Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 01:24 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,689,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Also, JCPenney should remain neutral and not pick any sides.
Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 01:36 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Really? Please find where in the Bible you can see a single instance where Jesus evoked a hate posse, bashed gays, told folks to hate black people, or instructed mankind to hate & beat down/ humiliate womankind as a religious right. Ever. Anywhere.

They aren't practicing religion. They made up their own 'religion'. In other words, a cult.
Seriously, do you really want me to start quoting the bible? Also, all religions are made up cults.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:46 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Neutral is someone who does not stir controversies, and doesn't rub groups of people the wrong way.
Well, as far as I can tell, the only aspect of Ellen Degeneres that rubs the Fundies the wrong way (so to speak) is her sexuality. So I guess it's a yes - no gays in advertising, it makes us uncomfortable. Hetero is neutral, gay is taking sides.

Quote:
Why do you think there is already two long threads about her being the spokesperson? Because people find her controversial. Businesses do not need controversy.
Seems to me that JCP has gained plenty of positive PR just by standing their ground. The "controversy", such as it was, was fabricated by the Christian Hate Delivery System of the hour, and it has gained a lot of attention for a very run-of-the-mill ad campaign featuring a fairly innocuous spokesperson.

So - could it be that it's the overly hysterical reaction towards a gay spokesperson that's actually controversial?

Old 02-10-2012, 03:57 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,396,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, as far as I can tell, the only aspect of Ellen Degeneres that rubs the Fundies the wrong way (so to speak) is her sexuality. So I guess it's a yes - no gays in advertising, it makes us uncomfortable. Hetero is neutral, gay is taking sides.

Seems to me that JCP has gained plenty of positive PR just by standing their ground. The "controversy", such as it was, was fabricated by the Christian Hate Delivery System of the hour, and it has gained a lot of attention for a very run-of-the-mill ad campaign featuring a fairly innocuous spokesperson.

So - could it be that it's the overly hysterical reaction towards a gay spokesperson that's actually controversial?

Exactly! It's not like the commercial was Ellen holding hands and kissing a woman.

She's a woman who just happens to be gay, and happens to not want to keep it in the closet.

Manufactured controversy by busy body "million moms"! Typical conservative obsession with controlling the personal lives of others.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:09 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Neutral is someone who does not stir controversies, and doesn't rub groups of people the wrong way. Why do you think there is already two long threads about her being the spokesperson? Because people find her controversial. Businesses do not need controversy.
No, it's the mindless bigotry of the "one million moms' front group that people find controversial, not Ellen.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:14 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,017 times
Nobody finds Ellen controversial except crazy religious extremists. She's one of the most likable TV personalities out there.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:15 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osimeon00 View Post
Not at the expense of the creator Walt Disney. He would be disgusted and turning in his grave if he knew Disney advocated homosexuality. Especially in HIS park. Not only was he a Christian but his parents were as well.
He'd also be turning in his grave if he knew they let Jews go to Disney World, let alone serve on the corporate board.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Good for JC Penney. I wonder how many moms are really in the "million moms."
In this response, Ellen says "There are only about 40,000 on their facebook page. They're rounding up to the nearest million, and I get that."

LOL!

Ellen Addresses Her JCPenney Critics - YouTube

Old 02-10-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

How many of those religious fundie bigots spend as much time and money supporting and working for charities the way Ellen does?

They hate Ellen just because she is gay and completely ignore who she is and what she does.

Ellen says the traditional 'values' she stands for are: "Honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you want to be treated, and helping those in need."

Will the real follower of Christ's teachings please stand up?

Old 02-10-2012, 04:33 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Who cares. If a company uses someone I cant stand or strongly disagree with or just dislike, I wont by from them. If anything, Ellen is annoying and unfunny. How she manages to get paid to be a talentless goof on tv is beyond me. Reason enough for me to not shop at JCP, not that I did much anyways. Same goes to the companies that use the Whoredashians. Dont expect a dime from me if you use those bimbos to try and sell something.

LOL yeah I see that too. I'm not that bored with my life that I need to sit and look at her not talent whatever you call it she does just for the sake of looking at a lesbian. She even said that years ago that people will watch her just to see the lesbian. I agree with her about that. She said that in reference to a movie she was in I think it was Mr. Wrong. I remember seeing how mean she was to Joely Fischer at the awards back I think in the 90's when she played the character Ellen Morgan in her series buy the book. I don't think she realized she was still on camera LOL. She's really not that nice a person other than helping shelter pets for a year and some charites. At least she does share some of her money to make up for the no talent and it seems that the only thing that saved her career or maybe jump started the dyeing career she had was being a lesbian and coming out as one.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 02-10-2012 at 04:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies