Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,098,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't use rail, why should I support it? I mentioned before the buses running around in my county, brand new with no one on them. You think that's an adequate use of taxes?
The buses in my neck of the roads are generally full, I guess my anecdotal story about buses cancels out your anecdotal story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,722,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
OK? And what are the consquences of higher gas prices? People tend to use less gas...... There are intended and unintended consequences to everything just so you know.

Or MD can not raise the gas tax and continue down its same path as government leaders, dems and repubs, are both equally good at wasting money.

Here in Texas we have the opposite problem, our taxes are so low nothing is funded properly and we have an exploding population which is recipe for disaster. Texas will be like Cali with all the overcrowded and inadequate infrastructure.

LOLZ. Oh nos internet threats! I bet he sure is scared of you...
Not a threat. Just some perverse humor on a slow day. And as I am just text on a screen, he should have no fear of me whatsoever.

There is rationality in what you way. However, we are already very heavily taxed on all levels in Maryland. And, as I mentioned, the Maryland government is not stewarded by fiscal responsibility. Maryland, particularly my county, is chacterized by a vulgar combination of both left and right. They spend millions subsidizing illegals while allowing big developers to run rampant with their shopping mall cities and leaving us with the bill for new infrastructure, schools, cops, etc.

Were that not the case, I would be more willing to accept it. When the Free State ceases fiscal insantiy and can prove, more or less, that they have done all the cost-cutting, productivity enhancements, and belt-tightening they can, then we can talk about tax increases.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:30 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,767,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Parasites
Public Transpo Refuseniks
Materialistic, Superficial, and fanatically Christian.

You're welcome.
Well, we can agree on that.

Quote:
Which I would kick you with were I willing to ever set foot in that tacky shopping mall masquerading as a city.
Must be a lot going on in those boots... do they stink? I hear a bubbling sound, even over teh internets.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't use rail, why should I support it? I mentioned before the buses running around in my county, brand new with no one on them. You think that's an adequate use of taxes?
Good point... now only if you lived in isolation instead of the society you choose to, and enjoy commercial developments as a result. In a society, you must learn to give up "me, me, me" mentality. When you do both, you come out as a whiny person, a hypocrite.

Personally, I see oil usage as detrimental to the future of the society I choose to live in, and consequently willing to contribute towards effect that allow for a reduction, with commercial development benefitting from it. Do you always discount indirect benefits of infrastructure, or follow a pick and choose mentality?

Quote:
If you wanted to reduce oil consumption and reduce the wear and tear on our highways go right to the root of the problem, subsidize and provide incentive to use rail for freight. Although it's an obvious and most likely best solution that won't score political points compared to shiny new trains for commuter traffic will it?
Why should a tax on oil be all about repairing and building roads?

Old 02-02-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Must be a lot going on in those boots... do they stink? I hear a bubbling sound, even over teh internets

Like dead rats.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Like dead rats.
No wonder you've been trying to shake those off. I was right about the stink after all.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No wonder you've been trying to shake those off. I was right about the stink after all.
100% correctamundo.

First time for everything.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
100% correctamundo.

First time for everything.
First pair of boots? No wonder you hate shopping malls.

I will leave you at that.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:11 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
The buses in my neck of the roads are generally full, I guess my anecdotal story about buses cancels out your anecdotal story.
No it doesn't because full buses shouldn't need public funding.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:17 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,164,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Certainly, within the limited confines of your understanding of economic viability. Outside of it... leave it to us.

Its the future, again.
Well, I do know the difference between profit and loss, shouldn't you?

Quote:
The Pew Charitable Trusts SubsidyScope Project has just released a new report that finds 41 out of Amtrak's 44 routes lose money. The losses ranged from nearly $5 to $462 per passenger, depending upon the line, and averaged $32 per passenger. According to the report:
Riding the Subsidized Rails of Amtrak at a Loss of $32 per Passenger - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies