Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:08 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Don't get me wrong, the entire situation was a great tragedy, and I wish her the best in her recovery, but WHY is it such a BIG deal to the media and in turn, the public, that this women was shot??? I mean, you would think that this is the only person to have ever been shot in the history of the world. People are shot in this country every day, hell, likely every hour, and all they get is a 10 second snippet on the late local news. We dont continuously hear about the crack head on the bad end of town that got shot in a drug deal gone bad, or the frustrated business man who happened to be in the parking lot at the wrong time, or the husband/wife that was on the wrong end of a domestic duispute, or the completely innocent person taking an evening walk when accosted by some misguided teens, so why this women?

Is it because she was a politician and her attacker was mentaly ill and thus it opens the floor to polotical debate? You tell me?

Another thing that really "irk's" me is that the names of all the other victims of that fateful day seem to have been lost.

Thoughts?
People are selfish and heartless beings?
BTW, if you think this coverage has been unending, surely you are nowhere near old enough to remember what it was like when either Kennedy or MLK was shot.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:10 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
The entire ordeal was, of course, a tragedy. All of us are glad that she was lucky to survive and hopefully has more room to continue further recovery, as well as all the others injured. The deaths are devastating. I agree the media particularly has focused on her...

I was a RN in a Neuro-Surgical ICU for years....while I fully support the idea that the patient's willpower has an impact, based on what I have seen, it is the 1. location of the brain injury, the 2. timely treatment and then 3. the LUCK OF THE DRAW about who is able to fully recover...

Thousands each year are dealt brain injuries and those that are fortunate, not just those in public life, work very hard in therapies and recovery.

She is by no means a "special person" to have survived this assault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Don't get me wrong, the entire situation was a great tragedy, and I wish her the best in her recovery, but WHY is it such a BIG deal to the media and in turn, the public, that this women was shot??? I mean, you would think that this is the only person to have ever been shot in the history of the world. People are shot in this country every day, hell, likely every hour, and all they get is a 10 second snippet on the late local news. We dont continuously hear about the crack head on the bad end of town that got shot in a drug deal gone bad, or the frustrated business man who happened to be in the parking lot at the wrong time, or the husband/wife that was on the wrong end of a domestic duispute, or the completely innocent person taking an evening walk when accosted by some misguided teens, so why this women?

Is it because she was a politician and her attacker was mentaly ill and thus it opens the floor to polotical debate? You tell me?

Another thing that really "irk's" me is that the names of all the other victims of that fateful day seem to have been lost.

Thoughts?

Old 01-28-2012, 10:16 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
DUHHHH Debbie Wasserman is NOT the spokesperson for everyone on the left... I am lefty Liberal and I don't blame anyone but the shooter.

However, if the Democrats want to use her for anything it is NO different than what Repugs would do.....
Debbie Wassereman Schultz is the DEMOCRATC NATIONAL COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN...so I think she IS a spokesperson for the left/democrats. Was she reprimanded for her comments?? no.... Did Obama come out and speak out AGAINST what she said?? No. So let's be clear about just WHAT debbie wasserman schultz represents here. In spite of your uninformed response, she clearly IS a spokesperson.

As for you not buying it and blaming the shooter?? Then you are in the minority...because most of the mindless twits on the left are in lock step with whatever this bimbo spews, and in fact...they CHEER IT. And if you want PROOF of that, then just try to find ANY high ranking member of the democrat party who stepped forward to refute what she said AND has continued to say from the time of the shooting!!

If the demnocrats use a tragedy to promote their party based on a LIE is ok?? That says quite alot about YOU I would say.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:02 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
Debbie Wassereman Schultz is the DEMOCRATC NATIONAL COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN...so I think she IS a spokesperson for the left/democrats. Was she reprimanded for her comments?? no.... Did Obama come out and speak out AGAINST what she said?? No. So let's be clear about just WHAT debbie wasserman schultz represents here. In spite of your uninformed response, she clearly IS a spokesperson.

As for you not buying it and blaming the shooter?? Then you are in the minority...because most of the mindless twits on the left are in lock step with whatever this bimbo spews, and in fact...they CHEER IT. And if you want PROOF of that, then just try to find ANY high ranking member of the democrat party who stepped forward to refute what she said AND has continued to say from the time of the shooting!!

If the demnocrats use a tragedy to promote their party based on a LIE is ok?? That says quite alot about YOU I would say.
Uh huh.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:13 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I seem to recall once Ms. Giffords left the hospital and went to the rehab center in Houston, we didn't hear much about her. I remember one story from when she went to watch the space shuttle lift off with her husband in it, and then little (except here on CD) until now. I don't think this is overhype at all.
I agree.

After the first couple of weeks after the shooting, and when things had settled down again, there was very little information coming out about her. I actually googled her once or twice because I did want to know how she was doing and I hadn't heard anything.

What the RWNJ's will find to complain about never ceases to amaze me. Really very pathetic.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:24 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Where's Conservatives lack of passion?? I don't see anyone saying, it wasn't sad. Most are implying the other victim's have gotten no recognition. Guess it's okay with you, that we focuse on one victim and forget there was a 9 year old girl also shot, plus many other's

Your statement shows, your one sided view of political people.
I can only speak for myself, but I know that when I think of Giffords, the other victims are always in my thoughts as well, especially that beautiful little girl. Every time. I can't hear Giffords' name, or see an article about her, without my thoughts also turning to the others. Every time.

To me, because she is a public figure (as well as the intended target of the shooter), it is her name that I associate with this tragedy first. But I also grieve for the others who died, as well as those who survived but will carry the wounds, physical and emotional, with them for a very long time. I also grieve for the family members who lost someone that day, especially the parents of that little girl. And I grieve for the city of Tuscon as well because Tuscon will forever be associated with this event.

But, see, that's the difference between you and I. You see every mention of Ms. Giffords as some sort of inconvenience to you, as well as some kind of exploitation or as a means to further a liberal agenda ("Oh, no! They want my guns!"). I see the mention of her as a reminder of a tragic event that took the lives of a number of people. I also see it as an example of the human strength and the fact that this woman has come so far after such horrific injuries. I can rejoice in her progress; apparently you can't.

Again, the total lack of compassion and empathy that conservatives show is appalling.

Last edited by Cinebar; 01-28-2012 at 11:35 AM..

Old 01-28-2012, 11:33 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post

Just like you, Wasserman Schultz is entitled to her opinions, and entitled to express them. She and Gabby Giffords are close friends, so she knows what hell Gabby and her husband have been through, as well as the families of the other victims. The language of the above post: "mindless twits on the left," bimbo," "spews," and "democrats use a tragedy to promote their party." That illustrates the point regarding a lack of empathy and someone so blindly partisan that they're unable to see a tragedy in any terms but how they choose to use it themselves. Never read Lord of the Flies? It's proven that speech and visuals influence behavior, so people who espouse incendiary rhetoric DO affect the actions of others. There's no reason for anyone to denounce what many people believe. Thinking that the "demnocrats" have used Giffords to "promote their party" is astounding; she resigned, showed up for a final State of the Union speech and has returned to Arizona; people with some modicum of empathy wish her well, just because she's a human being.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:40 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, the shooter is NOT involved in this thread . Here's the title....please point out where the shooter is mentioned:

ENOUGH With Gabrielle Giffords Already!!!
If it wasn't for the shooter, we wouldn't be talking about the lady, now would you???

Old 01-28-2012, 11:45 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I can only speak for myself, but I know that when I think of Giffords, the other victims are always in my thoughts as well, especially that beautiful little girl. Every time. I can't hear Giffords' name, or see an article about her, without my thoughts also turning to the others. Every time.

To me, because she is a public figure (as well as the intended target of the shooter), it is her name that I associate with this tragedy first. But I also grieve for the others who died, as well as those who survived but will carry the wounds, physical and emotional, with them for a very long time. I also grieve for the family members who lost someone that day, especially the parents of that little girl. And I grieve for the city of Tuscon as well because Tuscon will forever be associated with this event.

But, see, that's the difference between you and I. You see every mention of Ms. Giffords as some sort of inconvenience to you, as well as some kind of exploitation or as a means to further a liberal agenda ("Oh, no! They want my guns!"). I see the mention of her as a reminder of a tragic event that took the lives of a number of people. I also see it as an example of the human strength and the fact that this woman has come so far after such horrific injuries. I can rejoice in her progress; apparently you can't.

Again, the total lack of compassion and empathy that conservatives show is appalling.
Point out, where I said that!! Don't be a fool, the left would love to get rid of guns. If the left weren't worried they wouldn't be protesting at Starbuck's. So much for a business's doing, as they please.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:51 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
I honestly never knew there were so many cruel, heartless, selfish, mean-spirited people in the world until I started reading this forum. And I have lived many decades believing that such people were just the few abnormal psychopaths who were unable to experience empathy for other living creatures. This forum has certainly made it clear that those type of people are not as few as I had happily believed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies