U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 02:04 PM

41,823 posts, read 44,417,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why only roads and bridges? That sounds like a business proposition for oil companies, promoting more oil based infrastructure.
If someone is being a charged a user fee then that is what it should pay for, if you want to charge people a tax for mass transit, bike paths or whatever the case is then lets itemize it on the receipt as a tax for mass transit and see how long it lasts.

Once that fials you can charge people using these services what it costs to maintain them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 02:08 PM

58,165 posts, read 45,685,084 times
Quote:
Leach.

$3.25/gallon, with $0.384/gallon in fed-state taxes, I paid 6.3% in taxes to federal government, and 7.1% to Texas when I filled up my car last week.
That's what you paid in explicit taxes.

In reality you proably paid at least another $1 out of the $3.25 to cover taxes implicit to getting that gallon of gas into your tank.

Port fees, property taxes, taxes on profits made along the way, taxes paid by the refinery workers and so forth.

Just interesting that when an oil company makes 30 cents profit on that gallon of gas, the politicians scream about taking those profits....while $1.50 or so goes into their pocket.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:09 PM

31,765 posts, read 26,155,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If someone is being a charged a user fee then that is what it should pay for, if you want to charge people a tax for mass transit, bike paths or whatever the case is then lets itemize it on the receipt as a tax for mass transit and see how long it lasts.
User fee for roads and bridges would require toll roads and bridges, not tax on gasoline. If I'm paying "user fee" on oil, perhaps it should be only used on oil and nowhere else, not even to help reduce reliance on it? That is as absurd a take as there can be.

Oil importation, consumption and consequences to health and environment also bears costs. Why must we turn a blind eye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's what you paid in explicit taxes.

In reality you proably paid at least another $1 out of the $3.25 to cover taxes implicit to getting that gallon of gas into your tank.

Port fees, property taxes, taxes on profits made along the way, taxes paid by the refinery workers and so forth.

Just interesting that when an oil company makes 30 cents profit on that gallon of gas, the politicians scream about taking those profits....while $1.50 or so goes into their pocket.
Oh, the typical "conservative" "poor gas companies" logic is back. But you may be onto something when you touched on politicians' pockets (no pun intended). Really? Is that your excuse against this idea of sales tax on gasoline?

Old 01-31-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
O’Malley wants 6 percent sales tax added to gasoline - Maryland Politics - The Washington Post

Do you support a sales tax for gasoline in your state, on top of federal and state gasoline taxes that already exist?
Maryland is just trying to shore up their reputation as having one of the highest overall tax burdens of any state.

I don't know, I'd prefer the state takes a hard look at tightening their budget belt before reaching for my pocket.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:34 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,478,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Actually, funny you mention that. The whole reason that MD needs more tax revenue for infrastructure is because it failed to invest in its infrastructure during good times. Now it's behind the curve and asking citizens to make up for the failure of government. The Purple Line is a side show intended to make people like you stump for the Governor. It obviously worked.
I'm not sure exactly how that is Martin O'Malley's fault then. Taking your premise at face value, one can conclude he is doing the right thing in raising taxes as you are saying other governors neglected to do so as to not raise voter ire. I don't see how in your mind, responsible governance is to be condemned and it would be more right to go down the wrong road of underfunding transportation infrastructure.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Oh, the typical "conservative" "poor gas companies" logic is back. But you may be onto something when you touched on politicians' pockets (no pun intended). Really? Is that your excuse against this idea of sales tax on gasoline?
I'm actually not opposed to a sales tax on gasoline per se, the government has to collect revenue some way and depending on the situation it may or may not make sense. You do realize that sales taxes are regressive and this will hurt the working poor? Why isn't MD just increasing the upper bands of state income taxes instead?

It's just important to note that this INCREASE is roughly equal to the entire profit margin on a gallon of gas....something we were told was OBSCENE by polticians.

You can label me a conservative or whatever since you are apparantly incapable of discussing the issue. What I see is someone looking to stick it to the little guy with regressive sales taxes on an item with no reasonable substitute. But hey, let's slap on a fat sales tax and then when gas spikes up over $4 in the summer we will blame the oil companies because we look out for the little guy. Lying politicians.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:48 PM

31,765 posts, read 26,155,086 times
Quote:
I'm actually not opposed to a sales tax on gasoline per se, the government has to collect revenue some way and depending on the situation it may or may not make sense. You do realize that sales taxes are regressive and this will hurt the working poor? Why isn't MD just increasing the upper bands of state income taxes instead?

It's just important to note that this INCREASE is roughly equal to the entire profit margin on a gallon of gas....something we were told was OBSCENE by polticians.

You can label me a conservative or whatever since you are apparantly incapable of discussing the issue. What I see is someone looking to stick it to the little guy with regressive sales taxes on an item with no reasonable substitute. But hey, let's slap on a fat sales tax and then when gas spikes up over $4 in the summer we will blame the oil companies because we look out for the little guy. Lying politicians.
I can't speak for why MD isn't doing this or that. I can speak for points presented and whether I agree with it or not. In this case, I agree. The poor haven't been immune from massive fluctuations in gas prices after all. Better sooner than later we all, the poor included, need to learn that oil prices are only going up.

And Americans are unlikely to learn of the flip side, while they enjoy the benefits of "cheap oil". Never mind the burden oil prices have created to shed jobs... because the states' revenue was trailing its expense (Texas in my case).

Old 01-31-2012, 03:20 PM

23,837 posts, read 20,878,500 times
Quote:

I asked EG to explain why he felt imposing an additional sales tax on the poor and middle class during a down economy was a good idea, and he never did explain his position. Only that he wanted more taxes.

This is directly in line with Democrats and Liberal ideology: Spending other peoples money needs no excuse or explanation. Just do it.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:30 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,687,372 times
I don't even know if the current gas pumps are equipped to handle the flat gas taxes plus sales tax computations. Would they have to be re-jiggered to handle the extra computations?

Old 01-31-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I don't even know if the current gas pumps are equipped to handle the flat gas taxes plus sales tax computations. Would they have to be re-jiggered to handle the extra computations?
Don't worry, they will pass that cost along to the consumer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies