Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:13 PM

195 posts, read 231,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I didn't say I did, but I use hyperbole and virtual yelling for effect REGULARLY DO YOU HEAR ME??? D O Y O U H E A R M E ??????

HHHHHUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHH?????????????????????

YELLING!!!! Just kidding.

Mostly it irritates me when those with the most power and the most cards stacked in their favor (college-educated white people, Christians, the rich, etc.) complain of persecution, you weren't doing that but your post reminded me of those who do...I guess it's a legitimate question, but it's a question that reminds me of neo-confederate groups and Michael Savage... like a guy who starts a poker game with 30 more chips than everyone else complaining that the rules say he has to give away 5. There are some poor white people who don't fit this analogy but they don't seem to be the majority of the complainers. Let's make income a criteria for Affirmative Action so the aforementioned dirt poor white people don't get screwed over anymore, but if you're not one of them and are complaining PLEASE STOP, you sound like a douche, "you" not meaning the OP but rather upper middle class white people who get mad because a black person or Mexican got the job the wanted and instantly assume it was because of Affirmative Action.
Michael Savage is not Christian, for starters. He's a Jew. His real name is Michael Weiner.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:44 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2kidsmom View Post
Ummm gee, point being that whites cannot create ANYTHING for whites only, because that would be descriminatory. However, blacks can have their own TV station, scholorships for blacks only, they have easier access into better schools, not based on merit but on their skin color. Yes, in many cases, whites need not apply. Sad but true. And sorry for you straight, white guys, it's even harder for you....
Just quit.

Do you even watch television? Is it not apparent that just about every show on air has an almost entirely white cast, and if not entirely, then the leads certainly are.

You really don't want me to make a list, do you?

You complain that there is one channel dedicated to black entertainment, but you're really only annoyed because they have the audacity to call it Black Entertainment Television. While most other channels don't overtly advertise their being White Entertainment Television, it certainly is the case that whites dominate television.

Your diagnosis of blacks in higher education is absolutely absurd. Do me a favor - take a look at the percentages of university enrollment. I can tell you that black enrollment in law schools hovers between 7-9 percent. Since most schools have approx. 200-250 seats per class, that's not even 20 black students per law school.

The rates are similar in virtually every graduate and professional school arena.

The fact that you think blacks are gaining access to higher education because of their skin color rather than their merit is a glaring clue of racism - you might want to check that out.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:52 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times
Quote:
You complain that there is one channel dedicated to black entertainment, but you're really only annoyed because they have the audacity to call it Black Entertainment Television. While most other channels don't overtly advertise their being White Entertainment Television, it certainly is the case.
I agree. Whites don't need a White Entertainment Television since practically the whole media is dominated by whites. It is unfortunate that people are so race conscious in America.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:59 PM

190 posts, read 219,821 times
Whoever posed this question and anyone who answered "yes" is seriously off their rockers. I say this as a white male.

Look around - most people of means, and the rich are by and large white males. Coincidence? I think not. This country was founded on the basis of white superiority - and naturally, whites were in positions of power to ascertain mass amounts of wealth through various (legal and illegal) practices.

Blacks were enslaved, discriminated against, beaten down, etc for hundreds of years. For much of this time, the collective group of black people actually did want to assimilate into mainstream white culture, as have all minority groups who migrated to the US.

As an aside, watch movies and video footage from the 1950's and 1960's, and you will see well spoken, well mannered, and well dressed blacks who wanted successful children and strove for the American dream (there really were no differences in culture between black and white at this time).

However, even during this seemingly progressive time in US history, blatant (and not so blatant) discrimination was a daily reality for many blacks in US. It was then in the '70's that blacks just had enough - and you saw rise and development of black power. Then the '80's saw the hip/hop and thug culture that we still see today as a prevalent example of mainstream black society today.

So when people claim that whites are "discriminated against" I laugh. I think that's petty, ridiculous, and just plain stupid. I mean, yes, there have been some actions put into place to level the playing field - which is likely never to be completely equal - but this is at least an attempt to do what's right.

It's also true that most whites don't hold positions of power, yet most in positions of power are white. So that argument just doesn't amount to much.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:53 PM

195 posts, read 231,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Just quit.

Do you even watch television? Is it not apparent that just about every show on air has an almost entirely white cast, and if not entirely, then the leads certainly are.

You really don't want me to make a list, do you?

You complain that there is one channel dedicated to black entertainment, but you're really only annoyed because they have the audacity to call it Black Entertainment Television. While most other channels don't overtly advertise their being White Entertainment Television, it certainly is the case that whites dominate television.

Your diagnosis of blacks in higher education is absolutely absurd. Do me a favor - take a look at the percentages of university enrollment. I can tell you that black enrollment in law schools hovers between 7-9 percent. Since most schools have approx. 200-250 seats per class, that's not even 20 black students per law school.

The rates are similar in virtually every graduate and professional school arena.

The fact that you think blacks are gaining access to higher education because of their skin color rather than their merit is a glaring clue of racism - you might want to check that out.
You quit. Quit listening to what lefties in this country like yourself rant and rave about how blacks are so oppressed in our country. I have known smart white chicks like myself who couldn't get the financial aid they needed to pay for college, let alone get into prestigious universities because they didn't meet the criteria, which was based on skin color. Hint: it favored blacks. You may not like hearing it, or maybe you do. But, facts are stubborn things, as Ben Franklin would say.

And, no, I really don't watch much TV because I'm busy raising my kids and earning a living. I don't have much time for that indulgence, thanks very much.
The fact that blacks have easier entry into some of the best schools this country has to offer in order to meet racial quotas is a glaring reflection of racism in this country against whites. And every thinking American knows it.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:20 PM

64 posts, read 132,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Can you explain how whites who control the entire power structure in this country from private businesses to government are being discriminated against in huge numbers?
This country was 90% White until the 1965 immigration act; of course the people in power are going to be White...

The thing is, do you see the Middle East, Asia, Africa, etc "embracing diversity"? Why is it that Whites are doing this to themselves?

No other race/people are working to voluntarily hand over their nations and countries to alien peoples. Yet, as Whites, we're told it's an _AWESOME_ thing.

For the White minority in say, South Africa? Do they benefit from affirmative action policies? (Ironically, Africa's most successful nation was ran by Whites until 1994, go figure).

Or do Israeli businesses have affirmative action for their Israeli-Arab residents (not those suffering in occupied Palestine but the 20% of Israel's population which is Arab).

Why is it that only White nations are voluntarily working to become minorities in their own countries while no other peoples are so stupid?

Old 09-04-2007, 10:23 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2kidsmom View Post
You quit. Quit listening to what lefties in this country like yourself rant and rave about how blacks are so oppressed in our country. I have known smart white chicks like myself who couldn't get the financial aid they needed to pay for college, let alone get into prestigious universities because they didn't meet the criteria, which was based on skin color. Hint: it favored blacks. You may not like hearing it, or maybe you do. But, facts are stubborn things, as Ben Franklin would say.

And, no, I really don't watch much TV because I'm busy raising my kids and earning a living. I don't have much time for that indulgence, thanks very much.
The fact that blacks have easier entry into some of the best schools this country has to offer in order to meet racial quotas is a glaring reflection of racism in this country against whites. And every thinking American knows it.
Lady, I've worked in college admissions for a lot of the past 10 years - you can't even tell me the reasons why and why not people are admitted.

Skin color has far less impact than you think - especially in California and Michigan (both of which do not allow race-based admissions).

If you weren't admitted into a university, it was because you were either not qualified, or you weren't thought to be a good fit for a university. Admissions are based on more than just SAT and GPA - your volunteer work, extra-curriculars, and personal essay are a large part of the package, as is where you come from, your family, obstacles overcome, all sorts of things.

Yes, diversity is a goal that most universities cherish. But don't presume that you didn't get a seat in a class because some under-qualified black stole it. That's your own ignorance speaking, and not even approaching the reality of the situation.

Anything other brilliant, unsubstantiated insights you'd like to add?

Old 09-04-2007, 10:26 PM

64 posts, read 132,217 times
Quote:
I mean, when just about every politician, CEO, president of a company, VP, business owner small and large, entertainer, etc., is white (and typically male), shouldn't this be obvious?
Whites built this country and this nation was overwhelmingly White until recently with the 1965 immigration act pushed by certain interests.

Quote:
When a race is systematically told or shown they're nothing but a certain stereotype - lazy, stupid, criminals, illegals, only good athletes, whatever - it's hard to see yourself as anything but.
You do know that 12% of the U.S population is responsible for 52% of all homicides according to the Department of Justice?

And we're concerned about stereotypes? Perhaps the Black community should work to cut down on crime rather than blaming stereotypes, especially when they are accurate.

Quote:
Whites don't suffer this fate so much because they are and always have been the dominant paradigm, the mainstream, the "normal," while minorities are the "other" that are compared not to themselves, but to the white standard.
Asians are 2/3rds of the world's population, there are more Blacks in the world than Whites, who exactly is the minority?

Do White minorities in Asia or Africa get special handouts?

Quote:
I think people blow affirmative action out of proportion, especially in education. There are certain performance gaps between races that haven't been explained with much nuance yet - whites as a race score better on standardized tests than other races.
Untrue. Often Asian-Americans will score higher on standardized testing.

And it's not that they have not been explained, it's that every single time this testing gap comes up, we make excuses. You should of seen what Chicago did when they had to rewrite a test over six times because Blacks kept failing... They kept making excuses except the obvious -- that perhaps intelligence varies by race.

Quote:
So in the sake of diversity, and "leveling the playing field," so to speak, other races are given a slight bump in areas where they may under-perform.
How is it beneficial to give someone a higher test score because of their race if they do not know the material? This is simply insulting and saying "hey! You're not good enough to compete with Asians/Whites/Whatever because your race fails so much more." If anything is racism, it's that.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:49 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
all of these things that you want to call "reverse discrimination" were inacted in response to discrimination that happens to them and cannot be proven under the law. If I choose to rent my house out to white people instead of black people.. it is typically very hard to prove that I discriminated against the black people, ONLY I will know the truth.. so.. I think these little things that happen in our society are the reason for establishing seperate black or hispanic only tv shows or scholarships. Is the logic behind it right? I would say no, But considering everything that goes on in our white majority society, these sorts of programs are a necessity for the young people of minority groups to have a chance. I meet lots of people that constantly speak with an open mind, but don't practice one. They're quick to say.. "I have black friends.. I have gay friends.. rah rah rah.. " but the truth is.. just because you know someone that is.. doesn't mean they are your friend. Also, they speak like this, but turn around in their social circles and speak out of the other sides of their mouths.. and do ACTIONS that are not so open minded as what they profess to be. People aren't stupid.. they can see right thru that... and so.. desperation calls for desperate actions.. and when people FEEL they are of lesser value in our society, then it causes them to create their secular programs and establishments to ensure protection. This is some of the same reason's why chinatowns started in many cities.. We can sit and say.. "why didn't they just conform and become part of us" we didn't give them that option by treating them as sub-citizens.. so they banded together because numbers give u strength...
Logically under the law... I would say.. discrimination is wrong no matter what or who its against.. and I think getting rid of it all together is a bigger picture than.. "they do this.. then I'm going to do THIS" mentality.. it comes down to who does have the bigger influence.. and that is us whites.. who need to start at home and in our own hearts.. to stamp out discrimination so that minorities feel safe to come out of their little safe havens, whether it be chinatowns, seperate schools, or programs.. whatever it may be.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:40 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Lady, I've worked in college admissions for a lot of the past 10 years - you can't even tell me the reasons why and why not people are admitted.

Skin color has far less impact than you think - especially in California and Michigan (both of which do not allow race-based admissions).

If you weren't admitted into a university, it was because you were either not qualified, or you weren't thought to be a good fit for a university. Admissions are based on more than just SAT and GPA - your volunteer work, extra-curriculars, and personal essay are a large part of the package, as is where you come from, your family, obstacles overcome, all sorts of things.

Yes, diversity is a goal that most universities cherish. But don't presume that you didn't get a seat in a class because some under-qualified black stole it. That's your own ignorance speaking, and not even approaching the reality of the situation.

Anything other brilliant, unsubstantiated insights you'd like to add?
So what you are saying that NEVER does race or color EVER is the reason a student in CA. or MI. is denied. EVER......
They don't have racial quotas to fill.... for Gov. funding?
Further more "The Lady I've worked in admissions for 10 yrs is rather rude" Makes you sound pompous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies