U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 12:01 PM

41,823 posts, read 44,411,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I don't care about your charities and charitable contributions. I'm talking about taxes, societies and responsibilities. Let us stick with it.
Sorry but it's not your discussion to steer. It's my belief charity begins at home and if I want to be charitable to my fellow man the what and how much should be left up to me. I'm tired of seeing my taxes get thrown down a black hole when they could be put to better uses.

Quote:
There are no hard part in these discussion, just non-sense and BS kind. Excuses to push for keeping the demand for oil, and sticking the head in the sand when it comes to consequences of it. The hard point would be to agree with a "conservative" on the value of conservation of resources.
I've offered an alternative to subsidizing mass transit that would have a greater impact. Instead of throwing money away perhaps we should consider more practical use of it, you're just blinded by the glint of the fancy new train your politician gets to have their picture taken next too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 12:08 PM

31,765 posts, read 26,152,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Sorry but it's not your discussion to steer. It's my belief charity begins at home and if I want to be charitable to my fellow man the what and how much should be left up to me. I'm tired of seeing my taxes get thrown down a black hole when they could be put to better uses.
Your charity is your premise, even if you want to use a pulpit and a microphone to announce it. We're talking about taxes, and responsibilities of people towards the society. These are not meant to be optional.

Quote:
I've offered an alternative to subsidizing mass transit that would have a greater impact. Instead of throwing money away perhaps we should consider more practical use of it, you're just blinded by the glint of the fancy new train your politician gets to have their picture taken next too.
There is always room for improvement, even in best of ideas. That is not the problem here. The problem is resistance to accepting a world and impact that is often much larger than commonly held perceptions. Its not about whether a person is blind or not, it is a handicap of mental abilities that prevents a person from recognizing that. Denial is also a part and parcel of such attitude.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:16 PM

41,823 posts, read 44,411,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Your charity is your premise, even if you want to use a pulpit and a microphone to announce it. We're talking about taxes, and responsibilities of people towards the society. These are not meant to be optional.
I see it as forced charity.

Quote:
There is always room for improvement, even in best of ideas. That is not the problem here. The problem is resistance to accepting a world and impact that is often much larger than commonly held perceptions. Its not about whether a person is blind or not, it is a handicap of mental abilities that prevents a person from recognizing that. Denial is also a part and parcel of such attitude.
LOL, still no words addressing the suggestion we subsidize freight rail, is it too sensible? Getting long haul trucks off the roads should be priority number one if we're going subsidize any form of transit if you want to see substantial reductions in the use of oil and make our rods last longer but because it won't score any political points with people like you we'll never see anything like that.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I see it as forced charity.
That is your problem, and only helps prove my point made a while ago.

Quote:
LOL, still no words addressing the suggestion we subsidize freight rail, is it too sensible? Getting long haul trucks off the roads should be priority number one if we're going subsidize any form of transit if you want to see substantial reductions in the use of oil and make our rods last longer but because it won't score any political points with people like you we'll never see anything like that.
Political points are the problem. You can't think outside of politics and there is ample evidence of it in EVERY post that is more than a sentence long. You use it to cover up what is technically a denial that oil-based economy is a disaster waiting to happen. The problem isn't just oil based, but that we overuse oil. Like I said, the hard point for me would be to agree with a "conservative" on conservation of resources because they couldn't care less about it and consequently the point doesn't exist!

Subsidies are necessary against establishment. In political terms, that is how I thought tea party was presented... you can't rely on establishment to make things better.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:05 PM

9,734 posts, read 8,602,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Yes. I think it should be more than 6%. Gas prices are too low in this country. Higher gas prices will force car manufacturers to make more efficient vehicles.
We had those in the 80's. They were called 'econoboxes' and they were junk. What makes you think manufacturers will follow suit? They are not in the oil business. They don't get any more or less money based on the consumption of fuel.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
We had those in the 80's. They were called 'econoboxes' and they were junk. What makes you think manufacturers will follow suit? They are not in the oil business. They don't get any more or less money based on the consumption of fuel.
Your attempt reminds me of arguments I came across and argued 10-12 years ago, about how uni-body "SUVs" are a fad, while "real" SUVs are ladder frame based. Well... welcome to the real world.

Not only have higher prices promoted production and sales of fuel efficient vehicles, but it has also taught people to be more responsible for those who choose to learn rather than to stay under a rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies