U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:19 AM

41,823 posts, read 44,464,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Good point... now only if you lived in isolation instead of the society you choose to, and enjoy commercial developments as a result. In a society, you must learn to give up "me, me, me" mentality. When you do both, you come out as a whiny person, a hypocrite.
Don't question my charitable contributions to society, I can guarantee the free and interest free fuel alone I've provided to needy families far exceeds anything you have given.

Quote:
Why should a tax on oil be all about repairing and building roads?
LOL, you always avoid the hard parts of the discussion and try and steer the discussion away from them. What does this question have to do with why we aren't pushing for freight rail?

In any event to answer your question perhaps because they are crumbling under our feet?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 11:20 AM

3,325 posts, read 2,861,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
No it doesn't because full buses shouldn't need public funding.

That would depend. Is the driver making more money than god? If so, he's/she's union and it will always require public funding.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:27 AM

31,765 posts, read 26,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Well, I do know the difference between profit and loss, shouldn't you?
Yes I should, and do. In fact, I can see that you understand the difference between profit and loss albeit at elementary school level, obviously a conservative view of it. Real world economics demands more, however.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:28 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,735,511 times
LOL, So glad I'm not driving. I'll stick to riding the trains, no matter how uncomfortably crowded they've been getting lately.
I've read he's thinking about increasing those fares too.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:29 AM

10,218 posts, read 7,233,389 times
Quote:
No it doesn't because full buses shouldn't need public funding.
And what's the logic behind this? Do full highways need public funding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Well, I do know the difference between profit and loss, shouldn't you?

Riding the Subsidized Rails of Amtrak at a Loss of $32 per Passenger - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine
Do you think roads, highways, interstates operate at a profit?

Old 02-02-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
And what's the logic behind this? Do full highways need public funding?
The funds are obtained from those using the service through taxes on fule, registrations etc. Matter of fact driving is huge source of revenue for the government if you wanted to included licensing costs, speeding tickets etc.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:33 AM

31,765 posts, read 26,167,958 times
Quote:
Don't question my charitable contributions to society, I can guarantee the free and interest free fuel alone I've provided to needy families far exceeds anything you have given.
I don't care about your charities and charitable contributions. I'm talking about taxes, societies and responsibilities. Let us stick with it.

Quote:
LOL, you always avoid the hard parts of the discussion and try and steer the discussion away from them. What does this question have to do with why we aren't pushing for freight rail?
There are no hard part in these discussion, just non-sense and BS kind. Excuses to push for keeping the demand for oil, and sticking the head in the sand when it comes to consequences of it. The hard point would be to agree with a "conservative" on the value of conservation of resources.

Quote:
In any event to answer your question perhaps because they are crumbling under our feet?
Why do you need them?

Old 02-02-2012, 11:39 AM

10,218 posts, read 7,233,389 times
Quote:
The funds are obtained from those using the service through taxes on fule, registrations etc. Matter of fact driving is huge source of revenue for the government if you wanted to included licensing costs, speeding tickets etc.
And do all these "user taxes" cover the maintenance and expansion of our roads?

Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,172,127 times
Wow, I've been hearing about this in the news lately. As if the recent $1 toll increase for MDTA roadways, tunnels, & bridges wasn't enough....

What about the proposed "App" tax for iPhone users?

Old 02-02-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
And do all these "user taxes" cover the maintenance and expansion of our roads?
If they don't then they should, having said that they support a lot of things like mass transit. I've already posted my thoughts on this. I actually support increases taxes because it's needed but that support only comes with the assurance all current taxes collected and any new taxes would be used only for roads and bridges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies