Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,211,452 times

Advertisements

I've never quite understood this. For every complain about the cops union, which is extremely rare, I see 10 complaints about the teachers union. Why the selective outrage, they are both public unions and enjoy the same rights and priveledges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 10:18 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,829,566 times
It might have something to do with the extremely poor state of our public education system, most people see it and deal with it on a daily basis.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:22 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,944,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I've never quite understood this. For every complain about the cops union, which is extremely rare, I see 10 complaints about the teachers union. Why the selective outrage, they are both public unions and enjoy the same rights and priveledges.
Because I don't see cops or firefighters accused of molesting a child put in a "rubber room" and protected by the union and paid their salary for years and years until they retire and get their pension. Do firefighters do this? Perhaps you can point out some examples. You already know of one I pointed out on another thread and ran over here to cry about your teachers.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:24 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,061,580 times
Because teachers are uniquely and deeply involved in the lives of every American. But..instead of educational demands, all we hear from teacher's unions are financial demands and protecting worthless teachers. All of this comes at the expense of a solid education, and that pissses people off. All from a group of people who by and large don't even work a full calendar year.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
It might have something to do with the extremely poor state of our public education system, most people see it and deal with it on a daily basis.
So you have no problem with the concept of public unions, it's just teachers you dislike?

Old 02-01-2012, 10:29 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,041,852 times
Quote:
So you have no problem with the concept of public unions, it's just teachers you dislike?
Personally I do have a BIG problem with anyone being paid by taxpayers having a union of any type.
I have yet to see an underpaid public employee although most feel they are and if they are indeed underpaid,they should move to the private sector and join a union if they so desire.

JMO

Old 02-01-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Personally I do have a BIG problem with anyone being paid by taxpayers having a union of any type.
I have yet to see an underpaid public employee although most feel they are and if they are indeed underpaid,they should move to the private sector and join a union if they so desire.

JMO
Does this apply to cops and firefighters union. I rarely see anyone take up issue with the cops union.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Because teachers are uniquely and deeply involved in the lives of every American .
So public teachers are involved of the lives of every American?? What about childless people, or people who have kids in private schools? I think cops are as much involved in the lives of Americans than public school teachers are.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:32 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,061,580 times
Quote:
Does this apply to cops and firefighters union. I rarely see anyone take up issue with the cops union.
I'd rank firefighters' unions the least egregious. Cop unions are notorious for protecting their own, which I find to be antithetical to the role of a police officer.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:33 AM

799 posts, read 1,440,571 times
I don't have a problem with any of the unions but I don't really care for their members. It makes me angry knowing that public education has let so many of us down while demanding more money. We trust and respect teachers because they are helping us raise the next generations. When they fail to take real steps toward education reform it shows us that many of them really don't have a problem with how poorly our public education system is performing compared to other developed nations. They seem more concerned with money and job security than the quality of education that is provided to our children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies