Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:57 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times

Advertisements

You said the union needs to provide the trained teachers or something along those lines. Last I knew colleges do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 10:00 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
You don't get it.
He's using these six contractual liabilities (we can't really call them teachers once they've been deemed unfit to teach, can we?) to point out the absurdity of the system in place, and of which these six cases are one extreme, but not the only, problem. He's upset about the system, the contract, and the blind refusal of some to recognize the problem, agree that it needs to be corrected and work on correcting it.
It's not just six, try seven hundred (and that was back in 2009)

New York Teachers Paid To Do Nothing: 700 Of Them

Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
The thread title is a little much don't you think. The violation of children should not be turned into a Political statement.
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 AM

So now your whining about 700 teachers doing nothing in NY?? I suggest you just don't move there. LOL

Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
The thread title is a little much don't you think. The violation of children should not be turned into a Political statement.
The heck it shouldn't. Because the issue here isn't the man in question, but rather a system that is so ossified, so shackled by rules, that nothing of common sense can be done. It's a convenient metaphor for the larger problems in our educational establishment. The funding is perfectly sufficient. In fact, the United States spends a larger percentage of its GDP on education than any other industrialized nation. However, the intrinsic waste on crap like this is a chief reason why schools don't perform.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:06 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
You don't get it.
He's using these six contractual liabilities (we can't really call them teachers once they've been deemed unfit to teach, can we?) to point out the absurdity of the system in place, and of which these six cases are one extreme, but not the only, problem. He's upset about the system, the contract, and the blind refusal of some to recognize the problem, agree that it needs to be corrected and work on correcting it.

Oh, I get it.

NYC has done a p*ss poor job of managing its schools for decades now. And CD posters who've never been to NYC are upset about it. They should vow to never live there and pay those taxes.

Chances are, they have some tax liabilities a lot closer to home that they're overlooking so they can point their fingers at New York.

That's what I get and you don't.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:07 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You said the union needs to provide the trained teachers or something along those lines. Last I knew colleges do that.
Okay, let me try and explain this very slowly because I thought this was a really simple concept.

I said Unions employ experienced, educated, and talented professionals to do jobs like contract negotiation. Members know they need to provide the funds in order to do so in order for them all to benefit, and the members willing pay the dues in order to do that.

If that doesn't make any sense either I am sure there are remedial English classes taught at a local community college. Be sure to see if they are unionized so they don't offend you as well.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:08 AM

98 posts, read 81,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That's Union-Speak for - they want to place our own dues-paying cronie hack in the position that has been properly brainwashed.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:08 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The heck it shouldn't. Because the issue here isn't the man in question, but rather a system that is so ossified, so shackled by rules, that nothing of common sense can be done. It's a convenient metaphor for the larger problems in our educational establishment. .
What you call a metaphor others call trolling and flaming. The title is way over the top.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The heck it shouldn't. Because the issue here isn't the man in question, but rather a system that is so ossified, so shackled by rules, that nothing of common sense can be done. It's a convenient metaphor for the larger problems in our educational establishment. The funding is perfectly sufficient. In fact, the United States spends a larger percentage of its GDP on education than any other industrialized nation. However, the intrinsic waste on crap like this is a chief reason why schools don't perform.
"nothing of common sense can be done"

That pretty much sums up what has become of the Dept of ed since the unions have taken over. This teacher should simply have been investigated and if any wrong taken place then fired. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies