Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 10:22 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,428 times

Advertisements

Stop with the evil foodstamps and firefighters making 45k per year..Kiss the rings of the wealthy for they are our saviours..The are they the givers of the holy trickle down...
Attached Thumbnails
We seriously need to increase taxes on the wealthy-exxon.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 10:23 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
Wow, Exxon did the same thing that General Electric did?! didn't pay taxes??
If this is true, and wrong, then why is Obama letting GE get away with it?? and.....how many other corporations is BO letting get away with this?

Old 02-05-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Because....

Most rich folks either worked their rears off for what they have or they inherited it from someone that did.

Rich folks provide jobs, excuse me, most of them do.

Many folks are envious of the rich. Others are lazy and feel they are entitled to much of what the rich have, but without themselves having to bust their own rears to get it like the rich have done.

If we overtax the rich what we do is ultimately harm ourselves, all of us. We then destroy the incentive to work hard, and produce much. We then, eventually have less taxable income anyway. (mama used to call this "cutting off your nose to spite your face.)
Wow, I almost threw up in my mouth reading that pathetic nonsense. Most rich people save their money by hiding it in offshore accounts..How many jobs has Mitt Romney provided in the last 15 years excatly? ZERO!!! Stop being so brainwashed.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Wow, Exxon did the same thing that General Electric did?! didn't pay taxes??
If this is true, and wrong, then why is Obama letting GE get away with it?? and.....how many other corporations is BO letting get away with this?
None should get away with that which is why the entire system needs to be fixed. It's tough though when they're sheep like yourself drooling all over the wealthy crying about how they provide jobs..Please.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Be nice, Sunnysee, since Wall St bought Obama, do they not have the right to control how THEIR product is used? (sar) He received more money from them than any candidate in our nations history, and more than the entire 2012 GOP field. But don't foget, he is for the poor (LOL). And who got one of the first Obamacare exemptions-the SEIU who campaigned for it.just a coincidence, of course.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:32 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Wow, I almost threw up in my mouth reading that pathetic nonsense. Most rich people save their money by hiding it in offshore accounts..How many jobs has Mitt Romney provided in the last 15 years excatly? ZERO!!! Stop being so brainwashed.
Sorry, not brainwashed. I am not one of the super-wealthy but I have associates and personal friends that are. They do not hide their wealth offshore. The many are not necessarily tainted by the few that do so. (I mean relative few...we have a citizenry just in our country of an approx. 300 Million folks)

I've never met or heard of a person that was not rich that met a payroll. The rich do. The libs "bite the hand that feeds them" in their insane assault on wanting to tax the rich.

Sure, let's do one thing. Let's make sure that corporations like GE that are in-bed with a presidential administration currently, also have to pay taxes since reports are that they did not, recently.

Rich individuals already pay enough, if not too much.

Let's be fair and stop class warfare which does exist. Across the board, oh 12 percent taxes FOR ALL.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 PM

994 posts, read 724,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post

Stop with the evil foodstamps and firefighters making 45k per year..Kiss the rings of the wealthy for they are our saviours..The are they the givers of the holy trickle down...
Here's the thing: if firefighting was worth more than 45k per year then firefighting jobs that paid 45k per year would go unfilled and they would be forced to raise the pay in order to attract enough qualified applicants.

And trickle down isn't holy. It's just reality. You can resent it all you want, but you're just spitting in the wind. It is what it is.

Every person is either independently wealth themselves or is directly or indirectly dependent upon someone who is. You can't escape that. Any nation that tries eventually runs out of money.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:16 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Would you like to see a prosperous America, just like the one we had in the 50's and 60's? I sure would. But after doing plenty of research, I have to say the Republican ideology is simply NOT going to achieve this. Ever.

The policies of FDR and his New Deal was what made the U.S. the envy of the world. His policies actually led to a true widespread middle class society, with some poor and rich households here and there. How did he achieve this? He sharply increased taxes on the wealthy. In fact, at one time, the highest tax rate was 91% for the wealthiest earners. Trickle down economics don't work as well as Republicans want you to believe.

I think Obama needs to be more aggressive at taxing the rich, otherwise we are doomed as a nation. I just don't see how we are going to have the tax revenue to pay off the debt and move forward with other projects. Something's gotta give. I mean, even with a 91% tax rate, someone who earns $1 billion a year, such as Warren Buffet, would be left with a whopping $90 million AFTER taxes. Who seriously needs or wants more than that to live happily?

If a Republican is elected, god help us. We can't afford to have anymore tax breaks for the wealthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm just basing my facts on a book I am reading by Paul Krugman. Calm down.
as other have said, rather than get all your economic information from someone like krugman, take a few economics courses and study some economic history.

understand also that for the most part the rich DONT PAY TAXES when they can lay them off on others. raise taxes on the rich and they increase prices, decrease portions, lay off people, etc. to maintain their level of income. they also use LEGAL means to shelter their income and put it where the government cant touch it. and that means that the government LOSES revenues in a variety of ways, and the economy slows down.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:21 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
as other have said, rather than get all your economic information from someone like krugman, take a few economics courses and study some economic history.

understand also that for the most part the rich DONT PAY TAXES when they can lay them off on others. raise taxes on the rich and they increase prices, decrease portions, lay off people, etc. to maintain their level of income. they also use LEGAL means to shelter their income and put it where the government cant touch it. and that means that the government LOSES revenues in a variety of ways, and the economy slows down.
I've explained this repeatedly.. It doesn't sink in...

Old 02-05-2012, 11:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I have posted a few threads about how the rich are NOT paying their fair share and some of the responses here have been amazing! People seem to think that taxes on the rich are a bad idea. In my view this line of thinking is absolutely absurd.

There is so much CLARITY that the rich in this country are paying virtually NO taxes because of loopholes in the tax code. Mitt Romney earned $45 million dollars yet paid 14% tax yet the common bloke making $100,000 is paying a marginal rate of close to 50% (in California with payroll taxes included). This is the biggest injustice there is and it needs to stop. Obama has proposed a 30% minimum tax on $1 million+ earnings and that is an EXTREMELY good start.

I believe most on this forum are part of the 99%, so please explain to me why their heart is bleeding for the likes of Mitt Romney who is getting away scott free without paying his fair share?

Subsidizing the rich has become a cottage industry in this country and it needs to STOP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
It's difficult to tell sometimes when someone is being serious and when they are trolling.

For starters, though, you might try the following:

1. Look up the difference between income and capital gains.

2. Try specifying what "fair share" means. What, specifically, would be "fair"?

3. Note that some people actually do have principles that go beyond self interest. Just because Mitt Romney has more money than I do, doesn't mean I am justified in taking it whether it would be in my short term self interest or not.

4. Related to #3, some people are able to see the long term. The less money the rich have for investment today, the fewer jobs there will be tomorrow.
Kkaos2 is right. when we try to determine what a "fair share" is, we have to look at what percentage of taxes collected by the government comes from what group.

the top 1% take home about 19% of the income in this country, and pay nearly 38% of the taxes collected.

the top 50% pay 97% of the taxes collected by the IRS.

given these stats, tell me again how the rich are not paying their fair share? how much more do you want the rich to pay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies