Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2015, 03:17 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Why do you so desperately need me to love baseball?
I pay taxes, I obey the law, I'm polite and respectful, I can speak English (as you see). What else do you want me to do? I thought the most important tradition in America is freedom. And here, you want to force me to practice traditions I don't like?

The topic isn't about baseball. It's about assimilating to our language out in mainstream. In other words join our society if you are here not alienate and divide yourself instead by language instead. It's not about freedom. I may have the freedom to spit on the sidewalk if I like but it is still rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 03:37 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
That what I saw with my own eyes in 7 years in american IT, not "something that I was told".
I will tell you my story: I came to the States without any background in IT, and here I went to a course in an american school that prepare for SQA engineer. In this course were about 40 people, about 25 Indians, 13 Russians and two Americans. I don't think that I saw a guard that stops Americans at the door, and the owner of the school is a business person, and would be glad to get tuition even from angles or dolphins if they came.
After that, in all of my positions, and I'v been in 8-9 (I like short term contracts), Indians were a huge percentage of the work force. I'm sure that the white managers will be happy to fill the positions with people from the same culture and pronounceable names, but there are just not enough skilled people.
That is my expereance, maybe other people from IT see something different.
Anyway, I don't believe that someone eager to work will prefer to be unemployed instead of getting 100-130k.

Foreigners are allowed in American and they intentionally try to subvert Americans by getting their countrymen and other foreigners hired over often more qualified Americans. Many of these foreigners even have fake degrees and fraudulent credentials.

I'm telling you it's nepotism and anti-Americanism. Immigration today is very dangerous to Americans well being and prosperity.

Many studies are showing that all the news jobs in net have gone to immigrants. Americans more qualified are being pushed out.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:45 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
and i'm talking about non-whites who are uncomfortable living in certain places because whites are after them and making them uncomfortable. This happens more often than you think.

If my comment doesn't make sense, then explain the fact that about a 1/3 of america is non-white, yet only 14% for foreign-born according to the census?

That's what you may think, but the rest of your white boys don't see it that way. If your last name not british, german, or scandinavian and your face doesn't scream 100% white, then you're not a "real american". If you want to date a non-white like you are now, you have to think of these things now, and realize your racial and gender privilege (notice i didn't say economic privilege?)

yes they can. Whites are under the false asusmption that obama erased racism in the us. That is part for parcel not true in the slightest. If anything, obama's election has made white rural america angrier and edgier than ever that "that boy" can sit on "their" chair. White supremacists will only get more desperate and violent, not less. The good thing about trump is that he's exposing america's poor race relations for all to see. Obama never made anything go away. You only have to look at cd, especially after obama was elected a second time, when right-wing whites on here became unhinged. you can be right-wing and not be racist, like my brother-in-law. If you're a trump supporter and you're dating or married to an "ethnic" i would sit back and take stock of how this will affect my partner and our future children, if any. It's no longer about you anymore. By the way, i'm speaking in generalities, not you specifically.
yeeeesss!!!!! The real USA is on display for the world.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:26 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
dechatelet (post #194)....Your "America" does not exist and never did. America has been a multicultural country since the Puritans that were too good to work brought in some Scot ironmasters to set up an illegal iron works in Saugus in the 1600's.
The Puritans were too good to work?

On what do you base that?

Nothing, of course.

Quote:
Besides there were the Americans that were already here and were soon killed off by European bio war called measles and smallpox.
Right.

The Europeans deliberately plotted biological warfare against the natives.

Your ignorance and hatred of whites reveal themselves for all to see.

I really don't see how you can stand living here.

Must not be good for your mental health.

Quote:
Speaking of immigration: Why does your screen name sound so French? If you were a true blue real American it would be something like billybob.
What a dumb question.

Since when is a screen name supposed to say ANYTHING about a person who uses it?

I would have chosen "12345678" if they had allowed it.

I picked "dechatelet" because it was very unlikely anyone else would use it, and because it was the name of a character in a novel I was reading at the time.

Quote:
The United States uses American, not English as its legal language.
It uses English.

There is no such language as "American."

Again, your ignorance is showing.

Quote:
I obey the law. That's the only thing that the american society can demand from me.
Wrong.

It can and SHOULD demand that you love America and its traditions.

Why should we accept immigrants who just want to use us like they would use a convenient restroom?

If you're not planning to stay here and you have a job that no American can do, that is one thing.

But then, I wouldn't call you an immigrant.

You'd be a guest worker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Lol, so let me get this straight. You think the country should reflect only the first people who happened to arrive and declare this land as the United States and then never ever ever change again?
Basically, yes.

Of course, there would be gradual change and evolution -- even if there were no immigration at all.

And with immigration, you would have even more change.

That's fine.

What isn't fine is people not even trying to assimilate, and instead bad-mouthing the majority culture and its traditions.

Immigrate somewhere else if you can't at least respect the people who came before you and created a country that you or your recent ancestors CHOSE to live in.

Quote:
Well, there goes your precious jello and cheeseburgers that you apparently think do epitomize American culture.
What a dumb comment.

Quote:
Americans are the most pill addicted nation on Earth, the most mentally ill, one of the most stressed out, and we have the most mass shootings and serial killers in the world. Whose culture sucks?
Just about every other culture in the world sucks outside of the U.S., Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Britain and Europe.

That's why people from the Third World want to come here and nobody wants to immigrate to the Third World.

Your silly harping on relatively minor defects (compared to tribal warfare, stoning of women, concentration camps in North Korea, etc., etc.) is just part of the lack of perspective that liberals have in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Too many of these people coming to America are here simply for a change of address, they have no intention of joining our culture and traditions or becoming Americans. and why would they, when so many liberals preach how awful the USA is and despise their own country.
Exactly.

It's really the liberals more than the immigrants who are the problem.

Quote:
...You're speaking from the point of view of someone with white male privilege in a country that the entire power structure is run by.......white males! It's not so cut and dry as you would think. Check your privilege before typing
"Check your privilege before typing." Another newly minted lefty slogan.

To the extent that white males run the country, it is because we are a majority white country, and women generally don't want to work the 80-90 hour weeks that top managers, attorneys, entrepreneurs etc. have to put in to rise to the top.

Whites also outperform non-whites (with the exception of Asians, who are a small minority) in school.

And males outperform females in high-paying math, science, engineering and technical fields.

But it is not only white males who run the country.

Government at all levels is staffed with plenty of non-whites and women.

You obviously are angry that white people even exist in this country. But at the same time, you want us to cater to you.

Well, I for one am not interested in doing that.

Quote:
...where do the Asians that have been here for 4+ generations go?
Why would they want to leave?

They're doing fine.

Quote:
How about the Chicanos that live in the US simply because the border moved around them in 1848?
Nonsense.

Spain controlled the territory that eventually became part of the U.S., and then Mexico only had it for about sixteen years.

Very few Mexicans even lived in that territory.

It was lived in by Spaniards, Native American tribes, and (in California) the "Californios" who were not Mexican.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Did I say that so called "people of color" ain't welcome here? I was talking about this who ain't comfortable here, they can LEAVE and stay gone.
Exactly.

And that would include whites.

I wish the liberals would leave, too. They are destroying this country.

Quote:
And I'm talking about non-whites who are uncomfortable living in certain places because whites are after them and making them uncomfortable. This happens more often than you think.
Oh, sure it does.

Quote:
Whites are under the false assumption that Obama erased racism in the US. That is part for parcel not true in the slightest.
He could not have gotten elected in this (majority-white) country if whites here were as racist as you say they are.

Plenty of whites who can't stand him would be perfectly happy with Dr. Ben Carson or any other conservative black.

Quote:
If anything, Obama's election has made white rural America angrier and edgier than ever that "that boy" can sit on "their" chair.
No, the reason they hate him is because he is obviously racist against whites.

And he talks down to them ("clinging to their guns and Bibles.")

Obama is a left-wing affirmative action phony that only liberals, leftists and non-whites (but not ALL non-whites) could love.

Quote:
White Supremacists will only get more desperate and violent, not less.
So what have they done during Obama's presidency?

With the exception of Dylan Roof, nothing.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:23 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
And I'm talking about non-whites who are uncomfortable living in certain places because whites are after them and making them uncomfortable. This happens more often than you think.

If my comment doesn't make sense, then explain the fact that about a 1/3 of America is non-white, yet only 14% for foreign-born according to the census?

That's what you may think, but the rest of your white boys don't see it that way. If your last name not British, German, or Scandinavian and your face doesn't scream 100% white, then you're not a "real American". If you want to date a non-white like you are now, you have to think of these things NOW, and realize your racial and gender privilege (notice I didn't say economic privilege?)

Yes they can. Whites are under the false asusmption that Obama erased racism in the US. That is part for parcel not true in the slightest. If anything, Obama's election has made white rural America angrier and edgier than ever that "that boy" can sit on "their" chair. White Supremacists will only get more desperate and violent, not less. The good thing about Trump is that he's exposing America's poor race relations for all to see. Obama never made anything go away. You only have to look at CD, especially after Obama was elected a second time, when right-wing whites on here became unhinged. You can be right-wing and not be racist, like my brother-in-law. If you're a Trump supporter and you're dating or married to an "ethnic" I would sit back and take stock of how this will affect my partner and our future children, if any. It's no longer about you anymore. By the way, I'm speaking in generalities, not you specifically.
I don't know what to tell you then since many light skin anglo white people ARE also uneasy living in a Black hood or even a Mexican or Cuban Hispanic area, even some of the Latinos ARE also "white".

Too; the last name thing, that does NOT seem to hurt Italian or Irish named people that much. Tho la raza has done a LOT of damage to people with names like "Rodriguez, Sanchez, and so on:; because of their kind demanding amnesty for iLLEGAL aliens since MOST are some kind of "Hispanic".

Old 01-01-2016, 05:37 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The topic isn't about baseball. It's about assimilating to our language out in mainstream. In other words join our society if you are here not alienate and divide yourself instead by language instead. It's not about freedom. I may have the freedom to spit on the sidewalk if I like but it is still rude.
Let's move into details.
What exactly do you want me to do?
I pay taxes and obey the law.
I speak English at work and to clerks/cashiers in public places (as I have another choice...).
I speak Russian to my wife (It's much easier for both of us, as we are first generation and came to here in our adulthood) and Russian/Hebrew to kids (I want them to be multilingual). The kids know English very well and speak with American accent, but they know 2 more languages.
I prefer to read and write in Hebrew and Russian. Those cultures are much closer to me than the American one. (Unfortunately America does not have yet writers on the level of Tolstoy, Dostoevski and Pushkin, or books on the level of the Bible).
I don't like some american games like football or baseball. NBA and hockey are great.
I don't like fast-food. I prefer Russian or middle eastern cuisine.
I'm a very strong supporter of 2A, and a member of the NRA.

So, what do you think I need to change to be "A good American"?

Old 01-01-2016, 05:47 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Wrong.

It can and SHOULD demand that you love America and its traditions.

Why should we accept immigrants who just want to use us like they would use a convenient restroom?
Please show me this demand on one of the USCIS forms, thank you.
Why should you accept educated people? Maybe because it's good for the economy? You need to ask those who let us in.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:07 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Problem is, a lot of you don't want to let us assimilate in the first place. You're speaking from the point of view with someone with white male privilege in a country that the entire power structure is run by.......white males! It's not so cut and dry as you would think. Check your privilege before typing

Seriously? It's 2016 now. "Check your privilege" is so 2015. Unless you're a freshman in college you need to grow up.

And as a Puerto Rican you honestly need to sit down anyway. YOU have a privilege as compared to every other Latino group banging down the doors to get to the United States. Nobody stops Puerto Ricans from assimilating. I know plenty who have and thrive. Run around with a "Puerto Rico, Mi Orgullo" as your attitude however and resent the US, and maybe you're not going to make it.

Average Puerto Ricans in America have more power and wealth than they do in Puerto Rico. More opportunity here than that island, which, despite having all advantages of being associated with the US, can't govern itself out of a paper bag. If it were a state even Alabama would be able to say, "well, at least we're not Puerto Rico."

Same thing with Mexicans, and various other immigrants from developing crap hole countries who send their impoverished to the United States as a safety valve. The world is handed to these immigrants in United States and all you want to do is ***** about the "white power structure" and think it's unfair that the group of people who designed and developed the institutions of the United States (which create conditions and countries that are attractive TO immigrate TO), actually exert majority control over it. Que horror! I wonder why there aren't any Americans in Mexican political office? How many gringos have been governor of Puerto Rico?

No, "TheUnbrainwahed," you and every other immigrant are very much allowed to assimilate. Nobody asks of you, Latinos, Muslims, or any other group anything that hasn't been asked of people before them. Instead, the "melting pot" has recently lost favor for the "salad bowl" approach, and American identity and unity is slipping away during a time when new arrivals are increasingly asking everyone else to start paying more to take care of everyone else, become more democratically social, etc. Yeah, sure, that's going to work in a country of this size!

And before you ask me to "check my privilege," note that my father and his entire family (brothers and sisters) are immigrants from Portugal. Who came here not speaking the language. Who are not much different than many Latino nationalities in appearance or culture. I have tons of cousins. I cannot think of any who have not assimilated or who still prefer to live in the ethnic ghetto neighborhoods that their family first settled in. They didn't lose their traditions, but us first generation are fully Americanized, as it should be.

Last edited by TriMT7; 01-01-2016 at 08:26 AM..

Old 01-01-2016, 08:13 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Seriously? It's 2016 now. "Check your privilege" is so 2015. Unless you're a freshman in college you need to grow up.

And as a Puerto Rican you honestly need to shut up and sit down anyway. YOU have a privilege as compared to every other Latino group banging down the doors to get to the United States. Nobody stops Puerto Ricans from assimilating. I know plenty who have and thrive. Run around with a "Puerto Rico, Mi Orgullo" as your attitude however and resent the US, and maybe you're not going to make it.

Average Puerto Ricans in America have more power and wealth than they do in Puerto Rico. More opportunity here than that island, which, despite having all advantages of being associated with the US, can't govern itself out of a paper bag. If it were a state even Alabama would be able to say, "well, at least we're not Puerto Rico."

Same thing with Mexicans, and various other immigrants from developing crap hole countries who send their impoverished to the United States as a safety valve. The world is handed to these immigrants in United States and all you want to do is ***** about the "white power structure" and think it's unfair that the group of people who designed and developed the institutions of the United States (which create conditions and countries that are attractive TO immigrate TO), actually exert majority control over it. Que horror! I wonder why there aren't any Americans in Mexican political office? How many gringos have been governor of Puerto Rico?

No, "TheUnbrainwahed," you and every other immigrant are very much allowed to assimilate. Nobody asks of you, Latinos, Muslims, or any other group anything that hasn't been asked of people before them. Instead, the "melting pot" has recently lost favor for the "salad bowl" approach, and American identity and unity is slipping away during a time when new arrivals are increasingly asking everyone else to start paying more to take care of everyone else, become more democratically social, etc. Yeah, sure, that's going to work in a country of this size!

And before you ask me to "check my privilege," note that my father and his entire family (brothers and sisters) are immigrants from Portugal. Who came here not speaking the language. Who are not much different than many Latino nationalities in appearance or culture. I have tons of cousins. I cannot think of any who have not assimilated or who still prefer to live in the ethnic ghetto neighborhoods that their family first settled in. They didn't lose their traditions, but us first generation are fully Americanized, as it should be.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:10 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Let's move into details.
What exactly do you want me to do?
I pay taxes and obey the law.
I speak English at work and to clerks/cashiers in public places (as I have another choice...).
I speak Russian to my wife (It's much easier for both of us, as we are first generation and came to here in our adulthood) and Russian/Hebrew to kids (I want them to be multilingual). The kids know English very well and speak with American accent, but they know 2 more languages.
I prefer to read and write in Hebrew and Russian. Those cultures are much closer to me than the American one. (Unfortunately America does not have yet writers on the level of Tolstoy, Dostoevski and Pushkin, or books on the level of the Bible).
I don't like some american games like football or baseball. NBA and hockey are great.
I don't like fast-food. I prefer Russian or middle eastern cuisine.
I'm a very strong supporter of 2A, and a member of the NRA.

So, what do you think I need to change to be "A good American"?
You need to learn how to evade taxes.
Keep speaking English, but add in some poor grammar, more confusing idioms, and talk faster.
Multilingual? Screw that. Try to forget every language you ever knew besides English, and definitely don't speak or write it!
(The Bible in Hebrew? Obviously you should be reading the American Standard! We can sub in some Hemingway, Twain, Poe, Fitzgerald, and Faulkner for all those Russian writers. Ayn Rand is probably okay too, hey, she was Russian!)
You don't have to like football and baseball. You just have to watch it. That's what the beer is for.
You don't have to like fast food. You just have to eat it. That's what the soda is for.
You don't have enough firearms. Buy more.
/s

Not sarcastic part: There really are some great American authors, including the ones in the list (not Rand). They obviously are their own style and are most stronger in short story than novels, but Twain, in particular, often wrote in a serial style that should remind you of Russian authors. Check out "Roughing It". Poe can carry the tension of Dostoevsky and then some, even if he was not a comparable novelist. And Faulkner has a writing style that should be easier to relate to if you are a Tolstoy fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies