Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 04:20 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,690,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I think I know enough lower income people to tell you that alphamale is right when he says it doesn't take much to feed a family. That is true if you do it right. If you exclude McDonalds and eating out, buy economically, and actually cook your own meals and don't buy premade, it is more than possible. I know because I have been low income before and done it. And I did it without food stamps or food banks, free lunches and any of that. Those that I know that claim to be struggling don't want to do this. It is about choices.

Correct! I've been there and had to make those choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 04:35 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,094,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
what exactly was your low income? And where?
Where and how much doesn't matter. It was years ago when we were starting out and the kids were little. There just wasn't a lot of money and we absolutely needed every cent that came in, but we always had plenty to eat because we made it a priority. Other things had to wait until we could afford them.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:51 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,096,034 times
Default Are the poor poor becuase the rich are rich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
You are angry because you have to take a **** test when you work?
This assumption is wrong like most of your other assumptions, I'm not angry and I don't work.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:55 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
no the rich do not make the poor poor
if u r willing to work here u can have a life, not true of other countries
been there done that.
when i tried to help the poor, i realized (after first getting into trouble ) that
they were utterly unwilling to do what i did to stop being poor. even the suggestion was offensive.
i dont know why they are like that but this i know ----- they are terrified absolutely terrified of success and will deliberately sabatoge their own progress.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:38 PM

835 posts, read 1,038,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
This assumption is wrong like most of your other assumptions, I'm not angry and I don't work.

I'm not assuming. I'm making an educated guess with the information I'm given.

Explain what that means then?

Old 02-02-2012, 09:45 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,603,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Pure bullsqueeze.

The poor are mostly poor because for generations, they've lacked ambition and have refused to take advantage of the free education that is there for the taking. Instead they are more than willing to suck up anything they can get for free from the government.

Ignorance will never be very profitable.

Opportunity exists in this country for those who are willing to work for it.
Not everybody can be a doctor, or broker, or lawyer etc. someone has to work at Mcdonald's, someone has to be the janitor.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 PM

3,010 posts, read 2,263,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
The last time I checked we all have 24 hours in a day. Poor people have the same amount of time to do what they are going to do as anyone else. The difference is in what they do with their time. Whose fault can it possibly be if poor people remain poor simply because they do not have the desire to do what is necessary to achieve more? In your mind you could blame it on the weather, or the clouds in the sky, or the wind that blows, it would make as much sense as trying to blame it on someone other than the person himself that is not willing to get ahead. You might be the hardest worker but if you are dumb as a post you still will not get ahead because you will not make the best use of what you have. Is this beginning to sound familiar to you?

So how are the poor working 2 jobs and many taking care of kids gonna have time to go to school? Where are they gonna get the money if all their money is going to rent, food, car etc? Keep up with your delusional ideas though that if everyone tried and worked hard no one would be poor.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:50 PM

3,010 posts, read 2,263,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Some folks are poor because they get stuck in a self-imposed rut, where they either don't think they can do any better, or they are too afraid or too lazy to try. I know this from first hand experience with friends and relatives.
True and others just do not have the mental capacity then to do more then basic tasks. No one is saying they need to be payed a lot of money but there is no reason for them to not have enough to live on.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:59 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,522,864 times
No, the poor are not poor because the rich, are rich.

The fat are not fat because the slim folks are slim, etc. etc.

We really are all responsible for our own conditions in life. Unbelievable how many folks think otherwise.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:04 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
So how are the poor working 2 jobs and many taking care of kids gonna have time to go to school? Where are they gonna get the money if all their money is going to rent, food, car etc? Keep up with your delusional ideas though that if everyone tried and worked hard no one would be poor.
having kids yes that a big big issue.
that takes your own life, which is not yet developed--- off line. (at least for a few years)
but after, if u r on your own u can work and go to school live in a small place move on up. been there done that.
"but i must live for my kids always its my life" is often the angry response when this suggestion is made to welfare recipients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies