Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:52 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
She did, but her insurance company declined the claim because they say the event she entered didn't meet their criteria for a sanctioned event whatever that means. Still, the (international) incident raises a salient point. As has been said, most countries and that includes First World countries with kick ass medical facilities, don't generate half million dollar bills for a short stay. Especially when they lose the patient. Come on... how can this be defended?

H
Because most countries slap a bandaid on you and send you home. Our trauma care is the best in the world, and is available to anyone at any time. If an illegal alien is injured in a car crash here, he is transported to the closest trauma center and treated. It could cost tens of thousands.

If you are injured in Mexico, the first thing they ask is will that be cash or credit card. I had to see a doc in Spain - not emergency care but urgent care. They wanted to verify my coverage with Kaiser before they would treat me. I gave them a credit card to save time. The bill was about the same as it would have been in California.

Healthcare is expensive here because in many respects we utilize more expensive technology than other nations, but also because we subsidize everyone who is not insured. The costs are not shared equally. The stores pass the price of shoplifting along to every other consumer in higher prices. It's no different for medical - somebody has to pay for all that free care.

Time for my 6am walk. Once in the morning and once at night hopefully helps keep me out of the hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 07:23 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,496 times
Quote:
Because most countries slap a bandaid on you and send you home. Our trauma care is the best in the world
far too simplistic. healthcare costs more in the US because of a combination of a higher price of healthcare (i.e. any given intervention is more expensive than elsewhere) and a greater number of interventions.

for the record, a greater number of interventions does not automatically equate to a "better" standard of care.

i maintain that it is the responsibility of the individual visiting a foreign country to make sure they have appropriate insurance to cover their stay - as someone has pointed out, it is indeed a shame if people are prevented from visiting the US because of the prohibitively high insurance costs that may be incurred by their visit, but surely better that than coming here, getting sick, and incurring hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills.

as to the question of what can be done about the cost of healthcare in the US, that is a whole other topic.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:31 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Wow! That's quite an attention grabbing headline. It's also a huge lie.

Her death was due to her head's impact on the halfpipe. Not because of gaps in American healthcare.

Do you want to hear about gaps in healthcare? Actress Natasha Richardson had to be driven to Montreal after her crash on a Canadian ski slope because there were no helicopters available to airlift her. That's a gap!

http://www.thestar.com/article/605345

Old 02-01-2012, 07:44 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
I just walked for almost an hour. How many other people take the time to take care of themselves on a regular basis....not enough.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:49 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
If you are injured in Mexico, the first thing they ask is will that be cash or credit card. I had to see a doc in Spain - not emergency care but urgent care. They wanted to verify my coverage with Kaiser before they would treat me. I gave them a credit card to save time. The bill was about the same as it would have been in Califnia.
And I was in Amsterdam with someone who needed emergency treatment. Hotel doctor contacted us and met us at a treatment center (not sure if hospital or smaller version). My friend was examined, treated and given a prescription for a total of € 150. No wait and the care was incredible.

Quote:
Healthcare is expensive here because in many respects we utilize more expensive technology than other nations, but also because we subsidize everyone who is not insured. The costs are not shared equally. The stores pass the price of shoplifting along to every other consumer in higher prices. It's no different for medical - somebody has to pay for all that free care. .
Healthcare is expensive in the U.S. because of profit and salaries. Also remember in places with universal healthcare, like Canada, no-one gets free healthcare. Everyone gets healthcare paid for by everyone through taxes etc.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:00 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
far too simplistic. healthcare costs more in the US because of a combination of a higher price of healthcare (i.e. any given intervention is more expensive than elsewhere) and a greater number of interventions.
Fraud too.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:04 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
And I was in Amsterdam with someone who needed emergency treatment. Hotel doctor contacted us and met us at a treatment center (not sure if hospital or smaller version). My friend was examined, treated and given a prescription for a total of € 150. No wait and the care was incredible.

A sample size of one. Demonstrates existence, nothing more.

Healthcare is expensive in the U.S. because of profit and salaries. Also remember in places with universal healthcare, like Canada, no-one gets free healthcare. Everyone gets healthcare paid for by everyone through taxes etc.

I see, so we should penalize those who take care of themselves, are cautious, do not engage in risky or unhealthy behaviors, and then force them to subsidize those who do not.
Sure... go speeding in your car, without a seatbelt, while texting your friend.... then hit a tree. I'll be GLAD to pay for your astronomical medical bills, due to your ignorance... where do I send the check?

Having been in the medical community for over 17 years, I have learned profits and salaries are only a part of the costs. High quality care requires expensive equipment, and the litigious patients make malpractice insurance utterly ridiculous. Ever see what an anesthesiologist pays every year?.... typically between $20K and $100K.
Red is me.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:10 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
S. Especially when they lose the patient. Come on... how can this be defended?

H
You pay for services, not results.

Medical care is not the boy scouts. It's a business.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:14 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
First World countries with kick ass medical facilities, don't generate half million dollar bills for a short stay. Especially when they lose the patient. Come on... how can this be defended?

H
It can't. It's obscene. It stinks to high heaven.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:21 AM

54 posts, read 72,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There is more to it than that, because most countries have far more government involvement, yet only half the cost.
Little/no gov involvement = (theoretically) free market, affordable care
Effective gov involvement = cost controls, affordable care

US model = high gov spending, few cost controls = worst of both worlds
Number of the Week: U.S. Spends 141% More on Health Care - Real Time Economics - WSJ
US health-care spending: Waste measurements | The Economist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies