Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:44 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,098,568 times

Advertisements

I applaud MD for doing this. I wish more people weren't as short sighted than the posters that are against it as apparently these people are under the impression that roads/bridges pay for themselves, oil is unlimited, America is the only country that uses oil, and that the world is growing at an alarming rate. Ignorance is bliss until another oil spike occurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 10:46 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,098,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Another loony liberal idea.

What happened to the outrage about high gasoline prices when Bush was the president?
Yea making people pay for using a service is a loony liberal idea, we should just make roads, bridges, and mass transit free for everyone as I'm sure conservatives would like.

There is still outrage but not as much, at least until the next oil spike. Also, I think people are waking up to the idea of cheap oil going away.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:04 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,722,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Yea making people pay for using a service is a loony liberal idea, we should just make roads, bridges, and mass transit free for everyone as I'm sure conservatives would like.

There is still outrage but not as much, at least until the next oil spike. Also, I think people are waking up to the idea of cheap oil going away.
Man you are ignorant.

O'Malley is not doing this to encourage people to ride our overcrowded and dysfunctional transit system (I do). He is not doing this to deter people away from cheap oil.

He is doing this because he and the other fools who run Maryland cannot balance the books or do anything that resembles fiscal sanity.

We already pay high taxes here and yet we are continually nickled and dimed for more. How much is enough? Why doesn't O'Malley try to tame spending? Is that concept really so bad, so undoable?

Now, take your ignorance and your hackneyed insults and get the hell out of here.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:11 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,164,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
O’Malley wants 6 percent sales tax added to gasoline - Maryland Politics - The Washington Post

Do you support a sales tax for gasoline in your state, on top of federal and state gasoline taxes that already exist?
In my state.....no. In maryland.......looks like its time to vote with your feet.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
In my state.....no. In maryland.......looks like its time to vote with your feet.
In time....

Old 02-01-2012, 11:40 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
Quote:
I applaud MD for doing this. I wish more people weren't as short sighted than the posters that are against it as apparently these people are under the impression that roads/bridges pay for themselves,
Yes but apparently a substantial part of this new tax is being earmarked for rail transportation according to the articles I'm reading and I came across this as well:

Quote:
Leggett also emphasized the need to secure the state's dedicated Transportation Trust Fund. In the past several years, Gov. Martin O'Malley has dipped into the fund to fill budget gaps in the general fund, including $100 million for the current fiscal year. Department of Transportation Secretary Beverley Swaim-Staley insisted Tuesday that the money will be repaid.
This is what I'm talking about, you have fuel taxes that are not funding roads and bridges and in the case above something that has nothing to do with transportation. It's a constant bait and switch.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:44 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,767,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yes but apparently a substantial part of this new tax is being earmarked for rail transportation
As it should be. Rail transportation can help reduce dependency on oil. If anything, it sounds like the perfect application, as opposed to just more of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Man you are ignorant.
:
Now, take your ignorance and your hackneyed insults and get the hell out of here.
Not a post to me, or you'd have received the favor back, unless you're trying to illustrate hackneyed insults. Unwarranted, considering it was in response to an earlier idiocy.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I applaud MD for doing this. I wish more people weren't as short sighted than the posters that are against it as apparently these people are under the impression that roads/bridges pay for themselves, oil is unlimited, America is the only country that uses oil, and that the world is growing at an alarming rate. Ignorance is bliss until another oil spike occurs.
So, I'm guessing you're not of my socio-economic class.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
As it should be. Rail transportation can help reduce dependency on oil. If anything, it sounds like the perfect application, as opposed to just more of the same.
What is it with you people and railroads? Honestly, they're either economically viable or they're not.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post

Not a post to me, or you'd have received the favor back, unless you're trying to illustrate hackneyed insults. Unwarranted, considering it was in response to an earlier idiocy.
I am shaking in my boots. The Trust Fund Baby gonna thow another hissy fit?

You Dallasonians. Car crazed and empty-headed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies