Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 12:34 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Good question, and here is your answer: the young.

I worked at a bottling company when I was in school, loading trucks. The general manager had started as a truck driver. The operations manager had started as a truck loader. The maintenance manager had started as a gopher in the shop. They were all young when they started. The highest and best use of their time were those low end jobs.

When they learned how to show up for work, take ownership of problems and solve them, learned about the company and its operations, got more education, developed skills, attitudes, habits and knowledge that enabled them to be of more value to the enterprise, their position and pay went up accordingly.

You would have made a mistake to think of me as a life-long truck loader, then you would have made a mistake to think of me as a life-long forklift driver, then you would have made a mistake to think of me as a life-long salesman. I was all those things, but they only lasted until my skills, knowledge, habits and attitudes provided me with better and more valuable uses of my time. It's called progress, and you would do well to believe that your fellow man is capable of it.
The young are going to school and if they work it is part time and many jobs need full time workers. Not everyone can work there way up to be a boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 12:37 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
As I stated.....the truth is self evident.

If you are in perpetual poverty, YOU choose that.

My father worked two jobs most of his life to get out of poverty. He retired solidly middle class.
Once again you are proving anything you are just stating your opinion and passing it as a fact. Who would choose poverty all this shows is you have no idea what being poverty is like. So you choose who your parents are or how intelligent you are all things that contribute to poverty.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:38 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It doesn't. Not in the least. To hear liberals talk, you'd think there's a finite number of dollars floating around and the rich people have monopolized those dollars.

Equality of Opportunity....we can all support it. What we (I) can't support is Equality of Outcome, as if the money i've earned through blood, sweat, and tears should be handed to those who aren't successful. It's Un-American.
Would it help if the government abolished welfare and turned it over to private charities to worry about, or then would you start griping about charities handing checks over to deadbeats?

Old 02-11-2012, 03:46 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Oh, its "grammar" not "grammer" and spelling isn't grammar.

I feel that in an online discussion, the only thing that people see and can judge you on is your words. If one can't spell or doesn't know the difference between "there," "their" or "they're," or doesn't take the effort to spell-check the post, it rightfully detracts from one's credibility, as it calls in question the poster's thinking process and education. Pointing out these errors does the community a service.

Being a member of the grammar/spelling police is a dirty job, but someone's got to do it -- besides, it's worth it just to p i s s you off.

I counted at least of your posts subsequent to this where you spelled words wrong, had the wrong word, had a subject/verb agreement mismatch, or had the tense wrong, or some other minor grammatical error. It was a dirty job searching and reading everyone of your posts, but someone had to do it.

I can tell you are passionate - I admire that. But the petty stuff just ruins your argument and the experience. Argue from the heart, on the issue.

When you are writing your dissertation (its PhD, not phd, by the way) you can worry about the spelling and grammar. I'm just an old guy killing time and having fun. Spelling errors and grammar errors will happen. Overall, you write fairly well. But unless you are willing to proofread everyone of your posts before hitting the send key, I'd avoid any further posts like the one you made above. Mr. Karma has been the great equalizer for centuries, and he's always on the job. I am an expert technical writer when needed. I've published a paper or two, and have recently decided to write a textbook now that I am bored. When it's done, and if it gets published, I'll send you a signed copy.

There is probably some rule against me going back and quoting every mistake you made. I'll spare you. I hope this one didn't break any rule either. Have fun and stay passionate.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:48 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Exactly how does ones wealth have anything to do with another being poor?
It doesn't. But that doesn't stop me from believing that wealth needs to be shared in order to have a healthy society.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:19 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
So all the working poor are lazy? Look at this then especially at the chart that shows the U.S. has more working poor then non working and more then other countries.

"All" is your term. Not mine.

Most do not work full time. The stats support this fact.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:34 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
What's that you say? What is that Universal Service Fund Fee on your cell phone bill?

That's you paying for "free" land lines, cell phones and broadband internet services.

Quote:
For states that rely solely on the federal Lifeline and Link Up program eligibility criteria, subscribers must either have an income that is at or below 135% of the federal Poverty Guidelines or participate in one of the following assistance programs:
  • Medicaid,
  • Food Stamps,
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI),
  • Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8),
  • Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP),
  • Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), or
  • The National School Lunch Program’s Free Lunch Program.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:39 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Exactly how does ones wealth have anything to do with another being poor?
If everyone was rich, then no one would work, and the nation would fall apart.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:54 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If everyone was rich, then no one would work, and the nation would fall apart.
Yes, because rich people don't work at all. All they do is sit around any buy things and drink and fondle women and little children.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:48 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Yes, because rich people don't work at all. All they do is sit around any buy things and drink and fondle women and little children.

You missed the point completely. If everyone in US received ten million today, do you think people would still continue to work in manufacturing and service sectors? No, they would not, and the country would stop producing anything, and the society would fall apart. We need the working class. It is as simple as that.

Have you seen movie In Time? It explains why everyone simply cannot be rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies