Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:21 AM

11 posts, read 9,768 times

Advertisements

The forthcoming election of president in Russia scheduled for March 4, 2012 is already illegitimate. Why? Candidates from parliamentary parties and self-nominee candidates are set in unequal conditions in violation of Constitution. If you are a self-nominee you are to collect 2 million signatures of votes in you support, in......20 days! That is the price of registration you as a candidate. Sounds unrealistic, and it is actually so! That is how unwanted candidates are being sorted out from the election. Or maybe not all of them, if you are an oligarch, like Michael Prokhorov, and have enough money to fabricate those signatures, you are welcome to continue in the election race.

2 000 000 signatures or dollars. What will make you a president? - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 02:38 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyagreen View Post
If you are a self-nominee you are to collect 2 million signatures of votes in you support, in......20 days! 2 000 000 signatures or dollars. What will make you a president? - YouTube[/url]
Hell .. Give just give a Liberal Democrat an hour!
(No Problem!)

Old 02-01-2012, 03:08 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
I don't know about the 20 days, but an independent candidate in this country is required to collect a certain number of signatures before being allowed on the ballot in most states here. For another party, there are still requirements which must be met, including a party of organization of some kind. Some states require a new party to have a convention and elect delegates before appearing on the ballot. There are a lot of hoops to jump through here too, just as in Russia. Just ask Ross Perot how difficult it is.

The objective, of course, is to do two things:

1. Prevent our ballots from becoming loaded with candidates who have no intention or very little prospect of winning. If anybody could get on the ballot, either of the two major parties would put up straw candidates as independents to siphon off votes from the opposition. Also, the more candidates, the less likely one would receive a majority of the votes, necessitating a run-off election.

2. Preserve the power of the two major parties. Remember who wrote those rules into law in the first place.

It's also instructive to note that we do not have national elections here. We have 50 state elections and even the one single, national officer we elect (the President) must meet the criteria set by all 50 states to appear on the ballot in all states. He is not elected by all The People of the United States, but by The People of the 50 states.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I don't know about the 20 days, but an independent candidate in this country is required to collect a certain number of signatures before being allowed on the ballot in most states here. For another party, there are still requirements which must be met, including a party of organization of some kind. Some states require a new party to have a convention and elect delegates before appearing on the ballot. There are a lot of hoops to jump through here too, just as in Russia. Just ask Ross Perot how difficult it is.

The objective, of course, is to do two things:

1. Prevent our ballots from becoming loaded with candidates who have no intention or very little prospect of winning. If anybody could get on the ballot, either of the two major parties would put up straw candidates as independents to siphon off votes from the opposition. Also, the more candidates, the less likely one would receive a majority of the votes, necessitating a run-off election.

2. Preserve the power of the two major parties. Remember who wrote those rules into law in the first place.

It's also instructive to note that we do not have national elections here. We have 50 state elections and even the one single, national officer we elect (the President) must meet the criteria set by all 50 states to appear on the ballot in all states. He is not elected by all The People of the United States, but by The People of the 50 states.
I'm jealous!

How can one write such a d@mn fine post like yours .. at THIS time of the morning!?

Kudos and a rep coming your way!

Old 02-01-2012, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
I'm jealous!

How can one write such a d@mn fine post like yours .. at THIS time of the morning!?

Kudos and a rep coming your way!
Thank you.

As for this time of the morning? This isn't uncommon for me. Like a lot of old men, I usually get up in the middle of the night.

If the world knew how many old timers are up in the pitch darkness, walking around the house with a pistol in their pockets, they'd be scared to death.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:27 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,972 times
In the USSA, $2m will buy you 3 votes via Acorn.

Who gives a **** about Russia anyway?

Now, $550m here and there will buy plenty of votes, and you get a real $$$$ return on that 'investment' even though it failed in the business world.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Thank you.

As for this time of the morning? This isn't uncommon for me. Like a lot of old men, I usually get up in the middle of the night.

If the world knew how many old timers are up in the pitch darkness, walking around the house with a pistol in their pockets, they'd be scared to death.
Count me as one of those 'old men' with nothing better to do at this time of the morning too!

(Somebody has to keep the youngins in line)

Old 02-01-2012, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Count me as one of those 'old men' with nothing better to do at this time of the morning too!

(Somebody has to keep the youngins in line)
Got a pistol in your pocket too?

Old 02-01-2012, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
In the USSA, $2m will buy you 3 votes via Acorn.

Who gives a **** about Russia anyway?

Now, $550m here and there will buy plenty of votes, and you get a real $$$$ return on that 'investment' even though it failed in the business world.
So, money buys votes here? How much do you get for yours? What's the going rate?

See...I really don't know because nobody has ever bought mine. Please help me out here. I'd hate to sell mine too cheaply.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Got a pistol in your pocket too?
If I told you that .. There'd be no surprise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies