Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should JC Penney dump Ellen DeGeneres because she's gay?
Yes 13 9.29%
No 125 89.29%
Not sure 2 1.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 02:45 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times

Advertisements

I just wrote to J.C. Penney to thank them to standing up to this hate group.

Rational Resistance: More Hate in America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 02:48 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Did you read their statement?

In their eyes, firing Ellen DeGeneres for being gay would be staying "neutral" in the culture wars.

Gotta love it.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:49 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is what it is, and JCP is paying the price for their mistake.
Well, if our poll is any indication, JCP's decision to have Ellen DeGeneres as their spokesperson is NOT a mistake.

However, I think pulling her now would be a HUGE one.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:52 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I enjoy watching Ellen----fun show to watch.

Why should I care if she is gay-----she is a decent person, with a good heart. In this era, we need to judge people by their actions, their body of work, their contributions to society and community, and their committment to caring.

On all those criteria she passes with flying colors----the fact that she is gay doesnt phase me at all. To say that she presents a poor role model to kids is not true. Its a parents responsibility to teach their children that all people do not live the same lifestyle----it is also their duty to teach their children that to judge a person based on what is in his/her heart----not if they are straight or not.

We have got tons of problems that we need to solve in this country----Ellen Degeneres sexual preference is not one of them.
Whether or not she is a good role model is not the point. Did it make business sense to hire her as a spokesperson? That's the question. If she brings in more people than she drives away, then it made sense, but if she drives away more then she brings in, then it was a bad move. It seems that she has unintentionally brought in controversy, which is driving people away, so it was a bad move.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:52 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I just wrote to J.C. Penney to thank them to standing up to this hate group.

Rational Resistance: More Hate in America
I'm planning on doing the same.

(Cool blog, Jack!)

Old 02-04-2012, 02:54 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Well, if our poll is any indication, JCP's decision to have Ellen DeGeneres as their spokesperson is NOT a mistake.

However, I think pulling her now would be a HUGE one.
Pulling her at this point would upset her supporters, and trigger even more controversy, so there is no good way out for them. It would have been better to never bring her in.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:57 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Some Christians need to get off their high horse and realize this isn't highschool, you don't need to be "in" to fit in the cool group. Not that they are cool. Lol sorry I work with many dorky ones who are close minded.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:57 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
And now they're attacking Macy's for a catalog that showed a male couple on top of a wedding cake! These people are nuts!

They should rename their group, "One Million Bigots".

Antigay Group in Tizzy Over Two Grooms | News | The Advocate

Old 02-04-2012, 02:59 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I enjoy watching Ellen----fun show to watch.

Why should I care if she is gay-----she is a decent person, with a good heart. In this era, we need to judge people by their actions, their body of work, their contributions to society and community, and their committment to caring.

On all those criteria she passes with flying colors----the fact that she is gay doesnt phase me at all. To say that she presents a poor role model to kids is not true. Its a parents responsibility to teach their children that all people do not live the same lifestyle----it is also their duty to teach their children that to judge a person based on what is in his/her heart----not if they are straight or not.

We have got tons of problems that we need to solve in this country----Ellen Degeneres sexual preference is not one of them. If some people decide not to buy a stores products based on her being gay, I think just as many people or more will continue to buy their products reaffirming that it is the quality and price of their merchandise that will drive sales, and not the fact Ellen is gay.
Well said. A person is supposed to be judged by their character and deeds.

Quote:
Ellen Degeneres is the host of The Ellen Degeneres Show and is by far one of the biggest celebrities known for charitable works. Recently, Ellen Degeneres hosted a charity auction event on eBay that ran from April 14th- May 8th where all the proceeds went to the Humane Society. She auctioned off clothing that she wore on her show and to award shows. The Humane Society is just one of the many charities that Ellen Degeneres has donated time, effort and money too. Some of the other charities that Ellen supports are Jude's Children's Hospital, the Red Cross, Artists Against Racism, The Susan G. Komen Foundation, Clothes Off Our Back, Peace Games, Project Cuddle and many others.

Celebrity charity profile: Ellen Degeneres - National Celebrity Charity | Examiner.com

The collective deeds and character of this fringe group prove them to be most hateful and really unworthy of any recognition .

Old 02-04-2012, 03:30 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,091 times
I don't even see at this point how Ellen would "drive" people away from JCP. As an entertainer, she's about as uncontroversial as any one person could be. There's absolutely nothing offensive about her, and any backlash ended a LONG time ago - witness her hugely popular turn on Finding Nemo, being a judge on American Idol, being a Covergirl, hosting almost every awards show this side of the Oscars, etc. Who comprises her fanbase? Mostly MOMS, and if you ever watch her show (which I really don't - a little too saccharine for my tastes), you quickly see that. Ellen has become an expert at "mommy" marketing, which is why JCP was smart to grab her.

"One million" moms quite obviously misread the entire situation and WAY overreached. It's a shame that anybody is paying them any attention at all for this immature outburst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies