Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:52 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
How long until facebook strong arms many website on the internet into having their "like" or soon to be "dislike" button? If you don't click on the button then you won't have access to the site. It will be a data goldmine on users for facebook, and all facebook will have to do is give websites a small piece of the pie to get their button on the website.
facebook is already a data goldmine on 800 million users.

No website owner in his/her right mind would restrict traffic in that manner - or they would soon be out of business.

You should probably be more concerned about the feds trying to gain the power to shut down websites with no questions asked and no recourse. The conditions would be right for it to allow you to see only what it wants you to see. Much like China. ETA: sopa/pipa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 06:56 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,393 times
Better than getting sucked into this forum. I usta till I saw the light and set myself free. There's no sense in arguing with idiots, cause you can't fix stupid. Although I've heard a 2x4 bout 3 feet long upside the head will jangle the stupidity every now and then.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:18 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
How long until facebook strong arms many website on the internet into having their "like" or soon to be "dislike" button? If you don't click on the button then you won't have access to the site. It will be a data goldmine on users for facebook, and all facebook will have to do is give websites a small piece of the pie to get their button on the website.
Sit back and think a moment on just how stupid this sounds.

One will be barred from a web site unless they click on Like or Dislike.

Sounds like the perfect Catch-22 situation.

You have to click on a Like or Dislike button on the web site, if you don't you'll get barred from the site but if one is barred from the web site they will never get to see and be able to click on the Like or Dislike button.

-or-

Is the Like or Dislike button the first thing they have to click on before someone is allowed to view the actual web site?

Old 02-02-2012, 07:25 PM

19,706 posts, read 20,240,448 times
There is no dislike button. lol

Old 02-02-2012, 07:27 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
Facebook only has any power because millions of people make it so. I had a Facebook page for many years until I could no longer deny just how invasive they were. I deleted my account as a consequence.

If you don't like the way they push their way into every aspect of your online existence, stop using them. It's not that complicated.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:08 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Facebook only has any power because millions of people make it so. I had a Facebook page for many years until I could no longer deny just how invasive they were. I deleted my account as a consequence.

If you don't like the way they push their way into every aspect of your online existence, stop using them. It's not that complicated.
I wouldn't have a facebook account if you paid me.

But Facebook has a growing problem that seems to be catching on.

Teens Leaving Facebook for Twitter | Digg LocalNewsSF

Quote:
Teens, after being friended by parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles on Facebook, have moved to Twitter to get a little more privacy. Until recently, Twitter was thought of as mainly for those promoting their business or themselves, but a recent Pew Internet & American Life Project study showed that teens 12 to 17 doubled their presence on Twitter in the last two years. While still relatively small, jumping from 8 to 16 percent, it shows a growing trend.

"I love twitter, it's the only thing I have to myself ... cause my parents don't have one," Britteny Praznik, a 17-year-old from just outside Milwaukee, tweeted.

And surprisingly

Is this the beginning of the end for Facebook? – Telegraph Blogs

It's gonna crash, remember My Space etc etc?

Old 02-02-2012, 08:23 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I wouldn't have a facebook account if you paid me.

But Facebook has a growing problem that seems to be catching on.

Teens Leaving Facebook for Twitter | Digg LocalNewsSF

And surprisingly

Is this the beginning of the end for Facebook? – Telegraph Blogs

It's gonna crash, remember My Space etc etc?
Well, I am right there with you. I am certainly not the target demographic for Facebook or Twitter, but I am not too far out of it, either - I suppose nobody really is. Frankly, I have no idea what Facebook was supposed to do for me. Sure, I was able to find long lost friends but guess what? There was a reason they had been lost.

I found that I had nothing to say to them and that they had nothing to say to me other than the initial reconnection conversation - you know: How have you been? Are you married? Kids? Job? You live where? Why?

After that, I received status updates that were just about as meaningless and boring as I am sure, mine were for them.

I found it much more gratifying to have actual interactions IRL.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:45 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,510 times
This is GOOD stuff, this video of Zuckerberg sweating and having to take off his hoodie that he said he never takes off!! They had him sooo on the spot. Looks like the kid still has a conscience....beautiful. God bless him to continue to sweat till he realizes anything that he needs to, for the good of his own soul AND for our nation and world.

In reply to the OP, NOPE. They didn't own me or my life even when I was a very active Facebook'er. They had my IP of course, duhh but they never were handed my real name or personal info.
Mark Zuckerberg gets hot under the collar over your privacy issues and sweats - YouTube

Old 02-03-2012, 03:01 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,510 times
The NSA established a huge, Data Mining Center in San Antonio just after Microsoft did the same thing in the same Texas town.

I'm surprised at the number of folks that are still unaware that Facebook, too has established a Data Mining Center. Of all places, in Oregon! the lucky dawgs that get to live up there and make excellent money in this field, though don't get me wrong, San Antone is a fabulous place to live, but Oregon will be safer once the subversives have crashed our dollar completely.

Photo tour of Facebook’s new datacenter

About NSA...

http://www2.sacurrent.com/news/story.asp?id=69490

http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitution/2177-nsa-supercenters-to-store-americans-private-data-permanently (broken link)

Old 02-03-2012, 06:04 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:
No acccount? Everyone can see where this is going. If you don't have an account than you won't be able to click the like or dislike button and hence willl be rejected from visiting the website. In other words you'd be pretty much forced to sign up for Facebook so they can mine your data!
No account myself either. If it goes the way you say, I just simply won't visit the site. Nothing's so important to make it worth it. I don't see amazon, etc, doing this as they would lose people who would have otherwise ordered from the site. FB can shove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies