Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 11:59 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Isn't gringa a derogatory word?
?
I don't think anyone gives a rip about being called gringa, or gringo. Who cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 12:00 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Keep in mind that many didn't "come" to American by free will.

Also many were here before the european criminals came here.

Many others resent the USA for it's many wrongful doings around the world.. ie, Nagasaki, Hiroshima.. Iraq, "staging" of Pearl Harbor attacks, 9/11 etc..
Are you speaking about the African slaves who didn't come of their free will? I wonder why so many of them didn't refuse to be assimilated but learned the language and the laws and so forth. I bet that not one of those in the 19th century had any idea what the word, gringa, meant or even existed.

Since you are so worried about the atom bombs, maybe you could explain why the Japanese of the present day don't seem to feel the same way you seem to feel. "Staged" bombing of Pearl Harbor? How old are you? 15? I see that you are also one of those who don't think that the bombing in NYC took place the way most of us believe it did.

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
What the Hell is a "Heritage" speaker? By the way most of us who are bilingual grew up using "Spanglish" as a means to communicate with others since bilingual speakers often think in both languages.

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe the kids had no choice but their parents did.
Why go to another country while yearning for your home country ?
Why break the law to move and then NOT want your kids to grow up American ?
Why not ask a Cuban? They seem to have this sentiment more than any other group that immigrates here and they get a free pass.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:02 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't think anyone gives a rip about being called gringa, or gringo. Who cares.
I may not be anyone, in your eyes but some of us non-libs do take it as what the OP called it when it is used the way it was used.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:03 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
The generation of Mexicans and South Americans that immigrated into this country since the 1980's is a huge disgrace. When my fathers family came to this country in the late 1800's and early 1900's from Mexico the first thing they did was learn the language and make sure all their children learned English.

I still have my Great Grandfathers English Dictionary he used to learn English in 1914. 100 years later most of my family still speaks Spanish but as a second language.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:05 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Why not ask a Cuban? They seem to have this sentiment more than any other group that immigrates here and they get a free pass.
hmm??? care to expound upon this "free pass" Cubans get? I'm of Cuban descent so I'm quite curious what exactly do you mean?

Old 01-31-2012, 12:07 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I may not be anyone, in your eyes but some of us non-libs do take it as what the OP called it when it is used the way it was used.
You need to grow a thicker skin and not be offended by meaningless stuff. Do you even know what gringa means? It is offensive only if you want it to be (and many do), but the word does not have a negative connotation.

When did you become so PC anyway?

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-31-2012 at 12:18 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 12:14 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
I don't think this young girl was using "gringa" in a negative way. I think she was saying that when her Spanish-speaking parents talked to her in Spanish, and she responded in English, that it made her feel bad because it emphasized the differences between her parents and herself. She wants to be close to her parents, not growing away from them. So she's taking a class to perfect her Spanish and permit her to be closer to her parents.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:17 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think this young girl was using "gringa" in a negative way. I think she was saying that when her Spanish-speaking parents talked to her in Spanish, and she responded in English, that it made her feel bad because it emphasized the differences between her parents and herself. She wants to be close to her parents, not growing away from them. So she's taking a class to perfect her Spanish and permit her to be closer to her parents.
I find it very difficult to believe she cannot understand the language of the parents who raised her. It's just not possible, IMO.

I think she just wants an easy class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies