Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2007, 05:55 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Is it just me or does every conservative on this forum who argues against "the government helping the poor/minorities" claim to have grown up in a poor ghetto and risen up above their circumstances of their own ambition... I mean, I'm not saying you guys are lying but it's weird to know there's such a huge concentration of upwardly mobile types on this website... Are there any economic libertarians here who DIDN'T grow up in the Bronx or Compton? Anybody?

We had so few poor people back before welfare was started! By the way. Welfare created way more poverty, I remember how it was back in the booming, roaring 20's when the poor lived in tenements lined with gold and infested with diamond roaches, you know.
Maybe it is just that the people, who have had to go through what others complain is holding them back, just want everyone to know that those that don't rise above are just using the fact that they grew up in The Bronx or Compton as a crutch.
I could have also mentioned that I was shot in the back in an attempted robbery and lost everything I had worked for up until the time I was 25 and had to start over being I was out of work for a year and a half, but showing that it can be done once is enough. I did it 3 times but I won't get into how I lost everything the second time.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Is it just me or does every conservative on this forum who argues against "the government helping the poor/minorities" claim to have grown up in a poor ghetto and risen up above their circumstances of their own ambition... I mean, I'm not saying you guys are lying but it's weird to know there's such a huge concentration of upwardly mobile types on this website... Are there any economic libertarians here who DIDN'T grow up in the Bronx or Compton? Anybody?

We had so few poor people back before welfare was started! By the way. Welfare created way more poverty, I remember how it was back in the booming, roaring 20's when the poor lived in tenements lined with gold and infested with diamond roaches, you know.
I separated this into 2 different posts since there are 2 separate parts to answer.

When welfare first came to be it was meant to be a helping hand up for those affected by the depression not a lifelong commitment to take care of those who choose not to work.

Here is what Roosevelt said about welfare, "The lessons of history, confirmed by the evidence immediately before me, show conclusively that continued dependence upon relief induces a spiritual and moral disintegration fundamentally destructive to the national fiber. To dole out relief in this way is to administer a narcotic, a subtle destroyer of the human spirit. . . . ", yet here we are 72 years later and we still have welfare and what has it done? Exactly what Roosevelt said it would.

It is long past time to do away with those programs and get everyone to pull themselves up by their own boot straps.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:22 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
The point is -of course there is socio economic disparity across all races. But in addition to this - even poor whites do not generally have to deal with getting pulled over by cops for no reason, getting followed around in stores because people think you are going to stick some goods in your pants, not being allowed to buy a home in a certain neighborhood, deal with all kinds of indignities and unfair treatment on the basis of your skin alone, that Whites by and large are not even aware of. And yes it still happens today.

I am White and do not feel any "guilt" about it, but I am realistic about our society and it is not color blind. I cannot believe some of the posts I read about how tough we Whites are getting it. What a joke.
I agree about society not being color blind.......but it is different in different areas of the country too.....like if you were in a city......I think in the city the cops will stop blacks that look hip-hop just based on thier skin in situations but they wont stop a black guy in a buisiness suite.......in smaller towns there is more discrimination based on skin color....but overall i think the hip-hop look is what gets most black youth to be stopped by cops or discriminated against

Old 09-15-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:

I agree ..........they say that because in reality they just want to be relatable to the people they are speaking against.....i did get welfare and foodstamps when we were kids and we lived in a station wagon for a little while and we were glad that there was a system to help us back them....its not a racial thing to need help in life....i am white and my grandparents came from Italy with nothing and then my parents were impovershed from that and i am still living at home and just trying to overcome the hole that my parents were trying to get out of....so some people do need help regardless of race.....if you are against public assistance then youd better be the one helping "someone" in the path of your life before you say people would be better off without it ......and yes i didnt live in the projects of a big city or bad neighborhoods until i was older and we were off of assistance....before that we lived town to town in public housing or with other families or in a car or at the homeless shelter once in Tallahasse which was at a church

Old 09-15-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I agree ..........they say that because in reality they just want to be relatable to the people they are speaking against.....i did get welfare and foodstamps when we were kids and we lived in a station wagon for a little while and we were glad that there was a system to help us back them....its not a racial thing to need help in life....i am white and my grandparents came from Italy with nothing and then my parents were impovershed from that and i am still living at home and just trying to overcome the hole that my parents were trying to get out of....so some people do need help regardless of race.....if you are against public assistance then youd better be the one helping "someone" in the path of your life before you say people would be better off without it ......and yes i didnt live in the projects of a big city or bad neighborhoods until i was older and we were off of assistance....before that we lived town to town in public housing or with other families or in a car or at the homeless shelter once in Tallahasse which was at a church
Where do you think the money for public assistance comes from? It comes from taxes that I and others like me pay.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:42 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,209 times
You seem bitter, I mean... I would be bitter too, I guess, if I grew up in the Bronx, was shot and lost everything three times in a row but still managed to pull myself up to a high enough economic standing to be angry about welfare and disdainful of the "ungrateful poor"... you should write a book! I bet it would be a bestseller. 50 cent aint got **** on Self-made man real estate Secret Agent Mike Peterson!

If you're telling the truth I apologize.

Last edited by fishmonger; 09-15-2007 at 10:50 PM..

Old 09-15-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
You seem bitter, I mean... I would be bitter too, I guess, if I grew up in the Bronx, was shot and lost everything three times in a row but still managed to pull myself up to a high enough economic standing to be angry about welfare and disdainful of the "ungrateful poor"... you should write a book! I bet it would be a bestseller. 50 cent aint got **** on Self-made man real estate Secret Agent Mike Peterson!

If you're telling the truth I apologize.
In what way am I sounding bitter?

I just think that non stop welfare is wrong and people should rely upon themselves to make things better in their lives rather than expecting a step up becuase of the color of their skin.

And why would I lie about where I grew up and being shot?

You may want to look at your own posts before saying someone else is bitter.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
In what way am I sounding bitter?

I just think that non stop welfare is wrong and people should rely upon themselves to make things better in their lives rather than expecting a step up becuase of the color of their skin.

And why would I lie about where I grew up and being shot?

You may want to look at your own posts before saying someone else is bitter.

I would say there are lots of reasons to lie on the internet.....but as far as people doing things for themselves i agree that you need to make an effort but some people actually need help sometimes......well not everyone has that little helping hand from a family member or friend or even got that foot in the door in a nice job so they need assistance from the government......when i was a little kid living in those places with little to nothing "i needed" assistance.....because i was only a kid and my parents couldnt afford a babysitter so both couldnt work at the same time and they had a car that always overheated and actually ended up breaking down in which we ended up in a shelter for a while because there was no way to work .....i remember being really little learning how to put water in the radiator so the car wouldnt overheat.....they didnt have the time for college because of watching us while the other was working full time just barely making money for rent in public housing......ill even put a pic up on my homepage on myspace for ya to show you what i was wearing back in the day when i was poor as a kid....then you could put some pics of the rough upbringing you had that you didnt need assistance from

check under my homepage after you click on my name

I didnt know i was poor growing up until we started having things when i got older but i was always a happy kid for the most part

Last edited by THASPECIAL; 09-16-2007 at 12:32 AM..

Old 09-16-2007, 12:18 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,209 times
"In what way am I sounding bitter?"

Let's see...

"Maybe it is just that the people, who have had to go through what others complain is holding them back, just want everyone to know that those that don't rise above are just using the fact that they grew up in The Bronx or Compton as a crutch."

You sound pretty angry at your fellow Bronx-ites here, maybe I over-extrapolated this one statement into a sense of overall resentment toward those who depend on welfare at any time, which is apparently always because they "choose not to work," "choose to be poor," "choose to be disadvantaged," you know, "it's all your fault, everything that happens to you is always your fault," that kind of rhetoric sounds kind of bitter and vindictive to me is all, the idea that poverty is somehow something only poor people should care about.

"I just think that non stop welfare is wrong and people should rely upon themselves to make things better in their lives rather than expecting a step up becuase of the color of their skin."

The U.S. hasn't had any type of non-stop welfare in the last 10 years, at least. And poverty has gone up since then, rather than decreasing.

"And why would I lie about where I grew up and being shot?"

I'm not saying you would lie about it, but the anecdotal story that contradicts the other person's argument is always useful in making a point, even if it doesn't serve as a very solid argument for generalizing large groups of people, since anecdotal "evidence" can be found for almost any phenomenon within the realm of physical possiblity, whether real or unreal, true or untrue.

"You may want to look at your own posts before saying someone else is bitter."

The only thing that makes me bitter is when people forget to flush the ****ter, murderous babysitters and I tried but I couldn't out wit her, ye olde social darwinist bile spitter, also Dowd Ritter, who I think is an actual person, or at least I've heard that name before, somewhere.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:19 AM

83 posts, read 220,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
I agree. It isn't about making things right to them, it is about getting even and revenge. And, if discrimination was wrong in the first place, they wouldn't be doing it in reverse.
Exactly, though why is it so difficult to get most people to understand this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies