Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 03:47 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
User fee for roads and bridges would require toll roads and bridges, not tax on gasoline. If I'm paying "user fee" on oil, perhaps it should be only used on oil and nowhere else, not even to help reduce reliance on it? That is as absurd a take as there can be.
You're not paying an oil tax because\ these taxes for the most part are only applied to fuel that is used in vehicles hence the reason it is often referred to as a motor vehicle fuel tax, therefore it's a user fee. For example heating oil(aka diesel fuel) does not have the motor vehicle fuel taxed. Matter of fact there is diesel pumps at many stations at least in my area that have no tax on them for off road use, this non taxed fuel is dyed so it can be detected if it's used for on road use.

I know your next argument is going to be they collect tax on all gasoline however there is a tax rebates available for that.

Quote:
Excise Taxes - Construction Tax Tips (http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/industries/article/0,,id=99855,00.html - broken link)

Fuel Tax Credits and Refunds
A federal excise tax is imposed on gasoline ($.184 per gallon), clear diesel fuel ($.244 per gallon), and clear kerosene ($.244 per gallon). The amount of these taxes may be credited or refunded if these fuels are used in many types of off-road uses. Common off-road uses include use as heating oil, use in stationary engines, use in non-highway vehicles, and use in separate engines mounted on highway vehicles.
Play your semantic games, I don't care what you want to call it. The bottom line is this, taxes collected at the pump to fuel vehicles should be used exclusively for roads and bridges. If that were the case perhaps we wouldn't be in this mess with crumbling roads and bridges instead of having $500K buses running around with no one on them as we do in my area.

Last edited by thecoalman; 02-01-2012 at 04:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 04:58 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,524,919 times
O'Malley makes the argument that businesses recognize the need for road construction, infrastructure upgrades in the State. So why not tax the businesses who create the wear and tear? Maryland already has an excise tax on gas of 42 cents per gallon (23 of which is State money). Money is tight - cut services, cut education funding, cut whatever must be cut. O'Malley has always been a tax and spender. When he was Mayor of the city, I expressed my complaint about my outrageous property tax on newly constructed homes in the city. At a time when the city was desperate for middle class people to move back to the city his response was, "I have a suggestion, if you don't like the taxes, move to the county". Well, that's exactly what I did and never looked back. Now I'm thinking it may be time to apply his advice to the state I am living in. Enough is enough.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:03 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,775,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
O’Malley wants 6 percent sales tax added to gasoline - Maryland Politics - The Washington Post

Do you support a sales tax for gasoline in your state, on top of federal and state gasoline taxes that already exist?
I support the tenth amendment. If they feel this is the right way to go about things, I'm not the one who has to live with it. Strange that you make a federal case out of it.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
O'Malley makes the argument that businesses recognize the need for road construction, infrastructure upgrades in the State. So why not tax the businesses who create the wear and tear?
To some extent they do, as your fuel usage increases the amount of tax you pay also increases because you use a lot more fuel per mile. I don't know what the costa are in Maryland but a large single axle truck like a medium sized dump truck is going to be about $600 for the registration each year. It's thousands for larger trucks.

In any event any increased taxes the business pays will be paid by the consumer. I used to have small trucking business and fuel was certainly a large expense and the cost of my services in part were dependent on fuel. If I have to pay more taxes those costs will just be added to the bill, you're going to pay for it one way or the other.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:18 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Maryland: More Massachusetts than Massachusetts ever was.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:25 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You're not paying an oil tax because\ these taxes for the most part are only applied to fuel that is used in vehicles hence the reason it is often referred to as a motor vehicle fuel tax, therefore it's a user fee.
Doesn't matter what it is called. It is a tax and that is my point. Calling it by any other name doesn't make it something else, or different than sales tax on, say, a t-shirt.

Quote:
Play your semantic games, I don't care what you want to call it. The bottom line is this, taxes collected at the pump to fuel vehicles should be used exclusively for roads and bridges. If that were the case perhaps we wouldn't be in this mess with crumbling roads and bridges instead of having $500K buses running around with no one on them as we do in my area.
I'm not the one who is playing semantic games. I'm calling a tax, a tax. Is that bad?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:25 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
O’Malley wants 6 percent sales tax added to gasoline - Maryland Politics - The Washington Post

Do you support a sales tax for gasoline in your state, on top of federal and state gasoline taxes that already exist?
I detest my Governor. He, like most liberals, make no sense. The old, kick 'em while there down strategy is getting old.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You're not paying an oil tax because\ these taxes for the most part are only applied to fuel that is used in vehicles hence the reason it is often referred to as a motor vehicle fuel tax, therefore it's a user fee.
Doesn't matter what it is called. It is a tax and that is my point. Calling it by any other name doesn't make it something else, or different than sales tax on, say, a t-shirt.

Quote:
I'm not the one who is playing semantic games. I'm calling a tax, a tax. Is that bad? A tax isn't always designed to go towards an exact effect. We see that with sales tax. Why should oil be immune from it?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:33 AM

45,312 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post

I'm not the one who is playing semantic games. I'm calling a tax, a tax. Is that bad? A tax isn't always designed to go towards an exact effect. We see that with sales tax. Why should oil be immune from it?
Your liquid fuels tax in TX is technically not a sales tax nor is MD's. In most states the liquid fuels tax is directed to be used for transportation related projects to include mass transit.

The MD proposal has the proposed sales tax collected at the wholesale level, not at the pump. The pump price will of course reflect the additional sales tax.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Your liquid fuels tax in TX is technically not a sales tax nor is MD's.

The MD proposal has the proposed sales tax collected at the wholesale level, not at the pump. The pump price will of course reflect the additional sales tax.
My point is, it should be. Can't pay? Don't buy. The least it will do is bring down consumption, which should bring down costs, which should help the poor and the middle class be able to buy more. After all, we're consuming more gasoline today than when it was cheaper, aren't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies