U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 03:59 PM

18,590 posts, read 17,359,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
O’Malley wants 6 percent sales tax added to gasoline - Maryland Politics - The Washington Post

Do you support a sales tax for gasoline in your state, on top of federal and state gasoline taxes that already exist?
We were talking about this at work. Complete insanity.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 04:02 PM

31,765 posts, read 26,167,958 times
Quote:
I asked EG to explain why he felt imposing an additional sales tax on the poor and middle class during a down economy was a good idea, and he never did explain his position. Only that he wanted more taxes.
Liar.

Quote:
This is directly in line with Democrats and Liberal ideology: Spending other peoples money needs no excuse or explanation. Just do it.
So, THAT is the idea when right wingers complain about the poor and the middle class not paying their fair share. Got it.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:05 PM

18,590 posts, read 17,359,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I'm actually from MD and we need that tax to support our infrastructure and build the Purple Line extension to the DC Metro rail. A lot of people on here have no idea what any of this is about so I'm not sure why you bother commenting. Congestion is horrible in the DC area and I applaud O'Malley for being forward thinking.
Well than don't build it then. Who asked them to bankrupt the transportation fund for the ICC? I refuse to pay a sales tax in addition to onerous gas taxes. It's absurd. If they want money for the Purple Rail so bad it should either be self funding or find money from other sources.

The Dems are running this state into the ground. You know it's bad when Maryland's total tax burden is worse than DC's.

Maryland residents pay higher state, local taxes than Va., D.C. | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/virginia/2011/03/md-residents-pay-higher-state-local-taxes-va-dc - broken link)

Quote:
A typical area family -- one with $150,000 annual household income, a home valued at $350,000 and cars worth $20,000 -- pays more in state and local income and property taxes in Prince George's County than they do in Arlington, where, despite the lower tax rate, the schools are rated higher, the crime rate lower, and the budget more stable, according to a Washington Examiner analysis of tax rates in each jurisdiction.
Residents of Prince George's County pay $2,000 a year more than those in Arlington County and the gap is even greater when income and property values are running higher, the analysis shows.
Taking into account income, vehicle and property taxes, Prince George's County residents pay even more than those in Montgomery County, which has always had one of the largest tax burdens in the region. A family that pays $14,400 a year in Montgomery would pay $15,200 in Prince George's.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:14 PM

31,765 posts, read 26,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Well than don't build it then. Who asked them to bankrupt the transportation fund for the ICC? I refuse to pay a sales tax in addition to onerous gas taxes. It's absurd. If they want money for the Purple Rail so bad it should either be self funding or find money from other sources.
Likewise, roads and bridges should be self-funding. They don't help otherwise.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:04 PM

36,164 posts, read 46,560,154 times
What hasn't been mentioned here is that successive MD Governors, both Democrats and the lone Republican since the 1960's, have raided the Highway Trust Fund (as well as other dedicated funds) to balance the General Fund since the 1980's.

This is where the rubber really meets the road in MD-local jurisdictions, both County and municipal, have been required by the state to do roadwork with the promise that the state would continue to rebate to the locals a portion of the gas tax. That stopped two years ago when that rebating (based on number of non-state and non-private roads miles in the jurisdiction) was cut by 90% and then 95%. The same thing happened to State Aid For Police. Some of that funding was restored but it was dimes not dollars.

Also keep in mind that this sales tax is on top of the already in place liquid fuels tax (an O'Malley proposal is out there to raise that by $.15/gal). My gut tells me that this is a ploy to get one or the other passed since support for the gas tax hike was almost nonexistent in the Legislature. Basically this makes it a "pick your poison" situation.

Interestingly enough the sales tax will raise more revenue than a flat increase in the gas tax.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:37 PM

16,793 posts, read 16,416,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yes I do with the condition every penny they now collect and any increase would go exclusively to roads & bridges.
Good luck. NJ's Progressive political apparatus moved money from the Transportation Fund to the General Fund and poof.....................

Old 01-31-2012, 06:55 PM

23,837 posts, read 20,888,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Liar.

So, THAT is the idea when right wingers complain about the poor and the middle class not paying their fair share. Got it.
If you insist on calling me a liar, should I insist on going back and copying and pasting all your responses to see if you did indeed answer the question?

You did not respond to my question with an answer. Laziness or pure disingenuous on your part, matters not to me. But you did NOT answer me when I asked you why you believe a sales tax should be levied on the poor and middle class during this economy. Anyone who clicks on your link will see that.

My Question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC
You should explain your position. Saying you want to pass a tax on the poor and middle class during tough economic times deserves further explanation.
Your "Answer:"

Quote:
It is funny you complaining about my argument. Last time I filled up my car, the sales tax paid was about 13.4%. Is that better for the poor and middle class?
Besides, it is amusing that a conservative is using crocodile tears for an excuse while trumpeting... Use it? Pay for it... model. Why are you against people paying sales tax, especially those that you regularly bad mouth for not contributing?
Case Closed. So who's the liar here?

Old 01-31-2012, 06:58 PM

12,381 posts, read 24,382,532 times
The recent boondoggle of an ICC highway project that no one uses bankrupted the Transportation trust fund , hench why taxes need to go up...

Old 01-31-2012, 09:11 PM

2,047 posts, read 1,423,803 times
Quote:
O’Malley wants 6 percent sales tax added to gasoline - Maryland Politics - The Washington Post

Do you support a sales tax for gasoline in your state, on top of federal and state gasoline taxes that already exist?
this guy has got to be a democrat. they say they want to save the midddle class but at the same time they are bleeding them to death!!!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:31 PM

22,619 posts, read 15,794,709 times
Quote:
You highlight a growing problem in the US.

Unfortunately, because of Liberals, people see the US as a nation, instead of the federation that it was created as.

The result is that people are incorrectly focused on "national numbers" like the national unemployment rate, the national GDP rate etc, without realizing that the national numbers are nothing more than an average of the 50 economies of the 50 sovereign States.

Worse than that, many States, like Florida, Texas, California, Ohio, Illinois, et al have more than one economy. The economies of the Florida Panhandle and of South Florida are neither dependent nor interdependent on each other, and so if South Florida goes into a recession, it does not automatically affect North Florida.

And people don't realize that throughout history, the US has been affected by rolling regional recessions, where one or more regions of the US were in a recession or recessionary period for a time. Advances in transportation and communications have eliminated localized regional economies, but that only shifts the focus to individual States.

So when you read the discombobulated BLS reports, you see things like 25 States had net job gains in December, but 24 States experienced net job losses (and one State unchanged for the most part).

Anyway, all States are suffering loss of revenues from property taxes due to the real adjustment of the over-inlfated housing market. You can see that in lay-offs if you look here...

Daily Job Cuts - Layoff News , Job Layoffs 2012 / 2011 , Bankruptcy, Store closings, Business Economy News

...where you see public schools and State, county and city government laying off employees through November, December and January (and funny how Obama's last --or rather lost-- stimulus plan was supposed to save those jobs.

In addition to lower property tax revenues, States are suffering from a loss of sales tax revenues, as well as earnings tax revenues and also excise taxes from gasoline.

So now States are trying to come up with clever ways to recoup that money (instead of just cutting the pork off the budget). Oregon is contemplating a mileage tax, as are a few other States, and some are looking at either increasing the gasoline excise tax to make up for lost monies, or extending the State sales tax to cover gasoline (we pay freaking sales tax for a taxi cab ride here).

I'm wondering if some State budget directors are also correctly seeing the future. They might be aware of the fact that in the future, the competition for tax dollars in the US is going to get incredibly fierce.

SSA recommends in the June 2011 Social Security actuarial report of raising the FICA tax from 6.2% to 16.4% (in addition to eliminating the cap). In reality, they'll have to raise it incrementally to 20% to 25% if they want to keep it operating through 2040.

As I said on another post, someone earning $40,000 would lose $367/month and that is money that cannot be used to buy taxable goods and so a State like Ohio would lose about $5 Billion to $7 Billion in potential sales tax revenues. For a State like Ohio, that would be about 20% of the State's annual $26 Billion budget.

So how are States going to fund their unfunded pension plans, and maintain interstates, US routes, State routes and other roads, and their bridges, plus fund all the other things?

Like I said, over the next few years, the battle for tax money between the States and the federal government is going to get really ugly.

But about the tax increase, what States need to be doing is eliminating their deficits, balancing their budgets, getting their pensions funded to adequate levels and cutting spending, while simultaneously standing on the backs of the counties and cities to do the same.

I can see where that is damn near im-possible in the current climate created by the me-first-gimme-a-handout crowd. Until people stop living in denial and face reality, there'll be nothing but more bad government on a spending spree until the State is bankrupt.

Not supporting...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Yes. I think it should be more than 6%. Gas prices are too low in this country. Higher gas prices will force car manufacturers to make more efficient vehicles.
Higher prices for 8-Track tape cassettes did not force manufacturers to make better 8-Track tape players.

Just saying...

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies