Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 03:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

So I can top the tweeting tourist that got arrested.
12 year old boy brings a pocket knife and pellet gun to school
He's arrested and put into juvenile detention for making terroristic threats only he didn't threaten anyone.

Texas middle school student accused of threats - KTEN.com Sherman Denison Ardmore News Weather Sports
The incident happened just after lunch Monday at Woodgate Intermediate School in the southwestern outskirts of Waco. Police Sgt. Patrick Swanton says the student was showing the gun and knife to friends. The friends informed school officials, who confiscated the weapons and called police.

The student was taken to McLennan County Juvenile Detention Center and charged with making a terroristic threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 04:02 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,099 times
"Terroristic Threats" is the most overused and inappropriately applied charge I can recall.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:14 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
If the kid had a "hit list" in his locker (yes this happened in a city I used to live in), then I could see terroristic threats.

However, bringing a gun or a knife to school to show your friends isn't terroristic. Stupid, yes. Worthy of punishment, hell yes. Terrorist? Not in my opinion.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:19 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
If I was growing up today I would be doing life. thank God it was the 50's

Old 01-31-2012, 07:21 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
We all used to bring our shotguns to school on opening day of Dove season, so we could hit the fields as soon as school let out.

If you took shop, Coach would let you out of class early.

Now you can't even bring a gun close to school.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:11 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
This country has flushed itself in the name stopping terrorism. It's populated by scared, timid sheep. How sad.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:42 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
Yeah, we should definitely be encouraging 6th graders to bring guns and knives to school. What could possibly go wrong?

Old 01-31-2012, 08:46 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
We all used to bring our shotguns to school on opening day of Dove season, so we could hit the fields as soon as school let out.

If you took shop, Coach would let you out of class early.

Now you can't even bring a gun close to school.
Same here...I carried a Buck knife in a case on my side that I got for my 8th B-Day to school everyday after that all the way through to graduation and never had a single school official so much as mention it...in HS I carried rifles in a gun rack in my truck's rear window so I could shoot after school with other guys...never had a school official say a word.

I would be in Gitmo for it now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
This country has flushed itself in the name stopping terrorism. It's populated by scared, timid sheep. How sad.
Yep and it's only going to get MUCH worse with NDAA and the unPatriot act still rolling good.

This country is a sorry mess for the average person or good 'ol boy anymore.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:38 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Alright, let's not get all bent out of shape yet.

The Texas Penal Code classification of a "terroristic threat," has little or nothing to do with what we call a terrorist today. The law was first passed in 1973 and has been amended several times. In it's current form, it reads thusly:

§ 22.07. TERRORISTIC THREAT. (a) A person commits an
offense if he threatens to commit any offense involving violence to
any person or property with intent to:
(1) cause a reaction of any type to his threat by an
official or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies;
(2) place any person in fear of imminent serious
bodily injury;
(3) prevent or interrupt the occupation or use of a
building, room, place of assembly, place to which the public has
access, place of employment or occupation, aircraft, automobile, or
other form of conveyance, or other public place;
(4) cause impairment or interruption of public
communications, public transportation, public water, gas, or power
supply or other public service;
(5) place the public or a substantial group of the
public in fear of serious bodily injury; or
(6) influence the conduct or activities of a branch or
agency of the federal government, the state, or a political
subdivision of the state.

Simply by showing those weapons, the boy likely violated sections 2,4 and 5. Moreover, brandishing a weapon is a crime in Texas. He's actually fortunate that they did not charge him with felony assault, which is usually the charge when a weapon has been brandished, even for a minor.

Additionally, Texas schools are weapons free zones with no tolerance. At 12 years of age, he could reasonably be expected to know and understand that.

The crime he's charged with is a Class B Misdemeanor. He is not going to jail, but he IS going to learn a very valuable lesson about abiding by the law. So is everyone else familiar with the case.

We may agree or disagree with the charge, but the County Attorney is well within the law on this one. Yes, we weren't subject to such things when we were kids (if you're as old as I am), but this ain't your fathers schoolhouse any more.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:40 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Amen to that. Our children would have been taken from us as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies