Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:37 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Good. Our pussyassed Government no longer knows how to fight wars and win.

Just call it Taliban Liberation Day. They ought to make it on July 4th so we can celebrate it together.
That's a helluva good idea. Saaaay, how bout we send them aks like we did the mexican drug lords. Just our little way of saying, no hard feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 08:06 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Good. Our pussyassed Government no longer knows how to fight wars and win.
I take a view different from you. I dont look upon war and the slaughter of our soldiers as some sort of game. Win! Win! Win! What's to win?

President Bush screwed up regarding Afghanistan. We've been there far too long. And for what reason?

I trust the judgment of the military leaders and leaders of other nations together with ours ... it's time to get out. Wind-down. Leave. Let 'em kill oneanother without killing ours. It's their destiny. The Afghans.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:19 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I take a view different from you. I dont look upon war and the slaughter of our soldiers as some sort of game. Win! Win! Win! What's to win?

President Bush screwed up regarding Afghanistan. We've been there far too long. And for what reason?

I trust the judgment of the military leaders and leaders of other nations together with ours ... it's time to get out. Wind-down. Leave. Let 'em kill oneanother without killing ours. It's their destiny. The Afghans.
Al Queda and Bin Laden got crushed and scattered to the winds. It set a decent precedent for our reaction to a major terrorist attack on our soil.

Pakistan IMO has really screwed the pooch with their duplicity. Suffice to say that India is going to get a lot more consideration from the US when conflict continues.

P.S. Always ironic watching people get their panties in a wad over iran, Palestine, israel etc. and not knowing what's been going on between Pak-India for decades.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:12 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

Yes you do look at War as a game.

What is the purpose of soldiers and war? To smash things and kill people.

If your not willing to do that then you don't go to WAR!!!

The only thing president bush did wrong was not slaughtering even]ry Taliban soldier in sight and sticking their cut off heads on poles outside each city.

This is the 21st century. If we had the will the Afghanistan debacle would have been over in 12 months.

BTW we agree on getting out just for different reasons.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 02-02-2012 at 02:33 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 02:24 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
No chance to win in Afghanistan. No country in history has ever conquered Afghanistan starting with Alexander the Great. It's not even a country. Just a bunch of tribes they descend into anarchy every few years.
I think Ghenghis Khan once occupied Afghanistan but then again, I think he slaughtered almost every last one of them.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:25 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Oh no! McCain is going to hit the ceiling! Saintorium's dream for a 10th Crusade may fizzle.

US to end Afghan combat mission in 2013 – CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs
McCain would still be in Vietnam if he had his way.

We aren't removing troops until late 2013, and we won't do a complete withdraw until 2014.

This is the EXACT same strategy that was done in Iraq.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:40 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
McCain would still be in Vietnam if he had his way.

We aren't removing troops until late 2013, and we won't do a complete withdraw until 2014.

This is the EXACT same strategy that was done in Iraq.
It's the Prez adjusting to the changes due to the successes of the last couple years. Seems to be a shift toward what the VP originally called for. I doubt Obama is under any illusion that Afghanistan will turn into a Western like Democracy. They will have a chance to form what they want, even if it returns to what it was prior to Al Qaeda influence. Their choice.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:42 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It's the Prez adjusting to the changes due to the successes of the last couple years. Seems to be a shift toward what the VP originally called for. I doubt Obama is under any illusion that Afghanistan will turn into a Western like Democracy. They will have a chance to form what they want, even if it returns to what it was prior to Al Qaeda influence. Their choice.
What I don't think people understand is, it doesn't matter if we stayed in Afghanistan for 100 years, you aren't going to make it a democracy that we'd want, even Iraq is liberal to what Afghanistan is going to be.

The best we can do is stabilize the borders and keep good relations with the country (bribes), so that they don't openly harbor terrorists like they were doing pre 2001.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:45 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What I don't think people understand is, it doesn't matter if we stayed in Afghanistan for 100 years, you aren't going to make it a democracy that we'd want, even Iraq is liberal to what Afghanistan is going to be.

The best we can do is stabilize the borders and keep good relations with the country (bribes), so that they don't openly harbor terrorists like they were doing pre 2001.
I agree, it is one of the mistakes I feel Obama made early on. He would have been much better off listening to Biden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies