Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 06:55 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
When is the last time that Israel threatened to wipe Iran off the map? Thought so.
To be fair, I think that this was a mistranslation of what Ahmadinejad said. However, other Iranian politicians (including Ayatollah Khamenei) actually did (AFAIK) utter statements which implied that they supported/advocated for Israel's destruction.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Israel is a country and not a city. Tel Aviv has the largest population. So lets follow your logic, if Tel Aviv is nuked then so is Jerusalem which is 36 miles to the East. So if Iran did nuke them, how would all the other Muslims countries react if the third holiest site in Islam is also destroyed? Not so simple is it.
Yes, (if I am understanding you correctly here) I agree that this is why an Iranian nuclear attack on Israel is extremely unlikely, IMHO. However, Israel has that paranoia in regards to any risk of a nuclear attack (no matter how small this risk is) due to the Holocaust, and I honestly don't blame them for this. After all, who in 1913 would have (honestly) predicted that a "civilized" country such as Germany would kill most European Jews in 28-32 years?

Old 09-21-2013, 07:35 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Yes, (if I am understanding you correctly here) I agree that this is why an Iranian nuclear attack on Israel is extremely unlikely, IMHO. However, Israel has that paranoia in regards to any risk of a nuclear attack (no matter how small this risk is) due to the Holocaust, and I honestly don't blame them for this. After all, who in 1913 would have (honestly) predicted that a "civilized" country such as Germany would kill most European Jews in 28-32 years?
Their paranoia doesn't come from the Holocaust. Most (about 80%) of the Jews in Israel were there before WW2. Their worries are based on numerous border attacks since 1948 by Arab countries. FWIW the large influx of European Jews started in 1876 when the Ottomans made it legal for Jews to own land. Even in 1950 most of the population of Jews came out of Arab countries due to being evicted.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Their paranoia doesn't come from the Holocaust. Most (about 80%) of the Jews in Israel were there before WW2. Their worries are based on numerous border attacks since 1948 by Arab countries. FWIW the large influx of European Jews started in 1876 when the Ottomans made it legal for Jews to own land. Even in 1950 most of the population of Jews came out of Arab countries due to being evicted.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliyah#Statistics

It states here that a little over 3 million Jews immigrated to Israel between 1948 and 2012. Also, most of the Jews who immigrated to Israel and their descendants probably stayed in Israel.

Statistical Abstract of Israel 2013 - No. 64 Subject 2 - Table No. 1

According to my link above, Israel's Jewish population at the time of its creation was probably around 650-700 thousand Jews. I find it extremely hard to believe that a majority, let alone 80%, of Israel's current 6+ million Jews are descended purely from the Jews who lived in Israel before it was created in 1948.

Yes, the numerous border attacks and wars by Arabs since 1948 also helped fuel this Israeli paranoia in regards to Iran, et cetera, but it is probably inaccurate to say that the Holocaust is not a factor at all in causing this paranoia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliyah#Statistics

Also, according to this link above, a majority of (Jewish) immigrants to Israel even after 1948 came from Europe, rather than from Muslim countries (and even this specific data excludes the Jews who immigrated from Europe between 1933 and 1948). Also, I think I previously read that there is now much more intermarriage in Israel between Ashkenazi (European) Jews and Mizrahi Jews, so even some Mizrahi Jews in Israel right now have some Ashkenazi ancestors who very possibly lived in Europe during World War II and during the Holocaust.

Thus, my point here in regards to the Holocaust (at least partially) causing this paranoid appears to remain valid.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:31 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,553,153 times
Since Jews invented Nukes, it is hard to develop a rational for saying they can not have them.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:33 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
It's been widely reported that Israel has approximately 400 nuclear warheads, with the ability to deliver them by Intercontinental Ballistic Missile, aircraft and submarines. And, in addition to it's nuclear arsenal, Israel has the 3rd or 4th strongest Air Force in the world, with over 1,600 fighter, bomber and attack aircraft.

Iran a threat to Israel? I don't think so.
Do you want Israel feeling the need to use them?

If Arabs were surrounded on all sides by Jews, would you feel the same way?

Old 09-21-2013, 09:19 PM
cml

180 posts, read 290,490 times
Israel was not and never is a threat to us, Israel is one of our allies, Iran does not like us that is how Iran is a threat, Israel would never attack us despite the fact they have a lot of missiles. Those missiles that Israel has to protect itself from Iran and other Middle Eastern countries who try to attack them.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:41 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
(1) It states here that a little over 3 million Jews immigrated to Israel between 1948 and 2012. Also, most of the Jews who immigrated to Israel and their descendants probably stayed in Israel.

(2)According to my link above, Israel's Jewish population at the time of its creation was probably around 650-700 thousand Jews. I find it extremely hard to believe that a majority, let alone 80%, of Israel's current 6+ million Jews are descended purely from the Jews who lived in Israel before it was created in 1948.

(3)Yes, the numerous border attacks and wars by Arabs since 1948 also helped fuel this Israeli paranoia in regards to Iran, et cetera, but it is probably inaccurate to say that the Holocaust is not a factor at all in causing this paranoia.

(4)Also, according to this link above, a majority of (Jewish) immigrants to Israel even after 1948 came from Europe, rather than from Muslim countries (and even this specific data excludes the Jews who immigrated from Europe between 1933 and 1948). Also, I think I previously read that there is now much more intermarriage in Israel between Ashkenazi (European) Jews and Mizrahi Jews, so even some Mizrahi Jews in Israel right now have some Ashkenazi ancestors who very possibly lived in Europe during World War II and during the Holocaust.

(5)Thus, my point here in regards to the Holocaust (at least partially) causing this paranoid appears to remain valid.
(1)You're covering too many years and including too many people. You're mixing the small amount of Jews that survived the holocaust and the ones that left due to Russian Pogroms. Germany fell in 1945. Look up all the articles related to the Holocaust. Nearly all of them emanate from the US and not Israel. Look at all the Israeli Prime Ministers, not one is a survivor of the Holocaust (a few had relatives that were murdered under it).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_Israel

(2) Look at the following link, most were already there before WW2 began and only about 40k arrived during WW2. In 1942 there were 484k Jews already there and in 1946 there were 608k. That's a 124k difference which is 20% of the base population.
http://www.cjpmo.org/DisplayDocument.aspx?DocumentID=18

You're second sentence covers Jews who arrived from countries who were not directly affected by Germany. So the current 8 Million Jews are descended from the Jews who were already there, the few small percentage that were directly connected to the Holocaust, the nearly 700K Jews that were evicted from Arab countries due to the creation of Israel and the rest who came from other places.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Society_%26_Culture/Population_of_Israel.html

(3) Its a factor, but not the basis.

(4) The largest influx of the first Jews arrived from Arab countries (see link in #2). Intermarriage of
Ashkenazi and Sephardic/Mizrahi Jews is true. I'm proof of that. My Father was a Auschwitz survivor and my Mother was a Mizrahi who's family lineage lived near Jerusalem for hundreds of years (I can trace it back as far as the early 1500's) Many of the Jews born post 1948 had Olive colored skin and since there were no further Jews coming from Arab countries the skin color of Jews have become more whiter through the generations, but there are still some that stayed pure Mizrahi.

(5) Partially is correct. Israeli's Battle Cry "Never Again" stemmed from it.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:06 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Israeli soldiers are reportedly preparing to storm the mall in Kenya over run by Islamic terrorists. Israel is not the problem. My only issue with Israel is they involve America too much in their problems. Other than that I'm under no illusion as to who are the good guys in the Middle East. I will never stand with or for Muslims.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:24 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Even though Israel has a lot of nukes and accurate delivery systems for them....they have a serious problem...it is size...Israel is so small that if someone sneaked in one small war head the nation could not sustain or survive the hit....the place is tiny...That would be the worry with Iran...or others...attempting to join the nuclear club...Israel may have 400 war heads - and it would take a half a dozen to wipe out Iran...it would only take ONE to get rid of Israel....it is that one that they worry about....but again....How would Israel know if what was coming at them was a crude and common Scud missile - or one tipped with a nuke? You don't want to be nuking Iran needlessly....or have then get the first ONE in....Until Iran can be fully trusted to keep the peace they must be carefully watched.....

The difference between a nation the size of America as compared to Israel or Iran ...is that America could survive a limited nuclear strike....smaller nations can't - So size does matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies