Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:05 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times

Advertisements

As many of us already know, there is a difference. Although not class-ridden, America is not a class-less society. Currently the working-class is lumped in with the ambiguous and broad term "middle-class". I think it is a major disservice to the working-class to not be outright and specifically acknowledged and represented. People should know who they are and be able to identify with those that are similar so that they have a voice as a group. The article I'm going to provide a link to is the best write up I've ever found on this subject and I believe makes the case for what I believe. What do you all think?

Middle Class? Working Class? What’s the Difference? - Working In These Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 04:25 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
As many of us already know, there is a difference. Although not class-ridden, America is not a class-less society. Currently the working-class is lumped in with the ambiguous and broad term "middle-class". I think it is a major disservice to the working-class to not be outright and specifically acknowledged and represented. People should know who they are and be able to identify with those that are similar so that they have a voice as a group. The article I'm going to provide a link to is the best write up I've ever found on this subject and I believe makes the case for what I believe. What do you all think?

Personally I have always objected to the term "working class", which usually refers to union types, as it infers that "rich" (however you may define 'rich') people don't work. But the fact of the matter is most "rich" people work harder than the average 'Joe' carrying a lunch box every day.

We visited the GM plant near here once, and during our visit the plant was in full operation. The people on the assembly line stepped up to a vehicle, connected a few hoses or performed some other task and stepped back to wait for the next vehicle. Others simply pushed buttons. It all appeared effortless, and very routine.

People with resopnsibility to run a company work longer hours on average, usually arriving early and going home late (I know this for fact, as I used to work in the marketing department of a small S. California manufacturing company involved in offshore oilfield equipment (underwater TV systems and remote controlled vehicles). The company execs were always already there when I arrived at 7:30 am, and they were almost always still there when I went home at 4:30 or 5:00 pm.

In my opinion, everyone who has a job is "working class". Unless you are retired, you are "working class".

At present, I guess you could say I'm retired. But I have a freelance business, so I still work, but only when I want to .

Old 02-04-2012, 09:17 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
Middle class can afford to buy a house. Working class usually have to rent.
Middle class can afford to take a vacation. Working class get to have bar-b-ques with their friends.
Middle class can afford to send their kids to college. Unless they get a scholarship, working class kids go to tech school or go right to work.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:19 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Sociology speaking, if you don't own your own business, you aren't middle class.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:22 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
There are a lot more people in the Working Class that are not in the Middle Class.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:07 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Middle class can afford to buy a house. Working class usually have to rent.
Middle class can afford to take a vacation. Working class get to have bar-b-ques with their friends.
Middle class can afford to send their kids to college. Unless they get a scholarship, working class kids go to tech school or go right to work.
Baloney! The "working class" fellow that arranged the tour of GM for our 4-H club made over $40/hr! He had a new car every year, owned his home, and he retired at a young age.

Many people in construction also earn enough money to own a home, go on vacation, etc.

I would say my father was "working class" (a purchasing agent at Lincoln Electric) We had a beautiful home in the country, two horses, a 20' Highlander Class sailboat, and he sent us all to college.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:15 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
I like some of the definitions listed on this page:

Social class in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Working class usually means you're making less than $40,000 (for men) and have a job that doesn't require more than a high school education.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:39 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
There in is the problem.

People look at themselves and say

"I could be doing better, but I could be doing worse, I'm in the middle class."
and
"Hey I work, so I'm working class."

There's no good definition of either.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:45 PM

994 posts, read 724,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post

I read the article. I find both it and your comments offensive. It's nothing more than bigotry with the size of a person's bank account replacing the color of their skin as the basis upon which to promote both stereotyping and resentment.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:57 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
I read the article. I find both it and your comments offensive. It's nothing more than bigotry with the size of a person's bank account replacing the color of their skin as the basis upon which to promote both stereotyping and resentment.
It's just pointing out the ambiguity of using certain words in lumping people with differing economic interests.

I don't think you understand what the word Bigotry means as it is the irrational or unfounded prejudice against viewpoints that contradict one's own, especially with regard to religion, politics or ethnicity. Considering your viewpoint is irrational to the point of not closely matching up with what the word even means, it seems like you more closely match the meaning of the word to the authors viewpoint.

Like a child that hears their parents use a negative word, and use any way they can without knowing what it means.

Not that it surprises me as you don't even seem to understand the nature of the discussion itself, let alone the things that need to be understood in order to participate. I feel so sorry for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies