U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:42 AM

12,731 posts, read 18,501,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
My point is, it should be. Can't pay? Don't buy. The least it will do is bring down consumption, which should bring down costs, which should help the poor and the middle class be able to buy more. After all, we're consuming more gasoline today than when it was cheaper, aren't we?
You, who resides in Texas (No State Tax), specifically Dallas (Everyone Drives), and proudly boasts of driving a BMW (you wouldn't know a bus if it ran over you) are going to tell we who make Maryland our home what is right? We already pay more gas tax per gallon than you do.

They say everything is big in Texas. I reckon that includes your hyprocrisy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 AM

14,295 posts, read 8,638,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
O’Malley wants 6 percent sales tax added to gasoline - Maryland Politics - The Washington Post

Do you support a sales tax for gasoline in your state, on top of federal and state gasoline taxes that already exist?
I have heard people from Maryland talking about the politics in that state, and they sounded like big tax and spend libs, guess my keen political assessment was correct.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:06 AM

29,409 posts, read 19,815,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
As I said on another post, someone earning $40,000 would lose $367/month and that is money that cannot be used to buy taxable goods and so a State like Ohio would lose about $5 Billion to $7 Billion in potential sales tax revenues. For a State like Ohio, that would be about 20% of the State's annual $26 Billion budget.
Excellent point. My state is looking at jacking up the tax 10% if they get their way. Now of course these same politicians will turn around and scream about evil oil profits when folks start complaining about the gas prices like they always do. Of course we have a republican governor and the democrats shoot back that we need to instead invest in hi speed rail and public transportation. Where will that money come from they never have an answer. Would be nice to take hi speed rail to your farm out in Boone County. lol

This on top of the cameras going up all over to nail speeders for more tax revenue and talk of imposing tolls on the highway. Yep just raping the citizens instead of reigning in spending what politicians do best.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:11 AM

31,765 posts, read 26,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
You, who resides in Texas (No State Tax), specifically Dallas (Everyone Drives), and proudly boasts of driving a BMW (you wouldn't know a bus if it ran over you) are going to tell we who make Maryland our home what is right? We already pay more gas tax per gallon than you do.

They say everything is big in Texas. I reckon that includes your hyprocrisy.
Yeah, I'm telling you that it is a good idea. Won't mind if Texas does something along the lines. People are free to whine, including that only people from MD should participate in this thread.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:13 AM

58,330 posts, read 45,760,992 times
Maryland is a state that runs on government spending. When so many get thier income from the government spending MORE and might be laid off if there were spending cuts....it's not hard to imagine what their attitude is? More taxes, mores spending! It's wierd to meet people that have spent their whole lives in an artificial public sector environment where there are no *profits*, just spending....and oh yeah, we can ignore that deficit since it will be someone elses problem in 20 years. I got mine.

At least there are *some* efforts to cut spending....we shall see if those fly....
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...plan/?page=all

Old 02-01-2012, 09:14 AM

23,837 posts, read 20,888,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I have heard people from Maryland talking about the politics in that state, and they sounded like big tax and spend libs, guess my keen political assessment was correct.
Governor O'Malley is one of the more egregious, unapologetic Big Government Liberal Governor's in the nation.

He's worthless as far as i'm concerned.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:19 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,389,615 times
Don't care. I decided to leave when they started taxing plastic bags at the grocery store in my county. A month at most.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:20 AM

14,295 posts, read 8,638,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Excellent point. My state is looking at jacking up the tax 10% if they get their way. Now of course these same politicians will turn around and scream about evil oil profits when folks start complaining about the gas prices like they always do. Of course we have a republican governor and the democrats shoot back that we need to instead invest in hi speed rail and public transportation. Where will that money come from they never have an answer. Would be nice to take hi speed rail to your farm out in Boone County. lol

This on top of the cameras going up all over to nail speeders for more tax revenue and talk of imposing tolls on the highway. Yep just raping the citizens instead of reigning in spending what politicians do best.
If they jack up prices of fuel, watch everything go up in price along with it. They can't think that increasing fuel costs to companies that halt good and services to go unnoticed, they will pass those costs on to the consumer.

as someone we all know has said, regarding increased energy costs:

"..that will cost money and they will have to pass those costs onto consumers."

Old 02-01-2012, 09:42 AM

36,164 posts, read 46,560,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
My point is, it should be. Can't pay? Don't buy. The least it will do is bring down consumption, which should bring down costs, which should help the poor and the middle class be able to buy more. After all, we're consuming more gasoline today than when it was cheaper, aren't we?

Which is one reason for the proposed increases in taxes. The revenue is down due to lower consumption (economy, habit and technology caused). The same thing happened when tobacco taxes were raised: projected revenue was X. Due to lowered consumption revenues were actually X-y. Now another tobacco tax increase is being discussed to bring revnues back up to X.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 AM

31,765 posts, read 26,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Which is one reason for the proposed increases in taxes. The revenue is down due to lower consumption (economy, habit and technology caused). The same thing happened when tobacco taxes were raised: projected revenue was X. Due to lowered consumption revenues were actually X-y. Now another tobacco tax increase is being discussed to bring revnues back up to X.
Really? Do you have the data, or pulling an argument out of thin air? And why do you think prices are as high as they've been for months? Is it because we can't produce enough, or the demand is down and we produce too much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies