Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 07:58 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
In my experience I have never seen anyone forced into being a union worker.
Look at every public school teacher in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Look at every public school teacher in NJ.
What do you mean? Are NJ teachers required to give money to a union, whether they wish to become union member, or not?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
What do you mean? Are NJ teachers required to give money to a union, whether they wish to become union member, or not?
Yes, they absolutely are. Public school teachers can either join the union and pay the union dues, or NOT join the union and pay 85% of the union dues. If thtey don't do one of those two, then they can't be a teacher in a public school in NJ.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Because human beings are inherently corrupt and greedy. If you put a few people in charge of workers they will take advantage of them eventually. Unions make sure the employees are treated fairly and negotiate as one so no one can play favorites.

I think office workers should look very hard at going union, the most abused people in this country IMO.
Wouldn't that also describe the union bosses ?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:29 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wouldn't that also describe the union bosses ?
Yes, I think that is possible. We had a business agent that I didn't trust at all. Kind of a glad-handing type who I'm pretty sure was dealing under the table with the company.

The damage he did was minimal however and overall the union has done a great job for us. Now we have a guy who is great. He spent 20 years as a lineman and was very respected by all.

But I agree in principle with what you said.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:43 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
FOX watching, poor white trash all across the country celebrate another step toward the extinction of the middle class

Old 02-01-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
FOX watching, poor white trash all across the country celebrate another step toward the extinction of the middle class
I'd like to hear an explanation. What about this bothers you? What is so terrible about making union membership a choice instead of a requirement?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I'd like to hear an explanation. What about this bothers you? What is so terrible about making union membership a choice instead of a requirement?
It hasn't got a thing to do with "choice", if you believe that, you are terribly naive.

It is about hindering the ability of unions to organize, to bargain, and to retain membership. It is also about restricting the ability of blue collar workers to petition and organize for fair wages.

But you go on and believe what FOX is telling you, I could care less what you think.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
It hasn't got a thing to do with "choice", if you believe that, you are terribly naive.

It is about hindering the ability of unions to organize, to bargain, and to retain membership. It is also about restricting the ability of blue collar workers to petition and organize for fair wages.

But you go on and believe what FOX is telling you, I could care less what you think.
Of course it's about choice. Under the new law, workers will have the CHOICE to join the union or not. Before that law, workers did not have a choice; they were REQUIRED to join the union. This law does not deny anyone the right to petition or to organize. It simply removes the requirement they do so. Why does that bother you?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
And with all due respect, if things keep going the way they're going, those "resonable labor laws" and balance between labor and employers will be swept aside, and die away. I'm not really a union guy, and I understand why people support right to work, but I do understand that they have played an important role in the rise of the middle class and giving workers some kind of dignity. I also believe that the only motivation that Indiana Republicans have behind this is to cripple a political foe.

It's already been "swept away", the end goal (and believe me, the people like those on this thread commenting will be huge supporters) is to make the U.S. a Third World country with sweatshop labor. You can bet promises of "bringing jobs back to America!" will be framed in red, white and blue and the sheeple will think these corporations are the greatest thing since Ronald Reagan.

Wages will comparable with Asian sweatshops, items can be manufactured here instead of abroad (provided they can find enough desperate people to work for peanuts, and the economic conditions of today show they will likely be able to) and workers will officially be disposable.

Injured on the job? You're fired. Hope things work out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies