U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should JC Penney dump Ellen DeGeneres because she's gay?
Yes 13 9.29%
No 125 89.29%
Not sure 2 1.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 07:03 AM

67,082 posts, read 36,132,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Finn, use your head. What makes Ellen a "controversial" person? Her sexuality, which only matters to this significant degree to a fringe anti-gay group. To put it another way, if hiring ED didn't alienate a fringe anti-gay group, would it still be a poor business decision? No, right? So it is the fact that it bothers them that makes it a bad idea, in your book.

"Poor business decision" implies that there is something to regret. Any other time a business trades an asset for something else, it's just a transaction. Maybe the trading of their most ignorant customers for the chance to show they are accepting of gay people was just that? A transaction. And one I'd like to believe I'd make as well, if given the chance.
What makes you think it offends only a fringe group? Millions of people are tired of having homosexuality crammed down their throats, and they will simply stop supporting pro-gay businesses. There may be only this 'million moms" group who are actively and openly protesting it, but there are many more who will simply not visit JCP again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 07:16 AM

6,491 posts, read 5,394,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What makes you think it offends only a fringe group? Millions of people are tired of having homosexuality crammed down their throats, and they will simply stop supporting pro-gay businesses. There may be only this 'million moms" group who are actively and openly protesting it, but there are many more who will simply not visit JCP again.
No matter. For you to say it was a poor business decision when you're not even aware of JCP's goals is assuming too much.

And nothing in the OP suggests either business nor morality is the focus. So let's recap:

1. You don't KNOW how it has affected JCP's business. For all you know, it accomplished exactly what they wanted to accomplish. Again, it could be just as easily considered a mere transaction. But you make an assumption on its business sense.

2. You SHOULD know, however, that firing someone for being gay is wrong in the moral sense. No matter what effect it has on your business, you should always do the right thing. This is knowledge we expect you to possess.

3. Yet, you have shown the willingness to entertain the assumption rather than your knowledge. That is why people here are accusing you of a bias. You'd rather speculate to allow yourself to criticize than simply tell it like it is.

This was your first post here, correct?

Quote:
I would get rid of her, because she is bad for business, and the 1 million moms have already proven that. Keeping her a bad business move from JCPenny's part.
...tells which you value first, what's right or what you ASSUME is good business.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:22 AM

235 posts, read 456,324 times
Quote:
Wait a second...how is hiring Ellen "having homosexuality crammed down" our throats? Are you for real? Ellen currently advertises CoverGirl make up and I don't seem to recall any of those ads having any sort of "gay agenda" or reference to her being gay. Clearly business is doing well for them with Ellen in their ads...she's been a spokeswoman for their products for a few years now. I imagine the same women who buy drug store cosmetics shop at JCP. I see hiring Ellen as a good business decision for JCP, personally. Same demographic.

I find your above post really insulting. "Pro-gay" businesses? You say that like it's a bad thing. Like being tolerant of all people is somehow a negative? Wow, bigotry at it's finest. Honestly if someone chose not to shop at a store because they "allowed" gay people to also shop there or advertise for them I'd be glad they didn't shop at the store. I'd rather not be browsing aisles next to a group of bigots.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 AM

36,375 posts, read 15,129,464 times
This is similar to Lowe's pulling it's adds on the TV show All-American Muslim, Susan Komen foundation to pull it's funding for PPH seems like there are groups out there using their influence on companies and charitable organizations. It's their right of course but it puts the organization in a difficult position and can back-fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies