Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 11:29 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
And here we have another inane response to a vary rational point of view.

Once again, let's try to be rational. Yes, people are going to have sex, no doubt about that. But we are human beings (not rabbits) and we have the awareness of, and means to prevent unwanted pregnancies,""""

...and have for 100's of years...maybe even thousands(the ancient Egyptians used papyrus). But you canNOT change human nature...thousands of years of existence would tell an INTELLIGENT human being that all the "ifs", "shoulds", "need to's" in the world wil NOT change humans.

"""" with the only requirement being the commitment to exercise the personal responsibility to utilize preventive measures and precautions. And if some cannot afford condoms, they can just find a 10 year old who's not using the ones given him in elementary school.

But it's a poor argument to say that since people are going to have sex, unwanted pregnancies are inevitable, as if there are no means available to prevent them. The answer now seems to be one of surrender, making the next act of irresponsibility the automatic solution to the first, making abortion easily available to all.

You see, just as it is human nature to have sex, so is it human nature to behave irresponsibility when there is no consequence in doing so. By making abortion so easily available, the consequences of irresponsibility have been eliminated, consequently, you can expect that irresponsible behavior to increase.
Once again an anti-choicer PROVES that punishment of women is what they're really all about.

When abortions were illegal women still got abortions...but you can take great delight in the fact that many died from them....is that punishment enough for YOU????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 11:34 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Yes indeed. And that seems to be one of the big dichotomies in the realm of "freedom".

Personally, I'm a libertarian minded type person who rejects the idea that morality can be legislated, or forced. Yet there is an endless list of items for which we do indeed "force" behavior to conform to a certain standard. We have innumerable laws that punish individuals if they inflict harm, or even risk inflicting harm on others ... from laws prohibiting violence against others, to laws that prohibit drinking alcohol and driving an automobile, which is purely preventative in nature. After all, just drinking and driving hurts no one unless there is an accident. So this is a form of demanding certain behavior to prevent the potential situation of risking harm to others.

With the issue of abortion, the question is pretty clear. Either the developing baby is a human being who deserves protection from being harmed by others, or it is not a human being that is due such protection. It really is as simple as that. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the "right" of the mother, or individual choice, or "none of your business" crap .... because no one in a civil society has the right to inflict harm on another human being, unless it is an act of self defense.

So one could consider an abortion in the case of a pregnancy that poses a risk to the mother's life ... or those cases occurring from rape or incest as an act of self defense .. and I would agree with that. But for the 90% of abortions that are had for the reasons of "convenience" ... the question seems clear ... is that baby a human being that has the right of being protected from harm or not. None of the other arguments are legitimate.

So this business about us living in a "free country" is total BS. You are never free to inflict harm on, or end the life of another human being simply for your personal convenience. And we have numerous laws that support that philosophy, and rightly so.

So, if an unborn baby is indeed a living human being, then you DO NOT have the right to choose to kill it simply for convenience. You can use a simple example as a comparison scenario. Once a baby is born, let's say it's two weeks old, the mother has the lawful responsibility to feed and care for that infant, and can be prosecuted for neglect, or intentionally harming it. And I think most people would agree that if a mother took her infant child and drown it in the bathtub because she just didn't want the responsibility of caring for the infant, most would agree that the mother committed a heinous act, and deserves to be punished.

So what is the real difference between that and aborting the child a few weeks before it was born? The only answer to that can be that the unborn child is not a living human being. Of course, by most reasonable definitions .... pro-choice advocates would lose the argument, if the issue were to be decided by that criteria. That's because we have pretty strong evidence that suggests that unborn babies display the same generally accepted signs of being a living human being very early on ... heartbeat and brain activity being the major two signs of life.

NOW, what say you about "none of your business"? Should we all adopt the same mentality if someone finds it convenient to break into your home tonight and end your life? Should we just say ... "well, it's none of our business"? Is that the "Free Country" you want to live in?
Can a fetus inside the first three months live without the mother?

No

Its not living

A heart beat does not mean its alive. Lots of brain dead people with beating hearts in ICU's

Old 02-05-2012, 11:37 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,311,817 times
I can totally undestand a woman being anti abortion. She simply doesn't have sex until she's found a comitted partner and wants to have a child. What I don't understand is a man against abortion. Why would they chose to have sex with a woman who believes in abortion? Truly, I don't get it.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I can totally undestand a woman being anti abortion. She simply doesn't have sex until she's found a comitted partner and wants to have a child. What I don't understand is a man against abortion. Why would they chose to have sex with a woman who believes in abortion? Truly, I don't get it.
I've been on a lot of dates. I can honestly say, our opinion on abortion was not discussed. Better things to do with our tongues

And yes, I always practiced safe sex. Of course, my parents actually explained to me what a condom was for, why I should use one, and that sex wasn't an evil thing.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I've been on a lot of dates. I can honestly say, our opinion on abortion was not discussed. Better things to do with our tongues

And yes, I always practiced safe sex. Of course, my parents actually explained to me what a condom was for, why I should use one, and that sex wasn't an evil thing.
Hmmm. I would think that abortion would be a big part of any date before you sleep with someone. BTW, there is no such thing as 'safe sex'. You CAN get pregnant even with a condom. That's the problem. The only safe sex is NO sex, and most men aren't willing to go there....but they're more than happy to have an opinion about PP and abortion!

Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Hmmm. I would think that abortion would be a big part of any date before you sleep with someone. BTW, there is no such thing as 'safe sex'. You CAN get pregnant even with a condom. That's the problem. The only safe sex is NO sex, and most men aren't willing to go there....but they're more than happy to have an opinion about PP and abortion!
I think a date with you would be quite boring, but maybe thats just me.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I think a date with you would be quite boring, but maybe thats just me.
Maybe so. Let's put it this way, if you sleep with me, you better be ok with me having an abortion if I get pregnant.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Maybe so. Let's put it this way, if you sleep with me, you better be ok with me having an abortion if I get pregnant.
IMO, its none of my business if you get an abortion. I'd even go so far to say, if a woman sleeps with a man, she should have no problem with him walking away from the woman and the child, and expect no restitution for that child.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:04 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,293 times
Quote:
If I get you pregnant, the law suits will be HUGE! I took pregnant out of the equation long ago....

Old 02-05-2012, 12:10 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Quote:
IMO, its none of my business if you get an abortion. I'd even go so far to say, if a woman sleeps with a man, she should have no problem with him walking away from the woman and the child, and expect no restitution for that child.
Some women do, but it doesn't matter. As a whole we have recognized that children born into poverty or without financial support isn't appropriate. The only alternative to the government is the people who created it...the woman and the man. We all know this and can't claim ignorance. This is also where freedom and personal responsibility come in and why, if you'd rather be doing something else with your tongues besides talk to the person you are about to inseminate, you might just have to deal with things you don't like later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies