Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 12:08 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,766,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
However, she apologized for her actions so IMO, we should forgive her.
She apologized for being "too strident".

She did not apologize for her actions, which gave aid and comfort to the enemy in a time of war.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 12:14 PM

50,179 posts, read 63,636,357 times
Jane Fonda is another inconsequential Liberal, but who among us would want the misguided actions of our youth trotted out and dredged up. I wouldn't.
What I find annoying is that the good, lean genes she got from her parents are the only thing that makes her have good health and a good figure at her age. It is not an accomplishment. Just like being pretty is not an accomplishment.
She is certainly no wiser than I am, yet she is now supposed to be held up as some sort of icon. Call me unimpressed.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:27 PM

779 posts, read 536,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Where were you when Kennedy escalated that war so much by sending in more troops? I guess you weren't around back then since it is over 50 years ago.
What the hell?

I was reading letters from my dad who was busy fighting that war while the hawks back home salivated.

Kennedy sent advisors and some special forces to protect them. Johnson committed ground troops in '65.

You're taking coals to Newcastle here Roy, my dad died over there - I know the story.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Yeah? Well, I wasn't there so I only know the results. Kennedy sent the first men there; Johnson built it up. I certainly agree that it was primarily Johnson's war, but McNamara was simply the secretary of defense. For whatever reason Johnson escalated the war, it falls on his shoulders.

But that's neither here nor there. The point is that Jane Fonda went WAAAAY to far by cozying up with the Vietcong. To call her a traitor is pretty much spot-on, imho.

If Obama is indeed honoring her with an award, it will not be appreciated by the men who fought in Nam. Pretty stupid in an election year, but....
"simply the Secretary of Defense"

LOL!

Anyway, Johnson's mess is what steered me away from the Dems, way back when.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
My perspective is two years of my life over there. Whining? maybe you should go back to school and learn the definition of the word... I didn't complain or protest her, if you heard high pitched sounds coming from C-D I suggest you have your system or your hearing checked out.

I said she could rot in hell as far as I was concerned, big difference.

whine (hwn, wn)v. whined, whin·ing, whines
v.intr.
To utter a plaintive, high-pitched, protracted sound, as in pain, fear, supplication, or complaint.
2. To complain or protest in a childish fashion.
3. To produce a sustained noise of relatively high pitch:
Been on the net long? If so, you should know by now that the definition copy/paste thing is considered pretty silly.

Whining. Yep, that's what I hear. Sorry to disturb your delicate sensibilities, soldier.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Actually, Truman set the stage for us to get into Viet Nam. Post WW2, France, who couldn't even keep their own country, asked Truman to help them hold onto their colony, Viet Nam. Instead of siding with Ho Chi Minh in their desire for freedom, Truman sided with France. Ho had no choice but to seek help where he could find it. Truman basically forced North Vietnam to get help from Communist countries at that point.
^^Exactly^^

Old 02-01-2012, 01:05 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,210,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Ancient history. Yawn.
Ancient? Rather odd concept of what is ancient history. There are a hell of a lot of vets that wore a uniform during that era for which Vietnam is anything but ancient. This is a major reason why there is such anger and hatred directed toward JF that will never end.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:11 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,493,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Ancient? Rather odd concept of what is ancient history. There are a hell of a lot of vets that wore a uniform during that era for which Vietnam is anything but ancient. This is a major reason why there is such anger and hatred directed toward JF that will never end.

It's now been nearly 50 years since the introduction of large numbers of ground troops into Vietnam. By the same token, 50 years before that was WWI and I considered that as "ancient history," didn't you?

Ya just don't realize how old we really are!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:41 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,310,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I am happy to hear that the president is going to honor her.

The measure of a person's life is in its entirety, not one specific incident that when put into perspective simply illustrates the greatness of this country that allows people to freely speak their minds....
Really? Had she made even a single foolish racist or even "racist" utterance in her lifetime, even one she later said she' came to regret, nobody'd go near her. Forgiveness is a selective virtue in this country -thanks to political correctness.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:59 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,650,996 times
The difference between Hanoi Jane and Dick cheyney is that Jane actually went to vietnam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies