Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 03:15 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,305,461 times

Advertisements

Anti-War Protestors Prolong War And Kill More American Military - Proof: The Vietnam War Read some history at:
Anti-War Protestors Prolong War And Kill More American Military - Proof: The Vietnam War

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 08:24 AM

328 posts, read 1,031,452 times
Default Protesters......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Anti-War Protestors Prolong War And Kill More American Military - Proof: The Vietnam War Read some history at:
Anti-War Protestors Prolong War And Kill More American Military - Proof: The Vietnam War

What do you think?
I really wish that I could blame protesters for an increase in American soldiers' death but I can't....I will say that their activities while well intentioned certainly don't help the fighting Men and Women in harm's way......Now prolonging war......If I am an opponent and see that the citizenry of a nation is not behind its military forces I might feel more motivated to continue fighting.....Look at Viet Nam.....The VC and NVA gained encouragement by the widespread protest of that War. I remember as a Viet Nam veteran that as the level of protest hit the airwaves the more bold were the VC and NVA...also the intensity of the attacks increased. The only time it lessened was when President Nixon stepped up the bombing of the North...The North Vietnamese chain of command was getting a little nervous because the President was ordering the bombing to include their "Safe Homes." Nixon was a good wartime president by the way.
I remember how it used to tick me off because for better or worse I was there and the protesters were not...They had no idea what it was like...The only protester I can respect is a Vet who was there...That Vet can sound off.
The rest? I can't print it here.

Protesters are within their rights to oppose anything here in America....This is one of our Nation's strengths....... Just remember that this activity does embolden those who would kill our sons and daughters.
Spiritwalker

Old 09-04-2007, 09:12 AM

68,271 posts, read 54,010,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post

What do you think?

I think American leadership failed the country by getting us involved in Vietnam in the first place. THAT is the reason Americans died in Vietnam.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:26 AM

13,562 posts, read 21,313,546 times
I think most Americans have learned to protest government policy while not place blame on troops if it involves military use.

If I saw some guy on the street saying Iragi insurgents are the honorable courageous ones while knocking down our troops I might be inclined to give that guy a knuckle sandwich.

I have voiced dissent over Iraq,I know our military folk are standup people though and while they are over there I hope they grease as many insurgents as possible to protect themselves.

I know many in service want to fullfill the mission,I think it already has been in the sense we removed Sadam.Unfortunately the Bush admin did poor planning on the occupation segment of the plan.

It's good when Bush flies there and visits the troops,but ultimately the Iraqis need to take charge for themselves,I think the time is now.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:50 AM

415 posts, read 1,956,059 times
For all of those who would say "We support the troops, not the war", I'd rather you just say thank you, and then keep your darn mouth shut. How do you think it feels to be thousands of miles from home and hear "We don't agree with what you're doing", as that's the real message being sent? The article has it right, at least regarding that war.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:06 AM

13,562 posts, read 21,313,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsgoof View Post
For all of those who would say "We support the troops, not the war", I'd rather you just say thank you, and then keep your darn mouth shut. How do you think it feels to be thousands of miles from home and hear "We don't agree with what you're doing", as that's the real message being sent? The article has it right, at least regarding that war.
I can understand that thought,maybe you are right.As a American who does love this country though I feel it is right to state my thoughts,ultimately right or wrong the everyday people are the ones that must determine the course of this country,and if they think that policy is wrong then it will be changed.

While military folk answer to the president,the president must answer to the people.It truely hurts to think that military folk might think of me as a bad guy by not supporting a situation they have no control over and are risking their lives over,but to not raise my concerns over government policy I might think as wrong I'd be neglecting what I think is my obligation.

I believe in "my country right or wrong"...but I do not subscribe to "my government right or wrong" and there is a big difference between the two.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:32 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,100,642 times
Well stated, lionking.

"If liberty and equality, as is thought by some are chiefly to be found in democracy, they will be best attained when all persons alike share in the government to the utmost." Aristotle

Old 09-04-2007, 12:57 PM

415 posts, read 1,956,059 times
LionKing,
I respect your point of view. I'm glad you can also understand mine. I don't think either are right or wrong, just different.
Yes, the government should be held accountable for their actions. The actions of the populous, however, should not go so far as to undermine the efforts of those who seek to preserve those freedoms. There is a "middle ground" out there, I'm sure. I look forward to having an elected government in place who can reach that middle ground.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:10 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,107,908 times
Let’s say a mayor proposes building another bridge in his city. Some folks might find it beneficial and some might not. In fact some might have points as to why the bridge is not needed and may have a negative impact etc etc. Whatever their reasons might be, they are against building this structure.

Does that make them anti-engineer and construction worker?

Come on people grow up. Debates on war and the like, are policy discussions and therefore it is the motives, decision making, and competence of the leaders that are in question, not the troops. People really need to grow up.

Quote:

How do think it feels to be thousands of miles from home and hear –insert administration policy lie here-

That is unacceptable. Don’t blame war critics for any of this. It is purely the ones who put the troops where they are that are to blame. Blaming critics is a slimey age old method of silencing the critics so that the misguided policies can continue (while more troops die for the incompetent, corrupt leaders).

Old 09-04-2007, 01:52 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,361,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsgoof View Post
I'd rather you just say thank you, and then keep your darn mouth shut.
So you’d rather hear “guess what, length of deployment has increased, suicide rate is up, PTSD is up, VA care isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, still a lot of troops continued to be killed in action, so just stay tight and risk death to “spread” democracy to a splintered country that we actually know nothing about because we only know how to use the military and not diplomacy to solve complex issues. So sit tight and we’ll let you know if we, the never served in battled leaders, will come up with another “justification” for you to be there until our administration is out of office.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies