Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a Republican, Are you worried that the economy is improving?
Yes, I was hoping that the economy would continue to suffer with the hope that it might hurt Obama. 11 45.83%
No, I am happy that things are turning around even if it helps Obama win re-election. 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 11:26 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Not enough choices so I didn't vote.

I'm very happy the economy has recovered but because now there is no reason at all to keep extending unemployment handouts and it's time the welfare programs get severely cut back. Time for people to start supporting themselves again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 11:27 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
What do you mean attempts?
The term doesn't need defining.

Quote:
Are you saying, contrary to the OP that there is not a recovery (and its the Republican's fault)?
It seems that you are the one who just said that.

Quote:
Which one is it?

Whatever happens, DO NOT click here.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:27 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
There is nothing that spoils a Republican's mood than hearing good news about the economy:

Hiring surges in January; jobless rate at 8.3 pct. - Yahoo! Finance

It's like a dart going through their hearts. Every time they turn on the news and hear about the stock market hitting a new high or the unemployment rate dropping by another point, their mood sours. Why? Because they know that this means that President Obama's policies are working. It kills them to acknowledge this. They know that continued improvements in the economy will greatly bolster President Obama's already good chances of re-election in November.

They were hoping that more Americans would continue to suffer economically, that more people would remain unemployed with the vain hope that it might hurt the President politically. Their whole reason for choosing Romney as their candidate is the idea that he would be somehow viewed as been better able to handle the economy. However with signs of the recovery strengthening and picking up steam, the rug is been pulled from under the Republicans' feet. Romney, already a weak candidate, will look even weaker against Obama in November as his main talking point is been slowly dismantled. It doesn't help either that Romney is increasingly viewed as out-of-touch and an anathema to middle-class Americans.

There is a saying among political analysts that: "a rising tide lifts all votes". It seems like the tides are rising in Obama's favor. This is especially sweet to me as it means that good will once again conquer evil.
I'm just glad that the economy's rebounding. It makes things better all around.

But still...I'd pay to see the look on Mitch McConnell's face on election night if Obama wins. Oh, wouldn't that be priceless?

Old 02-04-2012, 11:31 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,689 times
Yes President Obama has cut taxes for most Americans. However he understands that that is not the only strategy to stimulating the economy. He has adopted a comprehensive approach that incorporates tax cuts and other stimulative measures. That is what a real President does. Republicans believe in voodoo economics - that tax cuts and trickle down alone can save us. There lies the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMaster1 View Post
Even though I lean more republican than democrat, it's still good to hear these times are picking up, even though you say it might help Obama. I don't really know about you, but Obama still has a chance of being hurt I feel, rather than helped. We'll have to wait and see.
I guess you are in the minority in your party. Most Republicans I know are openly wishing harm to America's economy. They celebrate any bad news and dismiss any signs that things are improving. Look on the poll for example, most of them voted that they want the economy to continue suffering with the hope that it might hurt Obama.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:33 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Yes President Obama has cut taxes for many Americans. However he understands that that is not the only strategy to stimulating the economy. He has adopted a comprehensive approach that incorporates tax cuts and other stimulative measures. That is what a real President does. Republicans believe in voodoo economics - that tax cuts and trickle down alone can save us. There lies the difference.

But here in lies the problem.

Stimulus spending is open, and fine. But tax cuts while increasing spending is stupid. Thats what Bush did, and look what that got us?

The President doesn't have as much to do with the economy as you'd think.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:34 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
I get it.

You're in favor of more tax cuts and trickle down.

No! Actually the point is you really don't get it.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:40 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
But here in lies the problem.

Stimulus spending is open, and fine. But tax cuts while increasing spending is stupid. Thats what Bush did, and look what that got us?

The President doesn't have as much to do with the economy as you'd think.
But Republicans will be the first to remind us that Obama is to blame if anything goes wrong. They can't have it both ways. If they are gonna blame the President when things go bad, they must also credit him when things are going good.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:40 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Lightbulb Now you oppose tax cuts for the rich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
No! Actually the point is you really don't get it.

Oh!

So you're NOT a hyperpartisan right winger as your strident posts would indicate.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:03 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not enough choices so I didn't vote.

I'm very happy the economy has recovered but because now there is no reason at all to keep extending unemployment handouts and it's time the welfare programs get severely cut back. Time for people to start supporting themselves again.
The economy has not recovered, but it is in the process of recovery. It's going to take more time to see a marked improvement.

People "supporting themselves again"? Some people haven't done that since LBJ's great society. There have been 5 Republican presidents who haven't done a thing about it either.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:04 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
The economy has not recovered, but it is in the process of recovery. It's going to take more time to see a marked improvement.

People "supporting themselves again"? Some people haven't done that since LBJ's great society. There have been 5 Republican presidents who haven't done a thing about it either.
LBJ probably did more to destroy this nation than any other president before or after him...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies