Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times

Advertisements

Their country, they are free to do as they want.

On a personal note, I think nationalized dress codes are asinine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 07:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
What happens in France

Stays in France

Who cares?
Pretty much. Their country, their business.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:03 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,104 times
I remember when Sarkozy and France started their crackdown on the introduction of "foreign customs" in their country, it kinda saddened me and I did/do look at it as bigotry. France is an interesting place. I've been there before and I really had a good personal feeling about it, very much enjoyed it, but I am not surprised at the way their government is trying to keep things "French."

Old 02-04-2012, 08:44 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yeah; we get it you have no like or respect for France but, what of your country and it's welcoming of muslims? What of your country and it's allowance for mosques being built everywhere? What of your country and it's reliance on the mid-eastern truck drivers taking over the commercial trucking industry? What of your country and it's political correctness that allows the removal of "merry christmas" and many other christian traditions from schools and civic buildings?

Who cares? You should; as goes France is a blueprint for "so goes the U.S of A." You doubt this at your peril.
Honestly I wouldn't care, and a lot of those are true already. It's not like there are zero Muslims or mosques in the U.S.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:54 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I remember when Sarkozy and France started their crackdown on the introduction of "foreign customs" in their country, it kinda saddened me and I did/do look at it as bigotry. France is an interesting place. I've been there before and I really had a good personal feeling about it, very much enjoyed it, but I am not surprised at the way their government is trying to keep things "French."
Thier country, thier rules. Muslims try and "push" everything toward thier culture. If the French don't want head scarves, thats thier right.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:11 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercule Poirot View Post
You mean like WWII??
Did I miss something in the OP that talked about WW2 or are you bringing it up because you want to remind everybody what losers the French were in WW2?

Old 02-04-2012, 10:27 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
I don't have an issue with their law. France is a secular nation and like PP said they are into preserving what is "French" and I honestly don't see anything wrong with that. I feel they can do whatever they want in their country and if a change is going to occur, it should occur from within. The French have a history of protesting and getting results from said protest when there are issues there. Also if those who want to wear their religious garb feel that they are being discriminated against and that this discrimination is violating their rights as French citizens, then they can fight that fight in court.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:37 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Quite some time ago I remember reading an article about Muslim girls who were attending public school in France. Some of these girls refused to wear the headscarf, which was met not only by taunting by fundamentalist Muslim men and boys but by acts of violence, including stoning, of the girls when they were on their way home. These young girls were often called whores by such men.

So France passed this headscarf law, banning them in public schools but also banning any ostentatious sign of religion by students, including turbans, yarmulkes, and large crosses.

In France, the concept has usually been freedom from religion rather than freedom of religion. France has also signed some agreement between nations of non discrimination regarding religion.

I watched a special on tv called 'World on Trial'. There was a bogus court case in which this law was questioned. The jury was composed mostly by students of colleges around the world.

You can watch it here, if you'd like:

World On Trial - Episode 1 - YouTube

I know my opinion, which is probably obvious, but thought this would offer an interesting point for debate. How does everyone else feel?
None of that will matter once France becomes a Muslim nation (and that will happen). I believe half the babies born in France now are to Muslim families.

It's just a matter of time.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:41 PM

488 posts, read 554,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Banning the headscarf is no better than enforcing it.
Agreed!

Old 02-04-2012, 10:46 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,765,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
None of that will matter once France becomes a Muslim nation (and that will happen). I believe half the babies born in France now are to Muslim families.

It's just a matter of time.
Don't underestimate the French. They got rid of an absolute monarchy in three years, and we haven't been able to get rid of the neocons in 10 years

There will be a line of wine on the ground. Try to take the wine away from the French and it will be 1789 all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies