Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 11:18 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,778,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
Sometimes the climate gets warmer.

And sometimes it gets colder.

That's been going on for as long as the planet has been orbiting the Sun. Or, as long as it's had a climate, at least.

And man has never had the slightest influence on it.

Even the leftist loons who scream about how we have to use government to change everything, go back to the stone age, etc., to prevent some unknown catastrophe, have never been able to come up with even ONE study or example that backs up their claims.

What's funny is that, when they do name some study, it invariably turns out to be nothing but a bunch of long-winded claims which, finally, refer to some other "study" for proof. And what is in that other "study"? You guessed it - more long-winded claims, and eventually a reference to yet another study. And you can guess what is in that one, too.

The leftist global-whatever loons have been insisting on impending doom, and the urgent need to give government massive powers to change every bit of our lives to "avoid" that doom, for at least 40 years by my count. Literally billions of dollars have changed hands - usually into their hands - all over the world. And they still haven't come up with one shred of proof that man has had the least bit of influence on the climate changes that happen regularly around us. Nor is there any proof that man can do anything to change it.

***40 YEARS*** of screaming, caterwauling, and doomsaying. All without the slightest proof. Just references to references to references, ad infinitum. And demands that they be given complete power over all of us, to change what they cannot change.

Is this a record?

(Probably not. Leftist loons have been with us a LONG time. )
What you just described there is called modern science.
No, it's called "deception and fakery".

In modern science, the reference points to the study that actually proves the point.

Unlike what the references that Global Whatever loons use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 11:27 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,928,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
At least 48 dead as 'extreme cold' grips Europe - Weather - msnbc.com

Probably need to pump more CO2 into the atmosphere.
You haven't been to Texas or anywhere in the southwest lately have ya, if you had you would not look so foolish at this point

Old 01-31-2012, 11:30 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
It's always been climate change in the scientific community, that has never changed. Global warming was a moniker picked up and promoted by the media and prominent figures (Al Gore).

However, whogo, I notice how you aren't actually debating the science involved with any links or proofs. You just seems to pandering to emotionally and political values. Where's the scientific basis of your argument since this is scientific topic. If you aren't educated enough to have this scientific discussion perhaps you should just step aside.
Not to mention that 4 decades ago we didn't have the technical infrastructure such as supercomputers. What scientists come up with today might not be all correct, either, but it is certainly more likely to be correct than the findings from the 70s. If that were not the case, science would develop backwards and we might as well save all that money altogether.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:50 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,582,011 times
Tsk tsk tsk. It is not global warming anymore. It is Climate Change. This way any bad weather is the fault of that pig driving the Hummer in front of you.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:55 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You haven't been to Texas or anywhere in the southwest lately have ya, if you had you would not look so foolish at this point

When I left Texas 30 years ago, West Texas and the Southwestern states were pretty much dry and hot deserts. Has it changed?

I'm from Houston and spent most of my time on the gulf where it was warm and humid. I avoided anything left of Katy because it was just too dry for my taste. Same reason I prefer Northern CA over Southern. I really like LA but it's always been too dry for me.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:03 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,928,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
When I left Texas 30 years ago, West Texas and the Southwestern states were pretty much dry and hot deserts. Has it changed?

I'm from Houston and spent most of my time on the gulf where it was warm and humid. I avoided anything left of Katy because it was just too dry for my taste. Same reason I prefer Northern CA over Southern. I really like LA but it's always been too dry for me.
I am in North Texas and yes things have changed, they have gotten hotter and dryer. FYI the north is also warmer, hence why so little fuel is being used and refineries are been closed because there not enough space to store the fuel. See how easy that is, ask and you shall recieve.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:07 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I am in North Texas and yes things have changed, they have gotten hotter and dryer. FYI the north is also warmer, hence why so little fuel is being used and refineries are been closed because there not enough space to store the fuel. See how easy that is, ask and you shall recieve.
Since you're there and I'm not I'll have to take your word for it. But it's kind of hard to imagine it being any dryer. I always viewed Dallas as Death Valley with Snow.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:15 PM

78,323 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Tsk tsk tsk. It is not global warming anymore. It is Climate Change. This way any bad weather is the fault of that pig driving the Hummer in front of you.
General warming <> localized effects

Go read up on the north atlantic conveyor and you will understand why palm trees grow on the south coast of ireland despite it being as far north as it is.

Basically, global warming was a trendy catch phrase used by idiots in the media. The fact that the earth warming (for whatever reason) would wind up making some parts of the world cooler doesn't invalidate warming.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:16 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
January was way too warm statistically.
Drought is more of a problem than a couple of cold days. The usual winter rain was all but missing so far and the winter is almost over.
Except in Alaska and Canada, right?

Old 01-31-2012, 12:17 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,392,590 times
Attributing short duration, localized weather events to any sort of climate change (either proof or refuting) is brain-damaged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies