Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 10:56 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
This quote shows an amazing ignorance about the poor. As I said on page 2 I do a lot of work with low income seniors. Many of them have been fishing their entire lives. They have worked hard their entire lives, but for whatever reason they were not able to acquire a lot of savings. Often if they do work it is difficult and they can only manage part time, and sometimes because of their age they cannot find work. Sometimes they have grandchildren living with them because their kids cannot take care of them.

It is not that they are or were lazy it is that they worked hard, but often had low wage jobs that didn't allow for much savings and they cannot do what they used and nowadays and they now need some support to take care of themselves and sometimes their minor grandchildren. That is why we need a lot of these government programs rightwingers love to hate.
If those same people had been told that they need to provide for the future, most of them would have done so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 10:58 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
You know what I find most ironic in this thread? You guys (on both sides) want to PROVE how charitable you are, by requesting and/or providing dollar amounts - all the while quoting the Bible, and claiming how pious you are. Having been raised in the Jewish faith, I was taught that Tzedakah (charity) is not only expected but required. However, I was also taught that speaking of such things is prohibited, and doing so basically cancels out whatever you donated... as that would be "doing charity for praise/accolades," as opposed to giving because it's your duty to G-d.

Do you all know about the Jewish tradition at funerals, where everyone comes up to the grave and adds a few scoops of dirt? At one funeral I attended the Rabbi explained this as the "highest level of Tzedekah," because there was NO way the deceased could return the favor. Doing a good deed while expecting praise, or a return favor, is a much lower level of Tzedekah according to this Rabbi. I thought that made a lot of sense, and have tried to remember that in my daily actions ever since. Anyway, just something to think about, as you all try to out-do each other with how generous you are.

P.S. Before alphamale or Aero says it, I am not trying to deflect, only to give some perspective on this issue. And if you try to make assumptions about me personally, based on this post, I can pretty much guarantee you'll be wrong.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
And surprisingly the wages/income for those at the bottom never seem to grow. The working poor spend their life on a treadmill of hopelessness.
I thought hat knowledge was power?

If you know this, why not make changes to help yourself?

Old 02-05-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
The problem is conservatives don't discriminate when they want to cut programs. They aggressively target Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and Food stamps when the primary beneficiaries of those programs are children and the elderly. A lot of conservatives don't realize this, but the primary beneficiaries of Food Stamps are children and the main use of Medicaid is nursing home care.
Listen....let's keep this between us....but 0b0mba just cut Medicare by $500 BILLION DOLLARS!

Shhhhhh.....don't tell anyone else.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Who appointed YOU to be the one people should report their charitable contributions to? Mine are between me, the charities, and the IRS.

Just because someone doesn't want to report their contributions to City-Data, that doesn't mean they don't contribute.

How 'bout you telling us how much you're taking a tax deduction for?
So now you're using LOOP HOLES!

Old 02-05-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
This is disgusting! You're going to praise all the people who feel that when AeroGuy says "jump" they should jump? Sick, just sick.

I don't need your admiration. I know what I've done, and so does God.
All of a sudden, the lefties believe in God?

Old 02-05-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
All of the quotes from the Bible that I posted are directly FROM the Bible. Maybe you haven't read it.

I'm getting damn sick of you claiming I gave no money to charity. You should be able to see the logic failure of that yourself.

As for the rest of you that are playing this game, step right up and tell ol' AeroGuy and alphamale how much you've given! Then get a little pat on the back from them! It feels dirty to me even when I read it.
Being raised Catholic, I admit that I dont know the bible as well as some, but i do know that the bible has no influence on our nations policies.

In case you forgot.....

First amendment......

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:10 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
All of the quotes from the Bible that I posted are directly FROM the Bible. Maybe you haven't read it.

I'm getting damn sick of you claiming I gave no money to charity. You should be able to see the logic failure of that yourself.

As for the rest of you that are playing this game, step right up and tell ol' AeroGuy and alphamale how much you've given! Then get a little pat on the back from them! It feels dirty to me even when I read it.
First off, I am not a Christian so I really could not care less what the Bible says. If me saying some of what I do on the internet gives me even a modest shred of credibility to discuss those issues I will type it all day long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If those same people had been told that they need to provide for the future, most of them would have done so.
Quote:
You were raised to believe that.

If you feel that some bureaucrat in DC should handle your retirement for you, fine.

As for me, I'll live on the streets before I allow one to dictate my freedom for me.
This is some of the most ignorant drivel I have read on this forum. How the hell do you tell a six year old that he needs to plan to provide meals for himself? The same is true for a senior who worked hard, but had unanticipated expenses. Are you going to tell a 70 year old homemaker gee sorry your spouse passed away before you did and you don't have savings, you should have planned better rather then raising a family.

As for you yes when your 70 and need nursing home care that costs $80K a year go live on the street rather then taking medicaid, see how well that works out for you.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:11 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
All of a sudden, the lefties believe in God?
Many do, yes... did you think the right had a monopoly on religious voters?

Old 02-05-2012, 11:12 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You know what I find most ironic in this thread? You guys (on both sides) want to PROVE how charitable you are, by requesting and/or providing dollar amounts - all the while quoting the Bible, and claiming how pious you are. Having been raised in the Jewish faith, I was taught that Tzedakah (charity) is not only expected but required. However, I was also taught that speaking of such things is prohibited, and doing so basically cancels out whatever you donated... as that would be "doing charity for praise/accolades," as opposed to giving because it's your duty to G-d.
Yeah, yeah, yeah....just because one doesn't speak of it doesn't mean it isn't calculated. You're Jewish? So you know how it goes. Who gets the best seats during a high holiday service? Not the ones who forgot to "donate".

And that negates the following:

Quote:
Do you all know about the Jewish tradition at funerals, where everyone comes up to the grave and adds a few scoops of dirt? At one funeral I attended the Rabbi explained this as the "highest level of Tzedekah," because there was NO way the deceased could return the favor. Doing a good deed while expecting praise, or a return favor, is a much lower level of Tzedekah according to this Rabbi. I thought that made a lot of sense, and have tried to remember that in my daily actions ever since. Anyway, just something to think about, as you all try to out-do each other with how generous you are.
Maybe your life-long experiences vs. mine, but that's what I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies