Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:53 PM

779 posts, read 538,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
You lost this one before you ever replied to me a second time. (Oh, and about love....it is telling someone what they "need" to hear, not what will make them feel good, ahem.)

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov...50061gvo26.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 09:41 PM

860 posts, read 2,207,963 times
If someone is being obnoxious and irritating on facebook by wearing their politics on their sleeve, why shouldn't that person be unfriended? For one thing, many facebook "friends" are nothing more than acquaintances or people who have not been seen in 20 years, so there may not be much reason to keep them as facebook contacts in the first place.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:22 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,316,173 times
[quote=beenhereandthere;22794385]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I am addressing your OP.
It's stupid.
People can do whatever they like for any reason that they like.

Sorry, I grew up in the 60s, this is nothing new or newsworthy.
It's none of your or my business if or why someone chooses to keep or discard people from social media.

I think it's just sour grapes because someone unfriended you.

My answer:
It's none of your business why I posted this....but I digress.
In the 60's, would someone walk up to you and say, I don't want to talk anymore since I don't like what you said about Johnson or Kennedy?
People just hide behind a computer and do that today in secret. Of course, all have "friends" that they might say, "so what" if they're unfriended by them,
but they may also have other friends and family that do that and they may say WTF?
It just shows, how out of control, the political dialogue has become.
In the past, I heard Tip O'Neil, having a beer with Republican colleges after work, is not too uncommon....
now you'll look weak on either side, in DC, if you don't look at the other side as the enemy.
Why out of control?
You think its silly that people take control of their own lives and what they read?

Did someone unfriend you? Is that your gripe?
If so, it's probably because you irritated them with your partisan and/or political bs.

BTW, in the 60s (excuse me, 4 May 1970) the Ohio governor didn't like what we had to say and shot at us.
And you're worried about someone unfriending your for being politically bothersome.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:02 AM

17,019 posts, read 12,626,185 times
If you unfriend someone of FB they can see it.

If you set them to ignore they are none the wiser.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:44 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,264,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I can relate, because I cant deal with the hostile, in your face Democrats on a daily basis. I don't unfriend them, but, it gets me very annoyed. If they would be willing to debate and discuss things, I would be okay with it, but, when they are unwilling to do so, and all they want to do is tell me how I am wrong and they are right, well you get the feeling
I can totally understand. I have a couple people on FB who are like that, but liberal... always posting political crap. I don't unfriend them since I'm liberal (so have more tolerance for the liberal side of things) but don't care to respond to their political postings. I just don't care to get into political discussions with my hundred "closest friends" lol! I'm on FB to catch up, have a laugh, and keep it light.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Why out of control?
You think its silly that people take control of their own lives and what they read?

Did someone unfriend you? Is that your gripe?
If so, it's probably because you irritated them with your partisan and/or political bs.

BTW, in the 60s (excuse me, 4 May 1970) the Ohio governor didn't like what we had to say and shot at us.
And you're worried about someone unfriending your for being politically bothersome.
Yeah it's amazing how people seem to think that because some congressmen who were in office during the '80s and '90s who sometimes had beers with their counterparts from the other side of the aisle, that it was always joy and rainbows...

I'm a '60s kid too, and I don't remember a lot of joy in politics during that period. The '70s wasn't much better.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:17 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,539,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
Yeah it's amazing how people seem to think that because some congressmen who were in office during the '80s and '90s who sometimes had beers with their counterparts from the other side of the aisle, that it was always joy and rainbows...

I'm a '60s kid too, and I don't remember a lot of joy in politics during that period. The '70s wasn't much better.
If I feel that way, about it being a lot worse now, didn't have the likes of Limbaugh and Hannity, nationwide, back then. That is 1 big reason, talk radio, why it's gotten so rotten.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
If I feel that way, about it being a lot worse now, didn't have the likes of Limbaugh and Hannity, nationwide, back then. That is 1 big reason, talk radio, why it's gotten so rotten.
It's just seems so much worse because we are so much more exposed to media and opinion these days. There was a sort of reconciliation though, during the 80s and 90s, and bipartisanship seemed alive and well. That all ended in recent years though.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:44 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,760,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Stupid and Juvenile, IMO (when it comes to Politics).
I mean, do people unfriend each other since one likes Alabama or Auburn or the Yankees and the Red Sox?
I can see afew extreme cases where someone says something like racial slurs or code words towards Obama or saying that using sexual images involving Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachmann, but even then.....
again, it's just politics and aren't you an American 1st?
Besides, if you listen to only listen to just people that only share your points of view, doesn't that lose mental stimulation after a while?
Thoughts?
I have been de friended just for disagreeing with people who I have known for a long time.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:47 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,539,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I have been de friended just for disagreeing with people who I have known for a long time.
Maybe it's a generational thing? 2 couples that are along my parents best friends (or more solid anyway) for sure lean right wing.
I had an extended ex family member defriend me not too long ago and she admitted that part of the reason was "because I'm conservative."
WTH?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies