day in day out.
When it comes to actual emigration, give people the choice to emigrate to, say, the US or Germany, and almost all of them will opt for the US.

I am not saying Germany should give anyone money. I prefer Greece running out of money and having to make serious cuts over a foreign hostile takeover. Anyway, Merkel etc. have already backpedaled, like many stupid ideas from Germany's conservative and liberal parties they ended up in the trashcan

You obviously have reading difficulties. As I have told you repeatedly, I do not hate Germany. Your repeating the opposite doesn't increase your credibility. Some things about that country are positive, others are negative, like with any country. At the end of the day Germany is just not my kind of culture, that's all. And it is a totally legit feeling that people around the world have for their countries of origin. There is no law saying one must like the country one is from, is there?
There are many things about that country that I don't like. It has a friendlier facade then the US, but behind that it is not much better, exporting weapons like crazy just to make money, regardless of how many people get killed as a result. Germany's culture is gradually eroding as there is a creeping Americanization (lobbying in politics, media, greed, attempts to silence unwelcome opposition, etc.)

Old 01-31-2012, 11:11 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,661 times
The Impending Undeclared Default Of 5 Major US Banks

If Greece triggers the default clause in the CDS and CDO's , in which 5 Major US Banks wrote 97% of the insurance policy for Greece, Italy, Spain, Ireland and Portgual. This is why Germany and Europe are trying to get a voluntary agreement to keep from triggering the default clause. But if Greece does trigger the default clause then 5- Major US Banks will crash...........

Old 01-31-2012, 11:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
The Impending Undeclared Default Of 5 Major US Banks

If Greece triggers the default clause in the CDS and CDO's , in which 5 Major US Banks wrote 97% of the insurance policy for Greece, Italy, Spain, Ireland and Portgual. This is why Germany and Europe are trying to get a voluntary agreement to keep from triggering the default clause. But if Greece does trigger the default clause then 5- Major US Banks will crash...........
Right. They don't care about saving Greece; they care about saving the banks.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:53 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,305 times
Quote:
Doesn't seem that way:
Innere Kündigung - Statisten am Schreibtisch - Karriere - sueddeutsche.de

Your link doesn't say much. As the Oktoberfest photo already indicates, it is based on what people, not least tourists, think a country is like, based on short visits or mere rumors. It is as reliable as threads on the CD world forum where they ask which is the best city ever and people keep voting for the same old cities over and over again, although many of them have never been to those cities, nor do they have to live there day in day out.
When it comes to actual emigration, give people the choice to emigrate to, say, the US or Germany, and almost all of them will opt for the US.

I am not saying Germany should give anyone money. I prefer Greece running out of money and having to make serious cuts over a foreign hostile takeover. Anyway, Merkel etc. have already backpedaled, like many stupid ideas from Germany's conservative and liberal parties they ended up in the trashcan

You obviously have reading difficulties. As I have told you repeatedly, I do not hate Germany. Your repeating the opposite doesn't increase your credibility. Some things about that country are positive, others are negative, like with any country. At the end of the day Germany is just not my kind of culture, that's all. And it is a totally legit feeling that people around the world have for their countries of origin. There is no law saying one must like the country one is from, is there?
There are many things about that country that I don't like. It has a friendlier facade then the US, but behind that it is not much better, exporting weapons like crazy just to make money, regardless of how many people get killed as a result. Germany's culture is gradually eroding as there is a creeping Americanization (lobbying in politics, media, greed, attempts to silence unwelcome opposition, etc.)
The article isn't indicating anything. It's just stating a fact. I can give you countless of articles that state the same about american workers. Plus a lot of people from Southern Europe emigrate to Germany because their are jobs. But who cares about the Eurozone? It will collapse anyway, because at some point germany will just quit giving money to the south. Than the Eurozone will collapse and maybe you will be left with a North Euro, which is much more reasonable because you have countries that are on the same level. But then the South of Europe will be left with all their debt paying by themselves. They will be left in the cold. And i don't think German culture is eroding, not at all. But I can understand, why you in your liberal twisted mind believe so. Americanization is everywhere. We rule this world.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:13 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
The article isn't indicating anything. It's just stating a fact. I can give you countless of articles that state the same about american workers. Plus a lot of people from Southern Europe emigrate to Germany because their are jobs. But who cares about the Eurozone? It will collapse anyway, because at some point germany will just quit giving money to the south. Than the Eurozone will collapse and maybe you will be left with a North Euro, which is much more reasonable because you have countries that are on the same level. But then the South of Europe will be left with all their debt paying by themselves. They will be left in the cold. And i don't think German culture is eroding, not at all. But I can understand, why you in your liberal twisted mind believe so. Americanization is everywhere. We rule this world.
Exactly, it is stating the fact that workers in the US and India are much more engaged in their work while many Germans basically don't care about their work. Feel free to post some of those countless articles that state the same numbers for the US.
I don't know about Greeks, but from the Iberian Peninsula only few really move to Germany. There was a German representative touring the peninsula a little while ago, trying to lure people to go to Germany. There was some initial interest, but hardly anyone follows through.

Believe what you want, in my view Germany is gradually going down the drain, I have observed it long enough. And Americanization is one reason, after all modern America has no real culture, either, so what good could come from there? Nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies