Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 05:51 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Labor laws can exist without unions--for a while, but unions are also partly responsible for some of the labor laws passed in the first half of the 20th century. Workers' rights didn't just come out of thin air. They had to be fought for and advocated by groups of people--including labor unions, and I believe that in an ideal world, unions act as a check against corporate power and exploitation. Likewise, companies can act as a check against union excesses.
Unfortunately, in many cases the unions have too much power and can really harm their employers (and consequently and ironically put their own jobs in jeopardy).

Even if unions were responsible for some of the labor laws passed in the early 20th century, why does that mean they always have to be responsible for labor laws? Why can't labor laws just be like all other laws? We can vote for lawmakers who will support or oppose the laws we want, we can use the initiative and referendum process if allowed in our state, etc. We can write our representatives, we can form interest groups, etc. You don't need unions with collective bargaining rights to have a voice in the laws.

But, that's beside the point because no one is talking about taking away collective bargaining rights (except of course for those in the public sector in some states).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
But I truly believe in the depths of my soul that if the right of workers to organize and bargain for wages, protection and benefits--which I fear will be crippled by right to work laws--is hindered too much, then all of those rights that were fought for all those years ago will just wither away because there will be nobody to advocate for them.
Has all the doom and gloom happened in the 22 states where right to work laws have existed for over a decade?

No...

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 02-01-2012 at 07:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 06:19 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Geez, have you looked worker pay and benefits lately?

What's your solution? Vote for more GOP, wreck union power, and lessen regulation on those poor Billionaires?
The workers are free to pay union dues should they want to. Why are you so anti-choice? And, last I checked, I earn a very good living without a union to "protect" me.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:25 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

Has all the doom and gloom happened in the 22 states where right to work laws have existed for over a decade?

No...

Some disagree.

New Hampshire rejected right to work when 41 Republican legislators concluded that the policy would harm rather than help their state

In Oklahoma, after being promised by those pushing the law, that new companies and jobs would increase ten-fold, in the 10 years since the law was passed, the number of new companies entering the state decreased, the number of manufacturing jobs in the state decreased by 1/3.

Working hard to make Indiana look bad: The tortured, uphill case for ‘right-to-work’ | Economic Policy Institute

Last edited by plannine; 02-01-2012 at 06:36 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 07:01 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Some disagree.

New Hampshire rejected right to work when 41 Republican legislators concluded that the policy would harm rather than help their state

In Oklahoma, after being promised by those pushing the law, that new companies and jobs would increase ten-fold, in the 10 years since the law was passed, the number of new companies entering the state decreased, the number of manufacturing jobs in the state decreased by 1/3.

Working hard to make Indiana look bad: The tortured, uphill case for ‘right-to-work’ | Economic Policy Institute
I guess plenty of Indiana unionized workers have so long abhorred the union having the right to take money out of all of their paychecks, that they will now be all to glad now to become free loaders and eventually starve out the union until they are rid of it.

Now Indiana will be more attractive for companies on the outside to come in with low paying jobs, since getting a new union established is harder under right to work. But I reckon a lot of people in Indiana think that is a heck of a lot better than no jobs coming in.

If it wasn't for the energy energy prospering, Oklahoma would be a lot worse place under right to work.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:13 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
The workers are free to pay union dues should they want to. Why are you so anti-choice? And, last I checked, I earn a very good living without a union to "protect" me.

There can't be a choice. What kind of a company is going to let one guy make $40 per hour and a new guy come in who want's to be management someday and work for $18 per hour. How is that ever going to work?

You have ruined the union by allowing "choice"

Old 02-01-2012, 07:17 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Choice is more impotent than unions. Choice is what this country is all about.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Unfortunately, in many cases the unions have too much power and can really harm their employers (and consequently and ironically put their own jobs in jeopardy).

Even if unions were responsible for some of the labor laws passed in the early 20th century, why does that mean they always have to be responsible for labor laws? Why can't labor laws just be like all other laws? We can vote for lawmakers who will support or oppose the laws we want, we can use the initiative and referendum process if allowed in our state, etc. We can write our representatives, we can form interest groups, etc. You don't need unions with collective bargaining rights to have a voice in the laws.

But, that's beside the point because no one is talking about taking away collective bargaining rights (except of course for those in the public sector in some states).

No...
Because human beings are inherently corrupt and greedy. If you put a few people in charge of workers they will take advantage of them eventually. Unions make sure the employees are treated fairly and negotiate as one so no one can play favorites.

I think office workers should look very hard at going union, the most abused people in this country IMO.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:19 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
There can't be a choice. What kind of a company is going to let one guy make $40 per hour and a new guy come in who want's to be management someday and work for $18 per hour. How is that ever going to work?

If the union needs people to be forced into being members, then perhaps it doesn't belong. If the union were doing so much to help the workers, why would the workers not choose to join the union?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Choice is more impotent than unions. Choice is what this country is all about.
What I meant to say is either it's a union shop or not. That's all. You can't mix.

If you don't want to be union, there are plenty of non-union shops around to work at.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:20 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
I think office workers should look very hard at going union, the most abused people in this country IMO.
LOL? That's amusing. I have been an "office worker" and never felt "abused" by any stretch of the imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies