Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:27 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I really hope you are joking and you aren't that confused about the facts.

You earn $17. You pay tax and have $10 left (using your numbers). You buy stock with that $10. That $10 worth of stock does well and is worth $25 when you cash it out. You pay capital gains on $15, because you gained $15. You already had $10, so it is not counted as a capital gain, only the $15 the stock went up is counted as a capital gain. Therefore, you pay taxes on the capital gain of $15. You pay NOTHING on the original $10 when you get it back.
You are correct regarding the original $10 if it was earned through wages. I am wrong.
But, if my corporation paid me the $17 in dividends, I pay tax on that even though my corporation paid corporate tax on that first.
And when I spend the money that was taxed twice I pay sales tax on the purchase. If I resell the item (like a used car) the buyer pays tax on it again. The money I receive then gets taxed again when I die. That is quadruple taxation plus the car buyers taxation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 09:34 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Funny how all the wealthy are job creators and this tax will supposedly make them hire less when it is their personal tax rate not their business tax rate.

Actual job creators dont hire just because they get a tax reduction for their personal income taxes they almost always hire for 1 of 2 reasons.
1) Said employee will increase profit
2) Said employee will do a job the (owner/ manager) (does not want/ does not have time) to do.
Many small business owners file under Subchapter S, and their personal is their business tax.

A lot of small business owners quit because of high taxes, onerous regulations and government imposed mandates, that make running their business impossible. I think sometimes it's because of unintended consequences from poorly written laws and regulations. Other times I think it comes from big business working with government to drive out their smaller competitors.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:36 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
You are correct regarding the original $10 if it was earned through wages. I am wrong.
But, if my corporation paid me the $17 in dividends, I pay tax on that even though my corporation paid corporate tax on that first.
And when I spend the money that was taxed twice I pay sales tax on the purchase. If I resell the item (like a used car) the buyer pays tax on it again. The money I receive then gets taxed again when I die. That is quadruple taxation plus the car buyers taxation!
...and the icing on the cake is that Cash-for-clunkers artificially increased the price of that used car. Isn't government great?!?

Old 02-02-2012, 10:03 AM

152 posts, read 186,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Many small business owners file under Subchapter S, and their personal is their business tax.

A lot of small business owners quit because of high taxes, onerous regulations and government imposed mandates, that make running their business impossible. I think sometimes it's because of unintended consequences from poorly written laws and regulations. Other times I think it comes from big business working with government to drive out their smaller competitors.
This sounds more like an opinion than anything substantive. I've yet to see any research supporting these kinds of claims.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:04 AM

152 posts, read 186,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
...and the icing on the cake is that Cash-for-clunkers artificially increased the price of that used car. Isn't government great?!?
According to who???

Old 02-02-2012, 10:41 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Default Who's sick and tired of hearing the phrase JOB CREATORS

It's getting old real fast. Did they ship themselves overseas.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:42 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
You do know that the middle class got a higher percentage tax decrease than the rich from the Bush tax cuts.
Nope, and neither did they. BTW in what income bracket do you consider "middle class"?

Old 02-02-2012, 10:47 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Can someone please answer this question, the bush tax cuts have been around for some time now so why does'nt the "job creator" create? Why don't we have better employment numbers? The cuts were around before the current president was elected so why are you blaming him for not going along with this failed policy?

Old 02-02-2012, 10:51 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
"job creators".....right wing slang for those making over $250K per year.

Right wingers ONLY have sympathy for the rich an hate workers trying to earn a living.

when are voters white voters going to wake up?
Seriously, just because someone makes alot of money doesn't mean they are creating jobs! Especially in high finance, the playas need to be seen as public enemy #1.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Can someone please answer this question, the bush tax cuts have been around for some time now so why does'nt the "job creator" create? Why don't we have better employment numbers? The cuts were around before the current president was elected so why are you blaming him for not going along with this failed policy?
The Bush cuts were put in place to get more spending into the economy, not more jobs. Who gave you the idea that the Bush cuts were to create jobs ?
When they became the Obama cuts ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies