Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 02:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
I don't really care what methods they employ ... they can use tarot cards and crystal balls for all I care, so long as the numbers they come up with have a connection with reality.

Setting up a fuel economy test under conditions that do not reflect real world conditions, which produce mileage figures that cannot be realized by consumers, is at least useless, if not a complete fraud.

Some apparently don't consider it a big deal to see a rating of 44 mpg but only get an actual 30 MPG.

I wonder if those people would be so casual about agreeing to pay a $25,000 sale price for that car, only to have the price jacked up to $33,000 after they took the car home? That's the difference between 30 and 44 ... 32%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
I agree with you; the EPA's testing methods are so sterile and so unlike what real-workld driving conditions are so as to be essentially worthless.

But I also have to ask why did this lady stay silent for five years before she filed her preposterous lawsuit?
i also agree that the EPA testing procedure is sterile, and not applicable to the real world, and never have been ever since they were instituted in the 70s. in fact even the EPA says they are not real world numbers, and are just out out there for the sake of comparison rather than to reflect any real world numbers.

if anyone remembers, that issues came up with the mazda RX3. the EPA said it got 11mpg, but in the real world owners were reporting more like 25mpg.

no system for reporting fuel economy is ever going to be accurate. even if you put the cars in a real world test, many things are going to affect what fuel economy numbers are turned by test vehicles, and the manufacturers and the EPA is not going to institute any long term testing to get anything like a real number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 04:06 PM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i also agree that the EPA testing procedure is sterile, and not applicable to the real world, and never have been ever since they were instituted in the 70s. in fact even the EPA says they are not real world numbers, and are just out out there for the sake of comparison rather than to reflect any real world numbers.

if anyone remembers, that issues came up with the mazda RX3. the EPA said it got 11mpg, but in the real world owners were reporting more like 25mpg.

no system for reporting fuel economy is ever going to be accurate. even if you put the cars in a real world test, many things are going to affect what fuel economy numbers are turned by test vehicles, and the manufacturers and the EPA is not going to institute any long term testing to get anything like a real number.
Again ... that's not the point. Of course there are variables in conditions, and driving habits, etc., precluding an "accurate" MPG rating estimate. The point is, under typical conditions and typical driving, an estimate should be far better than + or - 30-50 %. That's not an estimate ... that's not even a good guess!! Read my lips ... it's a fraud, OK?

This utter nonsense about the EPA Est MPG being for "comparison purposes" is also an inane answer to questions about it's purpose, because if it's a useless figure that doesn't reflect real world realities, what good is it to compare dummy numbers with such wide variables? One model might get 15% better mileage, with another getting 25% worse, so what possible assistance could comparing those estimates be? No use whatsoever.

Now, consider that the new cars on the lot have these EPA ratings posted in text larger than any other specification or list or description .... readable from 20 yards away ... it's clearly being "emphasized" .. and you can bet that the majority of people will look at those figures and assume they're valid, and mileage that they should expect to get with that car. And that is one very solid description of a lie ..... doing something to cause someone else to believe something that isn't true. And that is what is happening here.

Now, take your car into the shop ... the mechanic says, ahhh, it's gonna run you around $600 to fix that problem, so you say, OK, go ahead and fix it. Then, when you go to pick up your car, he says, that will be $967.36. You going to say Oh, OKAY ? OR, are you going to say hey bubba, you said it would be "around" $600 .... $967 is not even close to $600. $667.36 might be around $600 ... not $967.36 ... and I'm not paying that much!!

That's the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies