Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 02:27 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
So the poor are just another function of the government akin to garbage collectors, bus drivers, etc? They're just a fact of life that have to be funded in order for city services to continue? The get a budget just like every other service provided to taxpayers?

Really??
If you're going to dissect an analogy, at least get the analogous parts right.

Do you donate to the poor : Do you donate to the garbage collector

No I pay taxes that fund the service that take care of the poor : No I pay taxes that fund the service that takes care of garbage collection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 02:43 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Before I got cancer and became a charity case myself, I gave hundreds of hours of REAL volunteer work (not just a few one-offs at a food banks - I'm talking 20+ hours a week in unpaid volunteer roles). I gave what little money that I could - proportionally to my income, it was significant.

While I have no money to give now, I am a leader in the young adult cancer community in Boston and serve as a point of first contact when people between the ages of 15 and 39 are diagnosed at my hospital. I founded the Boston chapter and now lead and plan events for the I'm Too Young for This! Foundation. I serve as an advocate/first contact for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, especially working on their medical marijuana initiatives. I am also one of Immerman's Angels. Lastly, I'm a volunteer grantwriter at several small cancer focused nonprofits. The one I do the most work for offers financial assistants to people 18 - 35 who are financially devastated following treatment for cancer. We pay for a few months of a gym membership, rent, negotiate down medical bills, and other costs that can help a very neglected, vulnerable population get back on their feet. Most of these I can do from home because I still do not have the energy level to be out and about after working a 40+ hour workweek.

Outside of the cancer world, I work professionally in higher ed fundraising specifically working to get scholarship money. I'm also a mentor within the Big Brother Big Sister framework to adults with special needs. We get together once a month.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:53 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times
Quote:
Not tax dollars. Real dollars straight from your wallet.

Do you walk the walk? Or is it like paying for every other noble idea that you champion ...........you expect it to be done with everyone else's money?

Tell us how you live up to your own ideals.
I have donated substantial amounts in cash to various good causes..... WHY?
Because unfortunately in todays America.... Charity is a everyday requirement for many to survive....... bit like a lot of African and middle eastern Countries.... where people would die without Charity..... same here in the most powerful country in the World........ If anyone thinks that is how America should be....... Millions living on donations, then that is Disgusting!

Old 02-03-2012, 03:13 PM

994 posts, read 724,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I have donated substantial amounts in cash to various good causes..... WHY?
Because unfortunately in todays America.... Charity is a everyday requirement for many to survive....... bit like a lot of African and middle eastern Countries.... where people would die without Charity..... same here in the most powerful country in the World........ If anyone thinks that is how America should be....... Millions living on donations, then that is Disgusting!
It depends on what you mean by "should". If I could wave a magic wand and have everyone on the planet be safe, happy, healthy, and rich I'd do it. So in that sense, this isn't how America "should" be.

But if you mean people shouldn't need charity in America because the rich are hogging all the resources, then I most certainly do think that's how America "should" be. It's called freedom.

Freedom means you're free to succeed or fail. It doesn't mean if you don't succeeed then someone else who did succeed should pay your way through life.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:33 PM

1,081 posts, read 915,934 times
Quote:
I take that to mean $0.

So, basically, you believe other people's money should do the heavy lifting for poor people. But on the personal level? No way...nothing to the poor!

Do I have that right?
I gave a guy a half a sandwich once. Post your address, I'll send you a can of Pringles or something.
The poor gets everything they need and more from my taxes, troll.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:38 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
I don't agree with just giving cash to the poor. It's not a wise way to distribute limited resources.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:39 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Lightbulb Liberals: How Much Money Have You Donated To The Poor Since 2008?

Quote:
Not tax dollars. Real dollars straight from your wallet.

Do you walk the walk? Or is it like paying for every other noble idea that you champion ...........you expect it to be done with everyone else's money?

I dunno...

A hundred bucks or so.

You?

Old 02-03-2012, 03:42 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
"At this festive season of the year, Mr. Scrooge," said the gentleman, taking up a pen, "it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and Destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."

"Are there no prisons?" asked Scrooge.

"Plenty of prisons," said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

"And the Union workhouses?" demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?"

"They are. Still," returned the gentleman, "I wish I could say they were not."

"The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?" said Scrooge.

"Both very busy, sir."

"Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course," said Scrooge. "I'm very glad to hear it."

"Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude," returned the gentleman, "a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?"

"Nothing!" Scrooge replied.

"You wish to be anonymous?"

"I wish to be left alone," said Scrooge. "Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned -- they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there."

"Many can't go there; and many would rather die."

"If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population. Besides -- excuse me -- I don't know that."

"But you might know it," observed the gentleman.

"It's not my business," Scrooge returned. "It's enough for a man to understand his own business, and not to interfere with other people's. Mine occupies me constantly. Good afternoon, gentlemen!"

Old 02-03-2012, 03:55 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I've never met a liberal that actually lives up to the standards they attack other people for not reaching.
Why don't you clowns first tell us WHEN your heroic conservative weenies have lived up to smaller government, cutting spending, and the family values you allegedly possess?

Until you prove otherwise what we see is SPEND! SPEND! SPEND! when it suits your agenda, MORE government when it suits your agenda, and a lack of so-called 'family values' second to none.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:01 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
The real question is..

Do Conservatives walk the walk? I doubt they are any different from liberals.

I hate the 2 party system btw, and distrust both parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies