Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2016, 02:44 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Seriously? It's 2016 now. "Check your privilege" is so 2015. Unless you're a freshman in college you need to grow up.

And as a Puerto Rican you honestly need to sit down anyway. YOU have a privilege as compared to every other Latino group banging down the doors to get to the United States. Nobody stops Puerto Ricans from assimilating. I know plenty who have and thrive. Run around with a "Puerto Rico, Mi Orgullo" as your attitude however and resent the US, and maybe you're not going to make it.

Average Puerto Ricans in America have more power and wealth than they do in Puerto Rico. More opportunity here than that island, which, despite having all advantages of being associated with the US, can't govern itself out of a paper bag. If it were a state even Alabama would be able to say, "well, at least we're not Puerto Rico."

Same thing with Mexicans, and various other immigrants from developing crap hole countries who send their impoverished to the United States as a safety valve. The world is handed to these immigrants in United States and all you want to do is ***** about the "white power structure" and think it's unfair that the group of people who designed and developed the institutions of the United States (which create conditions and countries that are attractive TO immigrate TO), actually exert majority control over it. Que horror! I wonder why there aren't any Americans in Mexican political office? How many gringos have been governor of Puerto Rico?

No, "TheUnbrainwahed," you and every other immigrant are very much allowed to assimilate. Nobody asks of you, Latinos, Muslims, or any other group anything that hasn't been asked of people before them. Instead, the "melting pot" has recently lost favor for the "salad bowl" approach, and American identity and unity is slipping away during a time when new arrivals are increasingly asking everyone else to start paying more to take care of everyone else, become more democratically social, etc. Yeah, sure, that's going to work in a country of this size!

And before you ask me to "check my privilege," note that my father and his entire family (brothers and sisters) are immigrants from Portugal. Who came here not speaking the language. Who are not much different than many Latino nationalities in appearance or culture. I have tons of cousins. I cannot think of any who have not assimilated or who still prefer to live in the ethnic ghetto neighborhoods that their family first settled in. They didn't lose their traditions, but us first generation are fully Americanized, as it should be.
This I've seen: people of Portuguese family usually WANT to not only be "American", many of them also ID as "anglo white" despite having last names like Garcia, Rodrigues and so on. Calling a person of Portuguese "Hispanic" can be fightin' words. That blaming the anglo white for feeling outside are mostly people with Spanish last names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palm2013 View Post
Nowadays, Europe & East Asia are modernized. Caucasian & East Asian can assimilate into the American culture easily (even within the first generation). A large percentage of black, brown, and Muslim people do not want to (or feel that they cannot) fit into the American culture. They have a very deep hatred for the “white power structure”. They want to bring the “white power structure” down. By doing that, they are turning America into the crappy hell hole that they ran away.
Agreed tho what IS a "brown" person? It ain't a race and even some anglo whites look "Mexican" brown. A year ago I was talking with a dude I swear was "Mexican"; nope, he was from Germany.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:07 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Not surprising. There's an innate hatred for legal and illegal immigration in many American's, and it's not always about breaking the law. It's also about knowing that the people who come to our country have no respect for our culture, nor any plans to actually assimmilate. The fact that it makes her feel like a "gringa" is enough motive for me to want deport her ass in 0.1 seconds.

Liberals are always wanting proof of the systemic destruction of our country: WELL HERE IT IS.
A young immigrant who's so fluent in English that she takes Spanish classes to communicate with her family is now evidence of "systemic destruction"? Could you guys make up your minds?

Old 01-01-2016, 05:21 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Keep in mind that many didn't "come" to American by free will.

Also many were here before the european criminals came here.

Many others resent the USA for it's many wrongful doings around the world.. ie, Nagasaki, Hiroshima.. Iraq, "staging" of Pearl Harbor attacks, 9/11 etc..
Hate America much?

Run out of tin foil?

Old 01-01-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
A young immigrant who's so fluent in English that she takes Spanish classes to communicate with her family is now evidence of "systemic destruction"? Could you guys make up your minds?
That 14 year old alien girl feels that way I guess. Tho she's a kid and might change her mind once she gets older.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:52 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
my boss is mexician born American, but cant speak a word of Spanish. he told me the day they came over, they quit speaking Spanish, they wanted to fit in that much. and I see a lot of mexician family that cannot speak Spanish. I know this one person that been here 19 years and can hardly talk to his mom in mexico city because he forgot the language.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:40 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Keep in mind that many didn't "come" to American by free will.

Also many were here before the european criminals came here.

Many others resent the USA for it's many wrongful doings around the world.. ie, Nagasaki, Hiroshima.. Iraq, "staging" of Pearl Harbor attacks, 9/11 etc..
Spanish speakers were here before "European criminals" came here? Do tell.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:12 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
What is our culture exactly? We do not have our own language- we kept the Brits Why we lose the accent?

Old 01-01-2016, 10:34 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Let's move into details. What exactly do you want me to do?
Make up your mind that you like America and its traditions, or vote with your feet and leave.

Quote:
Unfortunately America does not have yet writers on the level of Tolstoy, Dostoevski and Pushkin, or books on the level of the Bible.
Nonsense. Poe and Twain in particular are world-class authors. Poe had a huge influence on French literature. Twain's "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" is a great novel by any standard.

And what are you going to do, just read the Bible, Dostoevsky and Tolstoy all your life?

I read English, French, German, Russian and American literature.

Your looking down at American culture is a sign that you are not even interested in understanding your adopted country.

Quote:
I don't like some american games like football or baseball. NBA and hockey are great.
I don't like fast-food. I prefer Russian or middle eastern cuisine.
I'm a very strong supporter of 2A, and a member of the NRA. So, what do you think I need to change to be "A good American"?
There is no particular thing you have to like or dislike. You could start with not thinking you are better than Americans are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Please show me this demand on one of the USCIS forms, thank you.
Why should you accept educated people? Maybe because it's good for the economy? You need to ask those who let us in.
It should be obvious that when you immigrate to a country, it is reasonable of the people of that country to expect that you are doing so because you love that country, not because you just want to use it for your own narrow purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
What is our culture exactly? We do not have our own language- we kept the Brits Why we lose the accent?
Why don't you lazy people who ask "What is our culture" go to a library and study our history, literature, art, politics, music, etc., including their antecedents in Europe.

I get the feeling your whole idea of America comes from pop culture and going to the mall.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:29 AM

62,951 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
my boss is mexician born American, but cant speak a word of Spanish. he told me the day they came over, they quit speaking Spanish, they wanted to fit in that much. and I see a lot of mexician family that cannot speak Spanish. I know this one person that been here 19 years and can hardly talk to his mom in mexico city because he forgot the language.

Gee, I wonder why am hearing a lot of Spanish babble everywhere I go then? Did they all just jump our border? I don't think so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies