Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:20 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Leach.

$3.25/gallon, with $0.384/gallon in fed-state taxes, I paid 6.3% in taxes to federal government, and 7.1% to Texas when I filled up my car last week.
I still own land in Maryland, out by the W. Va border (MD's hindquarters). I have ties to the state and have hope that it will emerge out of its darkness. But their draconian gun laws, crime, traffic and cost of living exceed the highly interesting nature of the job offer in question. Plus, the pay is just insufficient especially when you add this on to my commuting bill. I'll stay here in less crowded, less crime, more diverse area of Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 12:20 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,533 times
Yes. I think it should be more than 6%. Gas prices are too low in this country. Higher gas prices will force car manufacturers to make more efficient vehicles.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:22 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Yes. I think it should be more than 6%. Gas prices are too low in this country. Higher gas prices will force car manufacturers to make more efficient vehicles.
So inflicting pain on citizens is the way to do that? It's not like efficient cars will show up tomorrow. How long are you willing to absorb higher gas prices before you get pisssed enough at automakers for being excrutiatingly slow at bringing more fuel efficiency to the market. Do you like being beholden to car companies?

Old 01-31-2012, 12:26 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
So inflicting pain on citizens is the way to do that? It's not like efficient cars will show up tomorrow. How long are you willing to absorb higher gas prices before you get pisssed enough at automakers for being excrutiatingly slow at bringing more fuel efficiency to the market. Do you like being beholden to car companies?
If you think 6% would be inflicting pain, the way oil industry manages to fluctuate prices is downright murderous.

Quote:
Irrelevant. And actually defeats your own argument. You did not pay a sales tax. But now you promote one. Tell us why.
I said, I paid 6.3% in taxes to federal government, and 7.1% in taxes to state (Texas) government. Just because it ain't called "sales tax" doesn't make it "not a tax". As for why I promote it? Americans need to get in touch with the realities. And to learn that if 6% bothers them so much, perhaps they can take a look at themselves and see if they can do something about it. I can. Can you not?

Old 01-31-2012, 12:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:

Do you support a sales tax for gasoline in your state, on top of federal and state gasoline taxes that already exist?
Yes I do with the condition every penny they now collect and any increase would go exclusively to roads & bridges.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:32 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yes I do with the condition every penny they now collect and any increase would go exclusively to roads & bridges.
Why only roads and bridges? That sounds like a business proposition for oil companies, promoting more oil based infrastructure.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:34 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,533 times
Quote:
Car companies will only respond to what consumers demand. Most Americans do not care about fuel economy. The only way to get your average American to care about fuel economy is if they see higher gas prices. I drive a lot so I would be paying alot more for gas but I am willing to take the short term pain for the long term benefits.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:36 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
It's a bit much to to charge a gas tax and sales tax on the same gallon of gas.

He should have the guts to propose a flat increase on gas. If he doesn't have the guts, he should drop the proposal.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:41 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
I'm actually from MD and we need that tax to support our infrastructure and build the Purple Line extension to the DC Metro rail. A lot of people on here have no idea what any of this is about so I'm not sure why you bother commenting. Congestion is horrible in the DC area and I applaud O'Malley for being forward thinking.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:46 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I'm actually from MD and we need that tax to support our infrastructure and build the Purple Line extension to the DC Metro rail. A lot of people on here have no idea what any of this is about so I'm not sure why you bother commenting. Congestion is horrible in the DC area and I applaud O'Malley for being forward thinking.
Actually, funny you mention that. The whole reason that MD needs more tax revenue for infrastructure is because it failed to invest in its infrastructure during good times. Now it's behind the curve and asking citizens to make up for the failure of government. The Purple Line is a side show intended to make people like you stump for the Governor. It obviously worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies