Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 01:45 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Back in the 1930's, you couldn't get anywhere near the cronyism you have today.
The American people would not have tolerated it back then, now the left applauds tens of billions of corny-capitalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 01:52 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The American people would not have tolerated it back then, now the left applauds tens of billions of corny-capitalism.
Never heard of Teapot Dome?

Never wondered what fueled those roaring 20's

Old 02-24-2012, 11:35 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Never heard of Teapot Dome?

Never wondered what fueled those roaring 20's
The people did not approve of that scandal back then, so why bring it up?

0bama has his own similar scandal, only in this era of Solyndra-styled green energy crony-capitalism, the dems love, love, love it...

(CNSNews.com) – The Obama administration’s deal to buy 450,000 gallons of biofuel for Navy jets comes at a cost of up to nine times higher than regular fuel

“It’s another Solyndra situation in that they’re trying to keep some of these businesses afloat when the economics just don’t make sense right now. Give them a few million and they will be able to continue to exist,” Dan Simmons, director of state and regulatory affairs at the Institute for Energy Research, a free-market energy think tank, told CNSNews.com.

Navy Biofuel Deal is 'Cost Prohibitive,' 'Another Solyndra,

Old 07-15-2012, 09:57 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Would you like to see a prosperous America, just like the one we had in the 50's and 60's? I sure would. But after doing plenty of research, I have to say the Republican ideology is simply NOT going to achieve this. Ever.

The policies of FDR and his New Deal was what made the U.S. the envy of the world. His policies actually led to a true widespread middle class society, with some poor and rich households here and there. How did he achieve this? He sharply increased taxes on the wealthy. In fact, at one time, the highest tax rate was 91% for the wealthiest earners. Trickle down economics don't work as well as Republicans want you to believe.

I think Obama needs to be more aggressive at taxing the rich, otherwise we are doomed as a nation. I just don't see how we are going to have the tax revenue to pay off the debt and move forward with other projects. Something's gotta give. I mean, even with a 91% tax rate, someone who earns $1 billion a year, such as Warren Buffet, would be left with a whopping $90 million AFTER taxes. Who seriously needs or wants more than that to live happily?

If a Republican is elected, god help us. We can't afford to have anymore tax breaks for the wealthy.
I won't even address what kind of taxes you are thinking of imposing on the WORKING CLASS people who are subject to income tax. I know my spouse and I are a hair's breath away of just quitting it all and walking away--and instead of Washington having an extra $50,000 every year to blow on graft and corruption and wars and corporate welfare and political payoffs, it will get $0. So increasing the tax rates may very well reduce the money government has to spend.

I do have to stress that WELFARE and FDR and the New Deal did NOT create the Middle Class. These things instead created a very heavy tax burden for the Middle Class to bear, a HUGE government with an insatiable need to grow and do power-plays, and a MASSIVE incentive NOT TO WORK (but to have babies when you cannot afford to even feed yourself).

The Middle Class was created by the U.S. having a strong manufacturing sector (and business leadership that was not totally pathologically narcissistic), when WWII had destroyed the manufacturing capability of most other nations in the world. Instead of keeping the paradise we had found, our leaders sold it to China and India and Germany--and now the Middle Class is fast becoming a distant memory. It won't come back until we revoke the idiocy of Free Trade and outsourcing jobs and globalization, and re-build a manufacturing-based economy, or some other productive wealth-producing activities.

Printing fiat currency and moving that money around, as Big Finance and Insurance and Big Government do, creates NO wealth at all. It merely redistributes wealth to the very top.

True, the Republicans are a disaster in Washington--because they are exactly like the Democrats. Big Government in collusion with Big Business, and the Middle Class sold down the river. A Libertarian revolution is the only hope for change, but even then we must get rid of the ultra-rich who pushed this globalization disaster. And how do you get rid of those who run the world and make the decisions? I guess Marie Antoinette and Nicholas Romanov could answer that question, but it took a starving population before things changed. We aren't there yet, but soon.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Would you like to see a prosperous America, just like the one we had in the 50's and 60's? I sure would. But after doing plenty of research, I have to say the Republican ideology is simply NOT going to achieve this. Ever.

The policies of FDR and his New Deal was what made the U.S. the envy of the world. His policies actually led to a true widespread middle class society, with some poor and rich households here and there. How did he achieve this? He sharply increased taxes on the wealthy. In fact, at one time, the highest tax rate was 91% for the wealthiest earners. Trickle down economics don't work as well as Republicans want you to believe.

I think Obama needs to be more aggressive at taxing the rich, otherwise we are doomed as a nation. I just don't see how we are going to have the tax revenue to pay off the debt and move forward with other projects. Something's gotta give. I mean, even with a 91% tax rate, someone who earns $1 billion a year, such as Warren Buffet, would be left with a whopping $90 million AFTER taxes. Who seriously needs or wants more than that to live happily?

If a Republican is elected, god help us. We can't afford to have anymore tax breaks for the wealthy.
If you did just a little more research, you would have caught the news of some extremely wealthy liberals renouncing their citizenship so they can avoid paying these taxes you want to put on them.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:33 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If you did just a little more research, you would have caught the news of some extremely wealthy liberals renouncing their citizenship so they can avoid paying these taxes you want to put on them.
Yep, tons of unAmerican uber wealthy giving up citizenship to avoid paying their fair share to support this country, but where do you get they're all liberals?

Old 07-15-2012, 11:43 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,744,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know what else they had in the 50s? Work ethic. Pride. Lack of rampant credit abuse. A much smaller welfare population. A respect for education.

You think the only reason it seemed better then is because of taxes? Geezo-pizza.

Stronger family ties too.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:46 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Nice try. Everyone knows it is Republicans who thrive in corruption.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:37 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Except that on another thread that you actually started it was shown that Dems are also into corruption up to their eyeballs.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:06 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Don't be ignorant please. Both sides, are guilty as all hell, one as much as the next, so don't give us any crap please as Obama does, we get enough from him. That your sides plus John Edwards, is such a saint right?

Democrats are as corrupt as the next guy out there who is corrupt. Have you not learned anything about politics, politics and corruption, and greed, and agendas, go hand and hand, and lying to get the ingorant people to vote for ya!

Democrats are mighty hypocrities too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies