Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:03 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Not tax dollars. Real dollars straight from your wallet.

Do you walk the walk? Or is it like paying for every other noble idea that you champion ...........you expect it to be done with everyone else's money?

Tell us how you live up to your own ideals.
No offense but you'd have more credibility if it wasn't constantly liberals this and liberals that. I mean I'm fairly conservative on a lot of financial and economic matters but I'm fairly liberal socially.

Grouping people in a few boxes like "conservatives" or "liberals" is just not an intelligent way to go through life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 04:04 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
That problem is that most of the handouts are going to people that are only taking advantage don't really need them.
Do you have solid proof of that?

Old 02-03-2012, 04:06 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Do you have solid proof of that?
Just open your eyes and look around. And get to know some poor people.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:

Do you walk the walk? Or is it like paying for every other noble idea that you champion ...........you expect it to be done with everyone else's money?

Quote:
Start your own thread.

The fact that you don't want to state a dollar amount says to me that you're ashamed of that amount relative to the amount of biotching and moaning coming from you and others when it comes to castigating GOP attitudes towards the poor.

Got it.
In the past when I have related some of the charitable works I/my family have done, I've been accused of bragging, or something along those lines. So no, thank you, AeroGuy, I'm not going to enumerate what I do any more on this forum. That's what you RWs have done. Also, there is a Bible verse about this:

Matthew 6:3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,

Old 02-03-2012, 04:14 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
It depends on what you mean by "should". If I could wave a magic wand and have everyone on the planet be safe, happy, healthy, and rich I'd do it. So in that sense, this isn't how America "should" be.

But if you mean people shouldn't need charity in America because the rich are hogging all the resources, then I most certainly do think that's how America "should" be. It's called freedom.
Not really sure that the word 'Freedom" means the same to many in the USA.
America has always had a problem with the word freedom from it's beginnings. The word Freedom was cried out loud and proud even when segregation was rife in the USA when Racial segregation was rife here with the separation of humans into racial groups in daily life. It applied to activities such as eating in a restaurant, drinking from a water fountain, using a public toilet, attending school, going to the movies, or in the rental or purchase of a home yet the Word Freedom was used as if it really existed for all........... but it didn't.

Freedom means you're free to succeed or fail. It doesn't mean if you don't succeeed then someone else who did succeed should pay your way through life.
Freedom does mean that you are free to succeed or fail but unless there is a level playing field it only applies today for those who are wealthy enough to be able to afford the "Freedom" of having Health Care, good education or even decent housing.
Unfortunately today in the USA, saying the word Freedom does not make it so, just like saying America is the land of the Free up to the 60's for Afro Americans didn't make it so either. To NOT be able to get medical treatment because of a pre condition or lack of money is NOT Freedom. To be classed as a American Citizen (puerto ricans) when it comes to fighting in the military for America YET not being allowed to vote in the general Election.... is NOT freedom. There are many examples today of so called freedoms in the USA that are only available to the wealthy and that does not mean that America is the land of the free.... no matter how many times you say it.
To say that we should NOT pay for someone who fails here seems to only apply to the less fortunate Americans and it is classed as Sociaism or "sponging" YET when the Govt uses our taxes to bail out the wealthy or the corporations then it's a "bailout"....... so rediculous!!!!!!!!
Class Warfare is in the USA because of the lack of real freedom and you are judged merely on your finances.... bit like when Americans were judged on the Color of their skin. Today's segregation isn't color but whether you can afford to pay the huge corporations, banks and health insurance companies there HUGE fees and premiums........... Freedom is for the wealthy only..... sad fact but oh so true!

Old 02-03-2012, 04:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
More from my link:

Matthew 6:2 "So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full

Old 02-03-2012, 04:26 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Just open your eyes and look around. And get to know some poor people.
Perchance you should get to know some poor people yourself.

I do know poor people. They're in my family. None of them are public assistance by choice, or because they're lazy. I've volunteered at soup kitchens and have talked to people there, many of them feel that taking public assistance of any type is demeaning.

I know several welfare mothers who'd love to get off Welfare, but aren't able to do so because they can't afford child care for while they're at work, or at school.

One woman I know works part time at Walmart, her husband was killed in Iraq during the first year there, her youngest has a rare medical condition that has $150/month in ongoing expenses for medications. She can't afford to move any where for a better job because she's so low paid that she can barely make ends meet. Her mother lives in a group home and can't watch the kids for her. She has to get assistance in the Winter to keep the heat on, and to keep food on the table for the three children. Clothing is gotten free from a local church. She has a Masters in Chemical Engineering, but got laid off when her job was outsourced and the economy took a dump. Her youngest son had a huge amount of medical bills right about that time that killed her savings.

I know of another gentleman who is blind due to exposure to Agent Orange during Vietnam. He lives on disability through the VA. He is on massive anti-depression medications because he's not able to work. Before going blind, his job was his identity, and he was very well paid for what he did. Unfortunately all that money has gone away over the years to pay off unexpected expenses.

I ask again, please post proof that "...most of the handouts are going to people that are only taking advantage don't really need them."

Old 02-03-2012, 04:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:

None of your business. Worry about your own contributions, and i'll worry about mine.

No liberal (or any person) worth their salt would answer your question.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:33 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In the past when I have related some of the charitable works I/my family have done, I've been accused of bragging, or something along those lines. So no, thank you, AeroGuy, I'm not going to enumerate what I do any more on this forum. That's what you RWs have done. Also, there is a Bible verse about this:

Matthew 6:3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,

Indeed you made a valid point, Katiana and as I said in my own post a couple of pages back, it felt a bit like bragging to answer though I did so without apology, I curtailed it as I typed because of how it felt.

We're on a forum and appears none of us are identifying ourselves, but using anonymous nicknames. No doubt as we go about our lives and do charitable things we are to do nothing to get attention as we do. We also are to pray in secrecy and not out where folks can witness us doing so, for the same basic reasons.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:36 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
So, basically, this thread turned into exactly what I expected. I just wanted to see it in written word so that I can turn it around and throw it right back into the faces of those Liberals who will be the first to rally against those they deem to not have "paid their fair share." Because that's what Liberals do.....rally against the rich in the name of the poor.....the very poor they don't actually want to help at all with their own money.

Bible versus...."it's none of your business"...."I pay taxes".....all of it excuses...and it paints the exact picture that I completely expected from the Liberal left. They hate the rich...they love the poor....but they don't have any intentions whatsoever to put their money where there collective mouths are.......only that everyone else's money be spent. Not their own.

This thread epitomizes Liberalism to the core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies