Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 05:00 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
I didn't propose any argument against homosexuality,so...

You reasoned fallaciously by saying "but straights do this, ..." this isn't argument for the safeness and goodness of the homosexualality, it is an argument against "straights". So what if straights are doing bad thngs, does this logically imply that homosexuality is a good thing? No. It is a non-sequitur -- it does not follow.
But the fact remains, others, many liberals, have debated, will debate, and are currently debating EVERYTHING you listed in the opening post. I have asked you to debate me directly, and you won't do it.

So, is your point disproved enough for you yet? BTW, there is this button in the top right corner of the opening forum screen, says "search this forum", you can type in any of the words you listed above, and they have been hotly debated in the past, multiple times.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:04 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
But the fact remains, others, many liberals, have debated, will debate, and are currently debating EVERYTHING you listed in the opening post. I have asked you to debate me directly, and you won't do it.

So, is your point disproved enough for you yet? BTW, there is this button in the top right corner of the opening forum screen, says "search this forum", you can type in any of the words you listed above, and they have been hotly debated in the past, multiple times.

Those hot topics aren't central to my argument. I could've used other examples, those points were just examples of things many liberals take to be unquestionable truths. The topic is Liberal and their attitude/view of truth. the latter is much more broad than what you want to debate.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:09 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Liberals make up about 35% of the voting population. Many "independents" and Republicans support liberal ideals and programs.

Hell Romney just said in a campaign speech that he would secure social security and medicare for the next generations.

Please, post proof of your posts assumptions.
NONSENSE.

U.S. Political Ideology Stable With Conservatives Leading

That would be called "fringe".

Old 01-31-2012, 05:15 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
NONSENSE.

21% very conservative is not fringe?
Come on.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Those hot topics aren't central to my argument. I could've used other examples, those points were just examples of things many liberals take to be unquestionable truths. The topic is Liberal and their attitude/view of truth. the latter is much more broad than what you want to debate.
But your point is that liberals won't debate these topics.

List your other topics, or go to the search function at the top right.

I guarantee you I can find at least one thread, if not many, on every topic you can think of.

Trust me, I've been on this forum for over three years now, and I've seen it all.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
NONSENSE.

"At the same time, just 32.7% of adults said they were Democrats, down from 34.9% in November. The previous low for Democrats was 33.0% in August of this year. ."

Partisan Trends - Rasmussen Reports™

Rasmussen isn't exactly a "liberal" source of polling now is it?

At last I had seen, it was at 35%, or around that. I think this proves my point.

Debunked

Old 01-31-2012, 05:29 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times
Quote:
Maybe i shouldn't have used the examples. I think it is clear that the post is about Liberals and Truth, not HBI's. I think people naturally want respond to that part of the post for whatever millitant reason.

Don't you think this mindset is predcated on modern liberal presuppositions? Conservatives I debate typically do not take facts for granted.
No, I don't think that. I've encountered much more absolutism in thought from conservatives than liberals in my life. Deviancy from conservative "truths" used to get a person labelled as gay or communist, today they probably have other labels. "Liberal commie pinko" is a joking phrase now but it stems from being used in seriousness.

Do you live in a mostly conservative or mostly liberal environment?

Old 01-31-2012, 05:58 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
The fact is if you are open minded on most political issues by the time you are thirty ya ain't real bright.

The very fact you label yourself liberal or conservative means you have closed your mind to certain arguments of the other side.

Last edited by whogo; 01-31-2012 at 06:07 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 06:00 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
No, I don't think that. I've encountered much more absolutism in thought from conservatives than liberals in my life. Deviancy from conservative "truths" used to get a person labelled as gay or communist, today they probably have other labels. "Liberal commie pinko" is a joking phrase now but it stems from being used in seriousness.

Do you live in a mostly conservative or mostly liberal environment?
Probably liberal. I think much of mainstream thinking is liberal though. I think conservatives are absolutists, but this isn't bad.What is bad is thinking that the "truth of the matter is irrelavent as long as everyone is happy" or whatever. Conservatives are very entrenched in their views, but mostly because they think it is the truth.

The value of truth is the problem here. how can any debate be fruitful if your ideology treats truth like an "option"? on this view, I ideology can only be checked by praticality or whatever. This can't be a good thing.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:07 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Quote:
This thread proves what i am saying in the OP. Those subpoints aren't the topic, they are simply examples.
This concept may be difficult for you to grasp, but if the evidence you cite in support of your argument is false that might undermine your argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies