U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:26 PM

13,900 posts, read 11,463,402 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong, the entire situation was a great tragedy, and I wish her the best in her recovery, but WHY is it such a BIG deal to the media and in turn, the public, that this women was shot??? I mean, you would think that this is the only person to have ever been shot in the history of the world. People are shot in this country every day, hell, likely every hour, and all they get is a 10 second snippet on the late local news. We dont continuously hear about the crack head on the bad end of town that got shot in a drug deal gone bad, or the frustrated business man who happened to be in the parking lot at the wrong time, or the husband/wife that was on the wrong end of a domestic duispute, or the completely innocent person taking an evening walk when accosted by some misguided teens, so why this women?

Is it because she was a politician and her attacker was mentaly ill and thus it opens the floor to polotical debate? You tell me?

Another thing that really "irk's" me is that the names of all the other victims of that fateful day seem to have been lost.

Thoughts?
Rate this post positively

Old 01-27-2012, 10:30 PM

3,948 posts, read 3,865,924 times
Man, she's a politician that survived an assassination attempt (but, aren't all murders "assassinations?"). I'm glad she is alive and every time I hear about it, I'm like, "Boooyyeee, she sure is lucky to be a live." I mean, how many people who are targeted with a shot to the head survive that stuff? Not often. This is news. (Actually, I have heard a lot of people surviving from gunshots to the head). I'm sleepy and rambling ...

I get your point though about the OTHER VICTIMS ... That sucks that they have been left out of the continuous media coverage. However, she did go to that event (the walk) and paid tribute to them. Our media just sucks and only worries about the big names.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:30 PM

20,950 posts, read 17,123,758 times
Yea.

They unabashedly made her walk up the steps to hand John Boehner her resignation letter. She appeared to not have any idea of why she was there.

It was especially charming when butt head schultz had a hell of a time handing her the envelope.

Leave the poor woman alone already.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:43 PM

7,090 posts, read 11,111,289 times
I think it's a bit overdone, but if you really don't like it so much...watch something else.

No one is tying you down, pulling your eyelids apart, and forcing you to watch the coverage.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:47 PM

5,646 posts, read 4,338,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Don't get me wrong, the entire situation was a great tragedy, and I wish her the best in her recovery, but WHY is it such a BIG deal to the media and in turn, the public, that this women was shot??? I mean, you would think that this is the only person to have ever been shot in the history of the world. People are shot in this country every day, hell, likely every hour, and all they get is a 10 second snippet on the late local news. We dont continuously hear about the crack head on the bad end of town that got shot in a drug deal gone bad, or the frustrated business man who happened to be in the parking lot at the wrong time, or the husband/wife that was on the wrong end of a domestic duispute, or the completely innocent person taking an evening walk when accosted by some misguided teens, so why this women?

Is it because she was a politician and her attacker was mentaly ill and thus it opens the floor to polotical debate? You tell me?

Another thing that really "irk's" me is that the names of all the other victims of that fateful day seem to have been lost.

Thoughts?
Agreed.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:57 PM

373 posts, read 565,062 times
I am sorry to know she was hurt.She didnt deserve it. BUt SHE ANT NO FRIKKIN HERO......

Old 01-27-2012, 11:10 PM

379 posts, read 742,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I think it's a bit overdone, but if you really don't like it so much...watch something else.
Can't be done! Just when you think you're watching one thing (state of the union), there she is! She does the pop-in when you don't expect her! I do feel bad that she got shot though and I wish her the best. A lot of news stories like this do get covered too much, like Sully Sullenberger's airplane landing. That was an amazing story.

Last edited by mash potato; 01-27-2012 at 11:37 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 11:13 PM

5,762 posts, read 4,548,519 times
The fact that Giffords is alive is a miracle, much less that she'd be walking and talking so soon. The left was appalled when Jim Brady was shot during the Hinckley attack; how sad that common decency is no longer a valued American trait. You will all have your wish: Giffords is going home with her heroic husband to concentrate on rehab. May those who died rest in peace.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:28 PM

13,900 posts, read 11,463,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
The fact that Giffords is alive is a miracle, much less that she'd be walking and talking so soon. The left was appalled when Jim Brady was shot during the Hinckley attack; how sad that common decency is no longer a valued American trait. You will all have your wish: Giffords is going home with her heroic husband to concentrate on rehab. May those who died rest in peace.
Of which I am sure we will be promptly kept up to date.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:34 PM

6,864 posts, read 10,102,967 times
I thought maybe she changed her name. Everytime a reporter refers to her, it's 'Gabby Giffords Whowasshotinthehead'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.