Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 03:39 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times

Advertisements

Nigel Farage: Whatever happened to the veto? - YouTube

nigel farage explains it succinctly, as governments force people to give up their rights and autonomy-as big government overwhelms the european "union".

it isn't an accident that the people are left out of the equation.

if i criticize the poor for anything, it is for being so willing to buy a lie due to their dependence-not for being poor.

americans will miss their freedom when it is gone.

Last edited by floridasandy; 02-03-2012 at 03:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 05:16 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i dont bash the poor, but rather point out that they too can become as rich as they want, if they would do the things that rich people do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Yup, they can become as rich as they want. All they have to do is want it.

Tell you what, I'm going to sit here and "want" to fly to mars in a rocket ship, let's see if it works.
You missed the key part of rbohm's post - "do". You just wish for it and expect it the mars mission to be handed to you. Following rbohm's advice you should do well in school, go to college while studying a degree that will get you into the space program (mechanical engineering is a good one), probably spend some time in the Air Force, then apply to NASA or one of the many private space companies.

You may not get to Mars but you pursued your dream. I wanted to be like Nolan Bushnell (founder of Atari since Bill Gates wasn't famous yet) but I didn't quite make it. But I'm closing in on 20 years in the IT world and make a nice living at it.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:44 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
You missed the key part of rbohm's post - "do". You just wish for it and expect it the mars mission to be handed to you. Following rbohm's advice you should do well in school, go to college while studying a degree that will get you into the space program (mechanical engineering is a good one), probably spend some time in the Air Force, then apply to NASA or one of the many private space companies.

You may not get to Mars but you pursued your dream. I wanted to be like Nolan Bushnell (founder of Atari since Bill Gates wasn't famous yet) but I didn't quite make it. But I'm closing in on 20 years in the IT world and make a nice living at it.
good for you.

if the obama administration really wanted to help people, there would be entrepreneurial leadership, small business workshops, and a push for mentoring so people can actually start providing for themselves- which is a lot more satisfying than having the government decide how much you will get and when.

but then again self sufficient people don't need to vote for big intrusive government.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:07 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
@ dreamofmonterey

I don't think that we're the only posters here with similar scenarios to report; that's precisely why the country has been in a tailspin. Romney and Gingrich (and posters here who live in gated communities) don't have a clue regarding how difficult life is for their fellow Americans, even with both partners working, if they can find work. If the Grover Norquist acolytes aren't voted out in 2012, we'll see a total collapse of the middle and upper-middle classes, and the highest level of poverty in our nation's history...and it won't be the fault of President Obama.
I dont live in a gated community. liberal are very good at lying, they wouldn't know the trueth if it hit them in the face!! Iam a fellow American. yes sonmetimes it rough! but no need for government run sociaty! middle class is ask to pay too much taxes. because know that when the president Obama talks about sticking it to the rich. the rich will just pass it dawn to the middle class. because the rich are the ones that are making and selling the products that the middle class buy!!! dont even start talking about price control thats just Obamanism. communism!!

Old 02-04-2012, 03:55 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
No one i know nor myself bash the poor, and those that have come into bad luck, i feel so sorry for them.

I myself donate to many charitable organizations, give to the needy, the chidlren in need, the abused i can go on. My friends who are pretty well off donate time and thousands of dollars to the needs of those less forrtunate. GIVING not only money, but food, clothes, toys, shoes, furniture, and i mean damn good furniture any one would take it.

I think the problem is with those who hold themselves down, and are perfectly acceptable to work, but rather take the easy way out. Do not tell me these people are not out there, i know some.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:27 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Especially when millionaires are getting tax breaks the middle class can't touch? Or when corporations are paying almost NO tax at all while shipping needed jobs overseas? The wealthy and corporate class gets a pass-- but the single mom cleaning hotel rooms -- She's our problem!!

Does the bashing occur because:
A) Conservatives are rotten, heartless people?
B) They follow Christ when it's convenient and ignore his teachings on the poor?
C) It makes them feel "better than..."
D) They are planning for the day when, of course, they two will be super-rich...
E) The very corporations the implicitly protect have manipulated them in to focusing on those least able to defend themselves as a red herring... "Look over there while I pick your pocket."

I think most reasonable liberals like me would agree that welfare fraud needs to eliminated to the degree possible... but those who need the help should receive it...

But to bash the poor and relish it? Disgusting.
Why do conservative bash the poor? I consider myself to be conservative in most issues, but I do not bash the poor. I work in a predominately Hispanic low income community where most kids have different dads and moms depend on the government for help. I'm not saying this is what the community is but from what I experience so far. I do not bash the poor because I am poor myself. Everyday I have come myself to love these kids. Whenever they see me they would hug me and tell me how their day went. Their parents trust me and my other coworkers to love, protect and serve them. I may not always be able to financially support the poor, but I am willing to serve and support them emotionally, mentally and spiritually.

To me, it doesn't matter if you are conservative or liberal. If you bash the poor, IMO you have poor character.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:14 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
No one i know nor myself bash the poor, and those that have come into bad luck, i feel so sorry for them.

I myself donate to many charitable organizations, give to the needy, the chidlren in need, the abused i can go on. My friends who are pretty well off donate time and thousands of dollars to the needs of those less forrtunate. GIVING not only money, but food, clothes, toys, shoes, furniture, and i mean damn good furniture any one would take it.

I think the problem is with those who hold themselves down, and are perfectly acceptable to work, but rather take the easy way out. Do not tell me these people are not out there, i know some.
To be fair, I do know some conservatives who think very little of the poor. "Why should I pay for a damned thing of theirs" is one comment I have heard.

But those lines of thoughts aren't regulated to just conservatives. I have seen very liberal people purposely avoid sections of towns with homeless people, because they don't want to see it.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:33 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post

Good for you. Unfortunately however, I think you're probably a minority among many right wingers--a large minority, but a minority nonetheless.

I think the heart of the matter is this question: what proportion of the poor are 'hard luck" poor or "Lazy Poor".? Conservatives, from what I gather believe that there are virtually no "hard luck" poor people, while Libs believe that they make up the majority of poor folk. I tend to believe the latter, partly because in my experience with working with poor people, almost none of them are fine with it. Most remain that way because they feel trapped in it, but nobody actually wants to be poor.

I just can't look at a poor or homeless person and automatically judge that they got what they deserved. (Even though many do end up poor due to bad choices). I think the majority of conservatives do make that snap judgment and it's very unfortunate because we cannot make those judgments unless we know the person's story first.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:23 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,234,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Especially when millionaires are getting tax breaks the middle class can't touch? Or when corporations are paying almost NO tax at all while shipping needed jobs overseas? The wealthy and corporate class gets a pass-- but the single mom cleaning hotel rooms -- She's our problem!!.
So, am I to assume that you are another leftist liberal who views conservatives paradoxically as both snobby rich elitists and white trailer trash with no education? I mean, what are you talking about? Conservative blue collar white evangelicals probably makeup one of the largest demographics (if not THE largest) in the nation.

Didn't you hear Obama talking about the rural folk who cling to their guns and their religion? Do you think those people live on Wall Street and drive limousines?

Old 02-04-2012, 11:25 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,234,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Good for you. Unfortunately however, I think you're probably a minority among many right wingers--a large minority, but a minority nonetheless.
Wrong. Evangelical Christians are the number one charitable donaters in the nation. Followed closely by observant Catholics and Jews of all stripes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies